1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Scrap with a Raccoon

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Grim, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Grim

Grim Pup

I have a 10.5 month old female went in the back yard and a Raccoon took off for the woods. To my surprise she darted off and grabed it by its back and flipped it over. It grabbed her face and she popped off and then when it turned to run she would grab it again. Everytime I tried to grab her she would avoid my hand and has never acted like that before. I finally grabbed her, and the raccoon finally got in the woods and dissapeared. She was huffing and what not I have never seen her so agitated. Anyways my question is how much do I have to worry about? My dog is fully vaccinated but can a raccoon actually harm a pit bull? I clearly saw it bite my dog and I can't even find a mark on her. I am just curious if I ever get into this situation again since I live in a very rural area and there are more raccoons then people.

2. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

i would get her a booster rabies shot within 5 days,,raccoons,,skunks and bats are the main carriers of rabies,,I would do that for sure,,there was a dog by me that contracted rabies from a raccoon,,same situation and got rabies,,zoonosis and bio-security is part of my degree.

3. simms

simms CH Dog

HEHEHEHEHE, hopefuly that vermon wont be back for more...cause your dog will being looking for it....anticipating it, LOL.

Wont hurt to get a booster vx, if that's what your asking.

4. simms

simms CH Dog

That's very cool :)

Have you seen a rise in lepto in your area?

5. Grim

Grim Pup

My dog is vaccinated from leptospirosis, do I really need a booster wouldn't you be able to tell if the raccoon had rabies? Such as acting abnormal like not running off?

6. simms

simms CH Dog

the way you described the situation the racoon tried to flee....met with a threat a grown/adalecent racoon will try to defend it's self.

Go get your dog a booster vx.

The question about lepto was for Catcher T

7. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

not that I have seen or heard of,,really mostly rabies cases,,one in a horse,,a couple of coons.

8. i,ll would get a rabies booster to be on the safe side. Did your dog get the best of it?

9. Attila

Attila Guest

Would you know if the coon had rabies. It depends on what stage of rabies the coon was in. It isn't something you know of right away. Best thing is always keeping up on your vaccinations and if your dog has a fight with a wild animal or a tame one for that matter have your dog checked by a vet. This not only helps in early detection of a problem and puts on paper why your dog has those scars just in case you have trouble later and you need to explain why your pit has scars. Unfourtunately we don't live in Pit bull friendly times in most places it seems.

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Strange the coon ran off, as simms said, they will normally stand their ground against a dog. They can take most dogs, they dont know the diffrence between them and a bulldog until its too late. LOL

You got very lucky your pup wasnt badly injured, they will tear a dog up pretty good (bulldog or not) and normally leave scars. Odin got a large coon about 2-3 months ago and scared him up pretty good, if AC comes I have no doubt what they will try to say. It is a sad day for bulldogs when you cant take a APBT with coon marks on it to the vet for fear of being turned in for dog-fighting. Not that I needed to, but others that dont know how to care for the situation may be forced to have a vet clean em up.

On a similar note, I've actually seen a dog get killed by a coon. It was on a hunting trip, a German Shorthair, found a coon and fought it, tore his muzzle damn near off, sent him into shock from loss of fluids and he died of infection a few days later (even though the dog was taken to the vet and on AB's). They arent too be taken lightly by most dogs.

11. the_flamingo

the_flamingo Top Dog

Jaha's got little white hairs all over his head from his scrap with a opossom last year. After I got Jaha off him he slumped of barely alive, but that damn little bugger tore the hell out of Jaha's head.

12. pepper_mommy

pepper_mommy Big Dog

good god 14rock, what a story! thats awful about the dog killed by the racoon!

13. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

My dog ran into a similar situation when he was about 9 months old. We were walking in a field when a full grown ground hog bolted from under a bush. Well bruno didn't hesistate he ran right after it, by the time i reached him he was shaking the ground hog while the ground hog was clamped down on his cheek. Once i finally got him off of the ground hog he had a cut on his cheek so i called the vet. The vet said just clean it out with peroxide and don't worry about shots because he already got his rabbies shot.

14. Phebes

Phebes Guest

I live in the woods with many racoons so I asked my vet about vaccine and if the dog is bitten. Vet said the vaccine claims to be 96% effective but in reality it is only about 86% effective that is why all animal hospital personel get regular rabies booster shots. Take the dog to the vet !!!!!

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

If you see a coon in the day time period be warry. Cause there naturally nocturnal (sp). And sick one will venture out in the day. As healthy ones will stay hid till night fall. So booster aint a bad idea.

16. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

very true Buck. you know them are the sick ones, so they get the .223(or whatevers in the jeep at the time)
    and Simms was right as well, them silly bastards will stand their ground vs a dog

17. Rock n Rye

Rock n Rye CH Dog

Seen plenty of bulldogs whip coons.. If it was another breed I'd been worried but that lol pup had the time if it's life everyday you watch she will go running to same spot she first seen him praying he return.. Raccoons are mostly nocturnal but they are active during day.. Do you feed your dog outside or recently have food out there? Probably been back there before a time or two looking for some grub...I'd be more worried about a possum then a coon.. Possums are some nasty lil bastards and them claws chop chop slice

18. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

possums, coons, yotes, they don't stand a chance wit my dogs!

19. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

I broke one of my bitches off a male yote a while back, I felt sorry for it! Nearly got bit by the dam thing.

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

youre must have no fear of a nasty bite.:eek: i'll either get close and end it for em, or i let my dog do it. i dont call em in or run em down just to turn em loose again