1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

SB139-143 Bites Back Against Vicious Dogs

Discussion in 'Laws & Legislation' started by CHATNJACK, Jan 31, 2007.

1. CHATNJACK

CHATNJACK Big Dog

Senator Jackson Bites Back Against Vicious Dogs
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]posted January 31, 2007[/font]

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_100805.asp

Senator Doug Jackson (D-Dickson) unveiled a package of bills designed to take a bite out of the recent increase in attacks by vicious dogs.

“Dogs make great pets,” Mr. Jackson said. “But when a dog attacks, it can be deadly. Most victims are children and the elderly. Many victims are disfigured for life or even killed. Our current law does very little to punish owners of vicious dogs. This package of legislation will put real teeth into the law.”

Senator Jackson’s bills (SB139-143) create penalties for dog owners who allow their dogs to run at-large if that dog attacks an innocent victim. The legislation closes the current loopholes that allow owners of vicious dogs to escape penalty. The largest loophole is the so-called “first-bite free” rule that says the first time a dog bites or attacks someone, the owner is not held liable. Mr. Jackson’s bills would end that practice.

Senator Jackson sets out a range of very stiff penalties for owners whose dogs attack individuals. The penalties range from a year in prison and a $2500 fine (Class A misdemeanor) all the way up to 3-17 years in prison (Class C felony).

"Owners of vicious dogs beware,” he said. “When a dog attacks, it’s serious. The punishment should fit the crime.” He pointed to an increasing number of dog attacks as evidence of the need for his legislation. They included recent cases in Nashville when a woman was killed by a dog attack and in Shelbyville when another woman was seriously injured in an attack.

2. jaystreetsA4

jaystreetsA4 Top Dog

what u guys think?

3. Pitbull219

Pitbull219 CH Dog

I don't see anything metioning a specific breed, and it seems to place blame on the end of the leash that it should. No problem with this in my book......

4. brat pack

brat pack Top Dog

Seems good to me as well. Seems to punish no specific breed, just bad, irresponsible owners.

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I think this is great. This is not BSL as this applies to anyone with any breed or mixed breed. And I'm in full agreement that there should not be a "1st bite is free" rule. That is the stupidest rule & IMO, NO dog should get a 2nd chance. If we euthanized every dog that bites (w/the exception of defending it's owners from harm), then we would eliminate a huge portion of the problem dogs.

6. Attila

Attila Guest

I worry on what will coat tail this bill. Not this bill in itself but what rides with it.

7. Attila

Attila Guest

That is a question I have will they take that into effect or just kill your dog for defending against an intruder or some one will ill intentions. I would like to know that my dogs are safe from intruders and if one trys my Shar-pei can have the SOB for dinner at least untill I can shoot the intruder. Or the cops arrive and tend to the intruder with out harming my dogs doing so. I just have a hard time believing that will happen.

8. CHATNJACK

CHATNJACK Big Dog

I received the "ALERT" in an e-mail from a Yahoo BSL Group I'm a member of and wanted to pass it along. Since I don't live in TN, I hope someone who lives in the area can keep an eye on the situation for the exact same reasons you've expressed Attila.

9. Suki

Suki Guest

I like the idea of the stiffer penalities:
    Senator Jackson sets out a range of very stiff penalties for owners whose dogs attack individuals. The penalties range from a year in prison and a $2500 fine (Class A misdemeanor) all the way up to 3-17 years in prison (Class C felony).

perhaps if penalities were stifffer across the board then there would less first time offenders, and virtually no second time offenders=too costly, time and money wise.

I also like that it's not breed specific=very fair, imo.

10. Attila

Attila Guest

Yah I don't live in Tennessee but I travel there allot.

11. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

That is a step in the right direction. We always say "punish the deed and not the breed". So we IMO have to support strong laws that punish those who can't or won't control their dogs. It dosen't say anything about breed that I saw, so I support his approach.

12. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

Glad some politician has a logical thought process.

13. Michele

Michele Guest

this sounds good to me. It doesn't target a specific breed. What it does target is bad dog owners and that's where the blame should go.