1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Salmon Oil and other Healthy Alternatives

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Vicki, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Salmon Oil

Salmon oil is touted to be great for our dogs coats, skin allergies, and joint problems. Sounds great!

Joe Craven from EssayWritingServices.com raises show dogs and took the time to enlighten me about the pros and cons of salmon oil. He regularly gives his dogs salmon oil, because there are so many health benefits. Together, we were able to find the benefits and downsides to salmon oil and being new to the product, I was pretty surprised by the downsides…

Benefits of salmon oil for dogs:

Improve the coat and skin condition of the dog, make it soft and shiny.
    It helps in producing more collagen
    It helps to prevent skin allergies
    Dosage of about 1000 mg per 10 lbs of dog weight can prevent arthritis
    Fish oil is useful in the treatment of kidney problems (frequent urination, loss of appetite)
    Appearance of joint problems, like arthritis, is lessened.
    Salmon oil helps alleviate inflammation, fights heart disease, and prevents renal disease.
    It*s preventative against cancer.

Downsides of salmon oil for dogs:

Weight gain; this can be managed with a healthy diet and regular exercise
    Bad breath (it is salmon oil); this can be resolved by regularly cleaning their teeth
    Stomach pain, dizziness and nausea; not all dogs have this reaction, but you should watch your dog to be sure that s/he is compatible with salmon oil
    Loose stool and diarrhea; it*s not clear if this is lasting, but it could be a sign that your dog isn*t taking to the salmon oil well

Salmon oil can go bad and you want to pay attention to a use by date on the bottle to make sure that you*re not feeding your dog expired oil.

We purchased Nature*s Made fish oil capsules to give it a try (this isn*t salmon oil, as I originally thought, but fish oil). Nature*s Made is a product that has great reviews and you can pick up two large bottles of the capsules for under $20.00. I puncture one capsule for each bowl of dog food (three total) and the dogs love it. They*re chomping at the bit to eat when they smell the fish oil. Each capsule is 1200 mg and we give each dog a pill 3x a week to start.

And don*t worry, the capsules aren*t smelly. I had to put my nose to them to get a whiff. Whew, fishy. I recommend that you wash your hands thoroughly afterwards, because you will get the oil on your hands and you don*t want that soaking into your skin for the day.

Olive Oil

Carol Firenze is the author of the book - The Passionate Olive * 101 Thing to do with Olive Oil. She wrote a chapter for pet owners and shared the following benefits of drizzling olive oil on their food…

On the Inside…Internal

Shine your Pet*s Coat & Keep your Pet Healthy
    To Slow Down the Shedding Process
    Prevent “Hairballs” in Cats

On the Outside…External

Massage your Pet
    Remove Ticks
    Soothe Ears
    Lubricate the Skin on Your Pet*s Nose
    Lubricate your Dog*s Paws
    Give your Pet a Peticure
    Remove “Ice Balls” from an Animal‘s Fur or Paws

I*ve read that some dog owners give their dogs sardines in olive oil as a treat. I*ve also read that olive oil can be harmful to dogs, but his was on a site that promoted krill oil so I*m uncertain of the validity of the statement. See what I mean about the pros and cons?
    The only common warning that I found is that if a dog has a health issue that is prompting dog owners to use olive oil, be sure to check with your vet first, because olive oil doesn*t cure everything and the issue may be something that does require medical attention.

Coconut Oil

Jennifer Kehres was kind enough to enlighten me about Coconut Oil, which she gives regularly to her dog and I would not have considered as an option. If you*re concerned about (or don*t like) the salmon smell, then coconut oil sounds like a fantastic alternative. Since communicating with Jennifer, I found out that a colleague also gives her dogs coconut oil and they love it.

“Our gluten-free, dairy-free, coconut oil loving Shih Tzu loves it! Coconut oil helps prevent and reduce itchiness and is good for her overall health too.” ~ Jennifer Kehres

Benefits

Reduces pet allergies and clears up skin conditions
    Improves digestion and reduces “doggie breath”
    Aids in arthritis or ligament problems

I*ve also learned that coconut oil…

Is less toxic than fish oil
    If applied topically, treats and aids is faster healing of wounds
    Prevents and treats yeast and fungal infections
    Helps prevent or control diabetes
    Helps reduce weight and increase energy

But is coconut oil healthy? Coconut oil gets a bad rap, “because its main component is saturated fat,” which seems to contradict the claim that it helps reduce weight. Holistic veterinarian Dr. Karen Becker says “I recommend 1/4 teaspoon of coconut oil for every 10 pounds of body weight twice daily.”
    Before you run to the store to get coconut oil, double check with your veterinarian. It*s a great option and there is a lot of information promoting it*s benefits, but, as you know, the news changes all the time and hopefully your veterinarian is up to date on the latest news.

