1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Sarcoptic mange

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Crash97, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I need a good sound method of ridding a dog of this. Ivomec? If so what doseage? Thanks.

2. searkkennels

searkkennels Big Dog

1/10 cc per lb of body weight daily also dip in amitraz once a week until it is gone. hope this helps

3. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

best thing for me has been HeartGaurd PLUS (25-50#/50-100#)and feeding premium diet such as Canidae to those.......

"1/10 cc per lb of body weight daily also dip in amitraz once a week until it is gone. hope this helps"

I also tried one called Mitoban.....worked so so.....

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2005
  4. searkkennels

searkkennels Big Dog

yea fify, the heart guard and any other type of heartworm preventative is ivomec and something else. they jus sell it for more and it is easier for people to give but i would go with the ivomec daily, JMo. i forgot to add that about feeding high grade food like canidae.

5. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

nothin like a lilttle lyme sulfur to clear it up. 2-3 dips usually does the tricks, but we all know to do it OUTSIDE!! (the rotten egg smell can really ruin dinner inside ;) )

6. The Watcher

"lyme sulfur "
    as in NUSTOCK??

7. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

not familiar with NuStock........:confused:

8. The Watcher

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2005
  9. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

i hear that nustock works well for the mange, but i can testify to the fact that it will heal just about any wound a dog or horse could ever have, we have used it for years on our horses and recently started using it on the dogs, i have never found anything that works so well!!!!!!

10. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Ok...I have my Ivomec solution for Heartworm prevention, could that be used? It's 1 part Ivomec to 10 parts Propylene Glycol.

As far as Nu-Stock goes....I've never been able to find it around here. I'm gonna go look around the feed stores for anything useable tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  11. searkkennels

searkkennels Big Dog

yeah man that is what u use. if you want the nu stock, check in a farm store or order it online. but make sure you dip in amitraz as well

12. Madusa

Madusa CH Dog

13. lilpitgirl

lilpitgirl Guest

are you sure its sarcoptic mange ? you know that it is Highly contagious other dogs and even you can get it (scabies)
    or is it demodex mange

14. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

Are you saying that feeding an inferior diet CAn actualy cause or promote some types of mange, or that feeding a premium food can help in treating it?

15. The Watcher

both IFO,
    I have some that demodex did not appear till after leaving my yard. Owner did not feed Canidae as recomended. Dogs were fed "pro balance" by new owner, demodex appeared weeks after.
    These same dogs where put back on Canidae followed by monthly heartworm and CPL Nu-Stock treatments, skin has not broke out again. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2005
  16. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Very true.Sarcoptic mange is contagious to all dogs and humans et al.Find a spot on(Advantage/Revolution) that takes care of ear mites.I beleive it takes care of this mite as well.

17. Whiskey Bay

Whiskey Bay Top Dog

Mia, Nustock is just a sulfur based wound dressing.It has been used in treating all types of wounds and demodex.

We've never used Amitraz(Mitaban) for Sarcoptic mange.You can find either a lyme sulfur dip or Paramite works real well for it.Now on the other hand,if it is DEMODEX, that's when you could use the Amittraz(Mitaban).All of these listed dips really need to be done outside.The Paramite and Amitraz call for wearing gloves when using the dips.They all emit a strong wrenching smell,and if you have a weak stomache,the Lyme sulfur may get to you with it's horrible rotten egg/sulfuric smell.

The best thing to do is to have your vet check it out and do a scraping to find out for sure what form it is,and if it is actually mange.A lot of allergies tend to give a dog mange like symptoms.In all cases ,feeding a good diet and watching their work schedule and environment should aid in clearing it up.

18. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

Where could I find the sulfur dips? Would a feedstore have them? Thanks.

19. The Watcher

I think so Crash-

20. BlackSeal

BlackSeal Pup

Food is very important, however canidae is now all what its talked up to be.

Personally, after 9 months on canidae, my dogs lost taste for it and are now healthier back on diamond. My freinds at our local feed store have had the same results with thier dogs.