1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Salivary Cyst

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by c-murda, Nov 10, 2009.

1. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

Just wanted to inquire if any members have had any experience dealing with a dog who developed a salivary cyst aka a salivary mucocele. From my other inquiries on the subject, the only cure is removal of the cyst and the salivary gland on the affected side. I was just wondering if anyone has dealt with these in their experiences. I have. Just never heard of it till it happened to one of my own bulldogs.

2. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

no other way to get rid of it besides to remove it. some reports of using tetracyline helping, consult with your vet on that. it's basically a rip in the gland or duct with the saliva pooling under the skin. they are not very good at healing on their own.

3. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

Thank you for your reply. That's what I figured also. Good veterinarians are few and far between where i'm located but I do have a good bulldog buddy whose recommended a good one. The other I went to only gave the dog a shot of Cefazolin and a bottle of amoxicillin and sent me on my way. I was thinking , what an idiot; I could have did that myself at the house. Thanks again for your reply.

4. genevieve

genevieve Big Dog

no problem. that is a surgery i would leave to a board certified surgeon. there is a whole bunch of scary stuff (nerves, vessels, lymph nodes) in that area.

5. Dreamer

Dreamer Big Dog

Yes, most general practitioners won't do that surgery -- very involved, delicate area...you will probably need a referral....

Dreamer

6. Eli01

Eli01 Pup

To take of the that problem I agree with the rest of everyone you will need to have the cyst removed also keep in mind even if having it removed there is a chance it might grow back over time if the surgeon does not clean it out well enough. Sorry to hear that about your dog. hope it turns out well for you.

7. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

A short update on the salivary mucocele. Had it removed by a very competent veterinarian. I assisted for him and he only charged me $300. Dogs recuperating fine crated in the living room. The cyst itself was full of what looked like strawberry jam. The gland under all that mess was removed and the site cleaned up and sutures used to close off the ducts on that side. He has a drain in place now. Dog didn't bleed much in surgery. I dried him out properly before taking him in. He seems little worse for wear. He wants to get back outside every chance he gets. Even though its in the 20's. Thank you everyone for sound medical advice and support.:)