1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

shorty cowboy

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by crushbones, Nov 19, 2009.

1. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

can somebody please tell me if shorty died from "cd" or not?

thank you!!;)

2. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

CD will most definitely effect the dogs performance in the woods. shorty cowboy came from good stock handled by great dogmen. his offspring ended up in the right hands. would i breed to a dog that had CD NO not inless it was bred as good as cowboy & produce what he did. shorty was a FREAK that produce good dogs point plank. my advice to you "crushbones" don't base your yard on a bloodline. base it on good proven stock from good dogmen. don't go buying pups hear & there. save your money & buy a few young dogs that been looked at once or twice. or maybe a bitch with rank then take her to a proven stud that has shown he throw good pups. instead of focussing on shorty cowboy so much why not just look for the best bullyson stuff you can get ???

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2009
  3. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

Yes CD very much did Kill the dog but boy oh boy how much i would lvoeto have a production off of him

4. therealjudge

therealjudge CH Dog

5. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

first i just want to say ur post is right!!...when i first got introduce to bulldogs that was the bloodline this oldtimer had and everything on his yard was hot!!!...i mean crazy hot!!!...i never seen not one dog on his yard that was cold!!...thats why i like that shorty blood so much....mr. ben, i wish i could just go buy a few young dogs thats been looked at once are twice....you have to know somebody to even meet good dogmen...the way things are today ppl are not trying to meet you if they dont already know you and alot of good dogmen are private now..to find something that is proven and go about it the way you are talking about is very, very hard because of the way things are....its alot of ppl where im from that have good bred dogs that i can go to and buy a pup but there dogs are not proven...they are just breeding them off of their paper work...the one dogman i did know has moved and probably has died..ive been on vaction for about 8yrs, ive been home 2yrs now so im basically just getting my feet back wet..its like im a new born baby cause so much has changed...i hear alot of good stuff about other bloodlines but getting them from proven dog or dogmen is hard right now....i only knew 1 person i could get bullyson blood from and that was bobby hall and he's not even texas nomore!....its hard out here BEN!!...lol

6. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

huh?....i never said anything about breeding judge!....did i miss something?..

7. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

crushbones it ain't really that hard. especially being your from the deep south in all. what you want you ain't going to find online in less you know a few folks. so your best bet is to stay local & just get dogs from guys around you. folks don't really mess with greenhorns & from what i can tell your green right now & were green when you took a vacation. just take your time & meet local guys there's plenty of them in your state. a lot of guys are online selling to the public you can find skull/mavrick pups easy. the tight bullyson stuff is harder to get but your right in bullyson country.

8. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

Just curious, does anyone know of any other pics of shorty other than the one on his ped?

9. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

GREEN!!...lol...well, i guess im green then...dont have a problem with being green....good things come to those who are patient...i do have my eyes on a couple of other things...im not buying anything from anybody in my city!!...too many snakes...i will eventually find my way...

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

crushbones: Yes, a dog who has either asymmetical, bowed or crooked legs has CD. CD can be so mild it looks as if the dog is normal & it can be so severe it looks like the dog has seal flippers for paws. Shorty Cowboy was what I would consider on the more heavily moderately affected with his leg bones showing obvious thickening & bowing of the bone with his paws turned out at the wrists.

ben:
    I don't care if the dog produced 100 CH. The fact does not change that he he has a moderate to serious genetic defect that he passed on to all his offspring. Yes, some of his offspring were straight legged. Others meanwhile were not. All - 100% of them - carry the defect.

As for Floyd, Morgan & others not having the same outlook I have, most older dog men don't. They care for gameness above all & to hades with everything else. But what happens when you're getting game dogs who die prematurely from organ defects or you start producing dogs like Tractor Trailer who might have all the heart in the world but are so deformed they can't even walk well, let alone compete?

As for basing their yard on that blood, I never said one couldn't base their yard on it. But if anyone did choose to, I would highly recommend they follow the instructions given in the CD article on Havanese, examine the dogs' legs & cull those who are moderately to severely affected. If they REALLY wanted to better their yard & the breed as a whole they would cull ANY who were CD affected.

CD is not a pit bull only affliction. It has been seen in Malamutes & Shepherds too & at first was disregarded. As a result the disease began to run rampant in their breeds as it will with ours if we're not careful. But the Mal & Shep people got it back under control & even brought it back down to levels where it is now a little seen defect in their breeds by correct breeding & strict culling.

And not to be a butt-hole here, I have to point out that in this day in age where good bulldogs are around every corner, one need not base their yard on a dog who has a genetic defect. Shorty Cowboy was a good dog, a well bred animal & wonderful producer no doubt. But there are other dogs out there who are as well but who are healthy & won't either produce or perpetuate any genetic little nasties.

Again, JMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2009
  11. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

good post ABK!!.....if shorty blood comes my way i dont think i can turn it down...lol....then again it depends on who has that blood too!!.. but u are right about other dogs

12. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I don't blame you for turning it down. I don't want anyone to think I'm bashing on Shorty - if good Shorty blood came my way I'd likely pick it up too. The only thing I'm saying is he DID have a genetic defect & is you just have to cull harder due to that defect he had is all.

13. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

ABK you are right the "old timer's" had it right. as for there being a good bulldog around every corner now you really don't believe that do you? as for the shorty cowboy dogs i seen a few & all were straight legged dogs. whenever his stuff is talked or bobby hall dogs the same pictures are pointed out. for the amount of offspring that came from whisthall or cowboy im definitely sure more straight legged dogs then affected ones. these dogs are dogs of sport & gameness is at the core. culling is a BIG part in breeding & truth be told more culls are being bred then ever. so you can take your chance with what you find "around every corner" if you want to. myself i wouldn't have any problems with the bullyson blood found in the hard to find places. im not trying to "better the breed as a whole" im selfish & want to keep all the good'n on my yard.

14. Robber

Robber Big Dog

I have seen several dogs with this condition in person. I am amazed at how well the ones I have seen cope with it(heart of a bulldog), but it definitely affects them adversely. Bulldogs may be bred for what's inside, not out, and rightly so, but when you have something like this that affects the longterm health and quality of life of the dog, I don't know how you can justify carrying it on.

15. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

i got a question?......i know shorty was very. very good dog.......why doesnt he have champion or gr ch by his name?...was he just a good producer or what?

16. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

because he wasn't matched im sure he was rolled him a time or two. not all good producers were matched some were cold & some were just looked at & skulldruged. just like not all dogs with rank were good producers. you don't breed just to the individual dog you breed to what made the dog. the dogs behind shorty were some of the best bullyson stuff out there.

17. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

hmmmm..interesting!!....i was just wondering because me and a friend of mines had a debate awhile ago about it...so a cold dog can produce a hot dog?

18. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

"hot" is a loose turm thrown around way to much. can a cold dog produce good dogs YES just like a cur can produce "ace" dogs. like i told you when breeding you breed to the family hoping to get the avg of the family.

19. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

oh ok...i understand wat ur saying now!!!

20. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

can somebody pull up ped for hall's tractor trailer?