1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Rest in Peace my friend

Discussion in 'R.I.P.' started by jr Pit Guy, Oct 15, 2007.

1. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

They say everyone has thier favorite, one that changed thier life. That one was Duke. He came to me as a pup, from good lines. He is the one that I always brag on, but most importantly, he was mostly a pampered bulldog that was my childrens' best friend. Duke had proven himself a good bulldog to me several times over and will always have a spot in my heart. Duke was down from mostly Hemphill lines with a Colby cross, which is hard enough to come by, but the breeder that he came from was the result of nearly fifteen years of hard work.

Well, I guess it's partly my fault, stupid me. I had been keeping him outside because Nala was in heat, which was punishment for him because he usually sleeps inside. There was a storm last night, and as much as I wanted him in, I didn't want to have an accidental pregnancy. He must have gotten scared or seen something, because... when I went outside this morning, there he was, hung by his collar. I freaked out and tried everything to bring him back, but it was too late. I feel stupid, and depressed at this same time. He was more than just another one of my dogs, he was my best friend. All of this happening not more than four months after my German Shepard passed of old age.

At this time, I have already taken his body to my dad's in the country and buried him on the hillside. I... don't know what else to say right now as I am in tears writing this. I will post a pic of him with my daughter soon, to show how much he will be missed, but I need a few days and a few more beers right now.

Rest in Peace Duke, we'll meet again.

Rago's Duke (April, 1, 2004 - October 15, 2007)

[​IMG]

2. short1

short1 Big Dog

oh IM so sorry to here this I now how hard it is to loose a good one

3. Suki

Suki Guest

:( Damn sorry to be reading this.......

I had a member on here call me once, telling me about a similar situation that happened to him, and he was crying as we spoke. (got me crying, too) so i can understand your sorrow.....
    i hope time will ease your pain and that fond memories of Duke and the times you and your family spent together will somehow ease your sadness...

RIP Duke

4. bigcespits

bigcespits Big Dog

Sorry for your lost.

5. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

" lean on me, when your not strong, and i'll be your friend, i'll help you carry on...." sorry to hear about your loss. "the Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away..." it was a very hard time for me the time i lost my brindle Beau. it's like losing a child. the times i think how i would've given my life for his. i understand bud, and so do many other people here. you are never alone, whether it be us or Him. and i totally understand the beer thing bro. my heart goes out to you. keep your head up and look towards the east every day as the sun rises and give thanks for the life experiences you have thus far had. God bless! :)

6. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I'm so so sorry to hear of your loss. I can tell he was a huge part of your heart and soul. I too lost my best friend and most beloved bulldog, Natas, last year-also just a short while after we lost our angel-faced German Shepherd, Athena. It's so hard to lose them so close together. It gets easier of course but my chest still hurts when I think of my girls. I just can't explain Natas-she was just one of those dogs that owned my heart. I still feel her jump up on the bed in the middle of the night sometimes...I'll never know if it's her or just wishful thinking from an overactive brain in a dream state. :)
    Take it easy and think about what a great time he's having up there with the other bulldogs...maybe even ol' Natas. You'll see each other again. God needed another good bulldog.

RIP Duke

Play hard up there ol' boy :)

7. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

i think this is the first time i ever got teary eyed over someone else's dog.

8. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

and by the way, i'm having a drink for you and duke man. least i could do. :)

9. This is another reason I love this site. Only on this site have I ever seen people who truly care not only about their dogs, but everyone else's too. From someone who has lost some real good dogs to accidents, sabotage, and just old age, you have my sympathy and you're in my thoughts. Don't blame yourself, it's not your fault, and no matter how it had happened there would have been something you felt you could have done differently, just like when anyone else in your family passes away. We all have regrets. Find solace in the fact that you gave your dog what some dogs never have- a good home, a loving family, and respect for him and his breed.

10. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

Damn Jr. :( Im very sorry to hear about this. Just don't get drunk and do something stupid. Thats always been my solution when things get rough and it only makes them worse. Keep your head up Bro, This too shall pass. RIP Duke.

11. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Very sorry for the loss,i know it seems untimley but you can't question why the good lord does what he does,and in the end this to had a purpose.you nor anyone else will know till the good lord thinks your ready.only thing i can say is time will heal this wound as well.sure it will leave a scar but in the end all will be just fine.

12. Michele

Michele Guest

I'm sorry for your loss

13. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

I'm deeply sorry about your loss...
    RIP Duke. I am sure you are up in Heaven having a good old time. You did good boy!

14. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

So to be reading this. God Bless you and your children. RIP Duke.

15. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it. Luke, I'm sorry you didn't get to meet him, bud. Thanks for kicking one back for me though. I feel a little better today, but now my kids are asking all of these questions, like, where is Duke at? I don't know how to answer right now because the older two are 3 and 4. They are both too young too understand, but my step-son, the 4 yr old, I think he knows something is wrong.

I still plan on putting that pic of Duke with my daughter on here, I think it shows him at his happiest. The pic is outdated, she was only 1 when the pic was taken, but it really shows him enjoying what he loved the most, my kids. I'll post the pic when I find it. Right now I haven't really wanted to go through that album, it brings back memories.

Again, thanks for the support, it means alot to know I got somewhere to vent.

JR

16. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Well i always felt it best to just tell them the truth,you don't have to go into graphic detail or anything like that.but they can handle the truth as long as you put it into terms they can understand easily.

I remember when our beloved house dog got trampled by a couple horses when i was away on a business trip,i just set them down and said your not going to be seeing twotone anymore because something happened and he went to go with the lord now.but any questions you might have about death you just ask daddy and i will explain the best i can for ya.so they will ask why and such and they will be crying but they will be fine as it passes just like anyone else.it helps them deal with death better to because about 3 years down the road they lost their grandfather wich was my father in law and they were very close to him,and they got the usual he was very tired and had to go sleep for a long long time,but i told them no that he went to go be with the lord and towtone and all the rest of our family who had to go to the lord because that was their home just like it is mine and yours and we will all go back someday,and they understood and took it better than any of his other grandchildren and in some cases his children.

Don't be affraid to tell them the truth trust me they can handle it even though you might not think so.

17. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

Thanks OT, I took your advice, and I think Tristan, my boy, understands. Well, to a degree. Katie, I don't know. She keeps saying she wants Duke. When I try to tell her that Duke went to play with Sadie (my GSD), she says she wants another Duke. Nala has been a great help with keeping the kids' mind off of Duke, though, so I guess that's a plus.

Here's my pic that I wanted to show. Even if we all know how well these dogs are with children, maybe someone who doesn't will stumble on this pic and realize otherwise.

[​IMG]
    P.S. Don't mind the collar, it was a gift, and I eventually took it off of him.

18. Suki

Suki Guest

i found this a LONG time ago, and it still always affects and amazes me at the insight children definitly DO have. figured you might enjoy if if you've not read it already...

A Dog's Purpose (from a 6-year-old)

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation.

He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."....

and this is a GREAT, most endearing pic!
    Even if we all know how well these dogs are with children, maybe someone who doesn't will stumble on this pic and realize otherwise.

[​IMG]
    it does, indeed say much without words...

19. jr Pit Guy

jr Pit Guy Big Dog

Thanks, Suki.

That was a good story, I enjoyed it. You know, it is so surprising that children seem to be a wealth of heart-filled knowledge, but when we get older, it seems to go away. Wonder why?

Katie used to lay on Duke like that all of the time, I had a more recent picture of her sleeping on Duke, but I can't seem to find it. The funny thing about the sleeping pic, was that we were all laying in the living room watching a movie, and the next thing you know, I look over and see the two snoring in harmony.

20. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Oh your welcome,they can understand somewhat they don't really grasp the entire death situation at that age but they get a good idea of it.it will pass though with Katie but just let her do it at her own pace.just like adults kids have their own time before they get back to normal after things like this.but you will see what i am saying as they age they will take death a lot better versus a child who was sheltered when it comes to that subject.