Krill Oil

Krill oil is derived from shell fish and contains the omga-3 fatty acids DHA and EPA along antioxidents. I read that some feel that Krill Oil is superior to salmon oil partly because it*s easy for our bodies to absorb it allowing it to do more good. In fact, there is a site devoted to promoting krill oil.

Benefits:

Effective in weight loss
    No fishy after taste
    Longer shelf life than salmon oil
    More easily aborbed into the body, so you don*t need as much

Downsides:

More expensive
    Not for animals (or people) who are allergic to shell fish. I have no idea if our dogs have shell fish allergies either.

You can read more about the Difference Between Krill Oil and Salmon Oil HERE: Difference Between Krill Oil & Salmon Oil | eHow.com. And like with the other oil options mentioned here, double check with your veterinarian, before adding krill oil to your dog*s diet.

The Bombshell About Salmon Oil for Dogs and Other Healthy Alternatives | Keep the Tail Wagging | Random Thoughts of a Dog Mom

2. Staub

Staub Big Dog

Good info thanks!

3. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Just got me a 32oz bottle of Salmon oil yesterday for $5. Bottle expires in 6mo so it was marked down. Also bought some more vetrycin $30 bottle for $5, some betadine $25 FOR $3. They also had safegaurd wormer packs for $3 each probiotics all kinds of stuff on clearance. Check your feed stores clearance shelf. I can use the salmon oil in 6mo I believe.

4. Beatrix Kiddo

Beatrix Kiddo Top Dog

I have a question about different ingredients in salmon oil. I've noticed some have tocopherol, a vitamin E chemical. I have been purchasing salmon oil that does not contain this chemical. What are your thoughts on it? Should i switch to the brands that include tocopherol?

5. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Not so sure on the benefits or side effects of feeding 1w/ or w/out tocopherol. From my gut instinct I would say I try to stay away from anything that is chemical based. If I can get it Organic then I do so. I guess I have something new to look into. Thanks

6. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

7. Vicki

Vicki Administrator Staff Member

Tocopherol is a naturally occurring chemical element found in all sorts of foods. It is commonly called vitamin E in a generic sense, as vitamin E substances are made up of tocopherol and similar elements.

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

whet germ oil

9. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Nothing thuse more then your dogs generals health as performer RPM health Tonic. salmon oil is kind of a gimmic when you buy it.
    it ofthen only containes 10% OF REAL SALMON OIL.
    If your that keen on using oil then go for Cod liver oil insted that thuse mutch more then salmon oil will ever do.

Performer rpm tonic contains more then 18 different amino acids iron vitamins AND other GOODIES. Results on DOGS with sefear coat and hair problems is nothing short of amazing!!. and visable in less then 3 weeks. older dogs who are stiff and soar wil look and move like they are 3 years yonger.. pregnand bitches and ore dogs in training wil get a awesome boost with very bright shining eyes, shiny coats and wet noses al 3 are a indication of good overal health.
    pups are born real big, with thick furry coats, and males get a higher sperm count. and in combination with natural white e bitches get a larger eg production....
    some of the amino assids in there stimulate the sexual hormons and others stimulate muscle grow in the righ way!!. not bulk but lean iron muscle.. We have had bitches producing loads of milk 4 weeks afther being bred. seeing the resulds is beliving it.

10. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Is there a link?

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

cod liver oil is good, but you CAN overdose on vitamin D (& e i believe..maybe wrong tho)... so i just stick to salmon oil...

12. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

13. treezpitz

Whether it's salmon oil or the products limey is pushing, you have to take the manufacturer on their word that you're getting what you are told. Any of those products are the same as salmon oil limey, how do you know 100% what's in those products? You don't, you're taking their word. Not saying the ones you named are any better or worse but you don't know what's in those products just like I don't know if my salmon oil is what you claim it is.

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

The salmon oil I buy is 100% alaskan salmon oil... unless they lied to me, but its not marketed for the pet industry...

15. treezpitz

Yea, mine isn't either but the way he was wording it is salmon oil is a rip off. All I was saying is we all COULD BE lied to and we don't know it, including his suggestions.

16. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

I dunno about europe but if its sold in corperate franchise here in america, it has to pass aafco certification. That goes for all food grade items I believe.

17. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

I do know!!. and im not pushing any product, i just state out of ecsperiense wich has taken a rout that so far so has lasted 30 years... My son imports lots of difrened suplemends from across the world and stuf IS being tested. remember the fraze ""you can only sell bullshit for so long""!!.. Now IF and i say IF its 100% pure salmon oil what Laced with game is refearing to, ``wich i dont belive becuase it would make it to ecspensif to sell of``.. then it would be a good product. But iven then it wil not take care of a coat-skin problems as wel as the health tonic thuse..

18. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Ingredients:Fish Oil (100% derived from free-swimming, wild Alaska salmon), softgel (porcine gelatin, glycerin, and water), tocopherol (Vitamin E) to preserve freshness (Vitamin E is plant derived and may come from soy)...

altho THEY use 100% fish-salmon oil
    that thussend mean its 100% salmon oil in your bottle ore capsels... as you can see gelatine to make it thikker and water to up the volume and glycerine. sure this is going anal. but like i said 1005 pure salmon oil is way to ecspensif to sell of and there would be no more salmons left in this world. if they would use an sell 100% pure oil..

19. dog666

dog666 Pup

Limey as soon as a topic starts about food or this you are pushing your products.
    You're just a salesman and a bad 1 in my opinion, everything you have for sale is twice the price it cost when i order it my self.
    Stillwater collars.
    Shane: 15 $, when i buy 10 115 $
    You 32,31 $ for a single collar.

The same with the food i can get red mills or gain for at least 10/15 euro cheaper then when i would buy it from you.
    Not that i wil give my dogs that stuff since it has chemical anti oxidants in it wich is know to cause cancer.
    It's already forbidden in human food but hey what the hell they are just dogs LOL.

Now please explain to me what the benefits are in giving my dogs a tonic that is filled with amino acids for maintenance.
    I just don't get it because when you give your dog good food it don't need it at all.
    It's a different story when they are in a keep but you push this stuff to any novice that they should use it for maintenance, why ?
    And again i can get they same ingredients cheaper then as you sell it for, like most iif not all the stuff you are trying to sell.

20. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Doggy666 wat is your problem!!. Dont you like me , did i bully you at school!!. Was my motorcicle ore my car faster then yours!!??.. Did i take your girlfrind away from you!!??..could it be that my dogs have been beter then yours???. . for the record still water collars go for 23$$ wich includes overseas shipend costs/import TAXES, SALES TAX, same gose for the dogffood .YOU DO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO DO PAY TAXES WITH A LEGIT COMPANY who make aliving and pay the rent ecetera.
    as for canser.... Most dogs in this world die befor they iven get canser and the ones that do are wel over 10/12 years old. No proofe has EVER been given that red mills causes canser due to a antioxidant aspecialy from one of the leading Greyhound food companies in the world wich as you might know is a profesional dog sports scene involving lots and lots of money and stakes.... Your falowing the massa histery of rediculess SBT/AM staff people on a compleat rooky board filled with houswifes. who have couch potatoce. and have nothing els to do all day waching soap operas and bitch and moan about rediculess dog stuff.... Bij the way you should be more worried about the meat your eating. Havend you lookt at the tv latey..
    As for GAIN show me your prices!! as i have been aproched bij GAIN themselfs if i could supply dogman from Germany and other euopean countries, and askt us if we can take on more stok!!!!.
    So far so we are the only one selling it. There are a couple of copy cats out there who dwell and try to sail on our sucses and jump on the bandwagon....
    There is only one diferens tho . WE ARE SUCSESFULL AT IT!!.
    THEY CAN NOT GIVE SPECIFIC CUSTOM ADVICE AND WOULD SCREW YOUR DOGS UP ADVISING THE WRONG SUPLEMENDS . AND THE WRONG FOOD. SO YOU SEE THERE IS MORE TO IT THEN JUST SELLING DOGFOOD AND SUPLEMENDS.. Last but not least ,as to awnser your question about the performer rpm health tonic YOU dont get a lot of things, as you to are a wannabee and a novice that hides behind a screen with a internet name where you can be al big and bad. And tell your wannabee frinds LOOK i argued with a oldtimer seasoned dogman. you moron. THERE ARE THOUSEND OUT THERE LIKE YOU. Get a life iven beter get a dog career fool around 20/30 years and come back at me when you feel your bad enoughf to call out. till then Fu.k you very mutch.. No lets go on with oure topic about discussing Salmon oil and OTHER ALTERNATIFS. insted of trying to defaul the topic and start another senseless fruteless redicules discussion directed and aimed at a person..