1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rubs from collar on neck

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by mikeyntaylor, Aug 25, 2013.

1. My boy has rubs on his neck from his collar. I tried nylon and leather both do it.
    Everytime I walk him he rips the scabs open and his neck is raw.
    I tried harness for walking and he got rubs under his legs from it.
    Any suggestion for a good collar that wont rub his neck all up.

2. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

I got the same thing after useing canvas collars...i don't care who made/r/sell's them there all the same ,,,the cheap skinny leather collars are the only ones that seem ok....don't leave them canvas collars on long-term....one bitch got infection in neck after one ,,,,cleared it up by putting her in a penn....??????????????????????????????????????????ps:all-ways check your dog's neck etc;etc;...............

3. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

Just a thought maybe you have the collar/harness too tight?

4. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

2-tight/r/2-lose .............just got friction burns off these collars...thats me....should not have tried to fix some-thing, that was not broke....??????

5. Hopefully the padded one works for me. He is not even out on a chain. He is a house dog but when I exercise him he is a beast and pulls. I let him so he can burn some energy off but his poor neck is taking a beating.

6. I had it on loose enough in the beginning at least I think I did and then when it rubbed him I tightened it up so it would go higher up on his neck but still did the same thing. I am going to try the obriens padded collar and see what happens. I have been leaving the collar off in the house and I havent been walking him to let it heal and just let him play with his tire to tire him out but he def. needs his walks.

7. ryan

ryan Pup

We had the same problem with collars irritating our dog's neck. We found that hemp collars worked well, but we never felt comfortable walking her on a 1" inch snap collar so we used a hemp harness which works very well. The hemp harness was very durable contrary to what one might think. The harness seemed to cause her to pull a bit more so we ordered a 1.5" collar with deerskin lining from Stillwater Kennel Supplies (thanks Shane!) and it hasn't irritated our dog's skin at all. Best of luck finding something that works for your dog.

8. ABD456

ABD456 Big Dog

Try feeding different food, his hair maybe coming out too easily and that is usually a food problem

9. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Just try a padded collar.I have heard really good things about bulldog supply padded collars.Very tough from what i hear.Also i put a collar on tight enough to slide 2 fingers under it.

10. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Bulldogs supply company padded collars...the best money can buy