1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

shorty cowboy

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by crushbones, Nov 19, 2009.

1. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

the only bullyson dogs i have ever seen anything weird from are the stomper dogs like what bobby hall had. really squat short small dogs not all but some that i seen.

2. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Not takin anything from him. I'm just saying i'm sure his proformance would have been better with out it. I don't think age plays much of a factor in development of CD. I know when the dogs get older it really fucks em up. and suck for the dog. i'm thinkin though if you were to get a dog off him w/out and start your program only breeding dogs w/out. It seems to me you could breed it out of them.

Vic

3. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

Look at the Steady Rock Pearl Dog he looks to be built the same way as shorty is

4. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

can sombody post a ped on steddy rock pearl.

5. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

6. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

7. PADogman

PADogman Top Dog

I have no idea.But he did put some real nice dogs out.

8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

lol he has BH .

9. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

wats BH?....blockhead?...lol

10. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

bobby hall

11. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

damn!!!....how dumb of me!!.....ive talked to bobby hall a couple years ago about a pup....hes a good man!!

12. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

ive been gone a long time!!!....alot of stuff has happen that i am not aware....if i say something that is not correct feel free to open my eyes to it so i wont make that mistake again!!

13. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

how did shorty die?....anybody know?

14. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

CD is nothing to take lightly. If it only affected the bones it wouldn't be that much of an issue, but CD also adversely affects internal organs; such as the heart, kidney & liver & that can lead to a shorter lifespan in the dog.

Shorty Cowby, while a fantastic dog, who was very well bred & a good producer, has produced CD offspring. None are as severely affected as he is though. He has also produced unaffected offspring, but they are carriers of the defect.

And yes, Shorty Pearl had CD. CD is easy to see when you just examine the dog's front legs. However please note, all of BH's early dogs were fine, straight-legged specimens. But he started breeding mild CD dogs & ended up producing moderate CD dogs & eventually ended up producing what you see below, a severely affected CD dog. And this is not the only dog of this line I have seen like this from his line. This is what results from breeding with no regard for using CD stock:

[​IMG]

(Hall's Tractor Trailer)

And even if you don't get any affected dogs, since CD is considered an autosomal recessive, you can get carriers who will continue to perpetuate the defect throughout the breed.

If you want to learn more about CD & how to identify it, please see the links below. One of the links is on CD in the Havanese, but all the info therein will apply to our breed as well:

Congenital Disorder Causes Front Leg Deformity in Dogs

Chondrodysplasia in Havanese

And just as a bit of GWI, the CD defect is the same which gives bullies their thick boned, short legged look. It could either have been selectively bred for within the gene pool or introduced by breeding to a CD breed such as the English Bulldog. Either way, a fancier who disregards CD & thinks it's OK to breed CD dogs, is really in fact no better than a bully breeder, as you both think it's OK to breed a dog displaying the same defect.

Just some food for thought.

15. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

Thanks for putting it out there like it is.

16. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

interesting!!....so dogs that are not striaght leg have "cd"?....now that i think about it my dog had "cd"...not knowing about "cd" i thought that was just the way he was built..good write up!

17. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

LOL ABK shorty cowboy produce 3 ROM dogs a few ch & many winners. & them dogs produce ch & winners & they were all straight legged dogs. his siblings were good dogs some made ch & produce good dogs as well. some of the folks that used that blood were some of the best dogmen around. it's funny you seem to think the shorty cowboy dogs are genetically affected. but floyd ,toogy, morgan didn't have the same outlook you have. & neather did the folks that based yards on that blood.

18. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

he was very much of a ROM

19. All about Pits

All about Pits Big Dog

Yes he did catch Chrondylphasia meaning that his legs are really jacked up and his hips are to

20. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

im basing my yard of this bloodline...might have a couple more lines on the yard but this will be my base!!....the last couple of days ive been reading up on this "cd" and talking to alot of ppl about "cd" just to get there opinion...some say it hampers the dog performance some say it doesnt...i do believe both parties have a argument....BUT...from my knowledge of the shorty bloodline and ive seen a handful of these dogs, it didnt affect their performance...i know one thing...whoever has owned 1 of these dogs have nothing but good things to say about it except for the "cd"...im just getting my feet back on the ground and i might be wrong but i believe i will live with the "cd" for now...i might change my mind in a couple of years but for now, anything that comes off shorty can have a home on my yard!!...