1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

rescue people help?

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by annemarie21, Jun 25, 2006.

1. have a question,, i have been looking to adopt a dog for a while now.. my work (real estate) is finally where i work 9-5 only,so i can adopt a dog now.. i want an adult, since they are more needy..

now,here is my question..

i joined a site that belongs to a rescue group...the owner of the rescue stated in a topic that he returned some adult mother dogs to a shelter that is no kill, because it takes too long to adopt them out, and that he loses his adoption fee which cuts into his expenses...

"they were adopted or are being adopted -- thankfully, i have a couple of no-kill shelters i work with who place pups at a very quick rate, in great homes, and i work with them -- the only thing is, i lose the entire adoption fee, and in my fee is my expenses, so that makes rescue even more expensive --
    -- it's times like that i want a shelter, since they seem to place the pups a lot quicker than i do, to great homes "

now, please someone correct me if i am wrong, but isnt that WRONG of a rescue to do that?? isnt rescue supposed to be about the dogs ?? isnt rescue supposed to keep the dogs in the rescue until they get adopted, and not just adopt out their pups and then give the mother dogs back to the system in another shelter, whether no kill or not?? and this supposed rescue only gives the adult dogs to shelters., not the pups...... is it me, or is this totally against all of what rescue is about?

i am so sick and heartbroken over this, i never in a million years dreamed that there would be a rescue like this. or is it just i dont have alot of experience with rescue groups, and this is normal?? i feel so heartbroken for all the adult dogs this rescue has brought to a shelter, irregardless of where, but to go from a shelter, to a house, to back to a shelter again.... can someone please explain this to me??

i was going to consider adopting a dog from this rescue, but after reading this, no way no how will i ...

2. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

Wow that is just awful and I agree with 33MTA3

3. yes , that quote in the " is per the owner of the rescue.. he stated that the mother pups were given to a shelter to find homes for... they all had puppies, and he adopted out the pups, and brought the mother dogs to a shelter....

also, i tried to respond to that topic, and my post was deleted, and then the whole section where i posted and saw that is missing... so the owner moved the entire thread to where i cant see it, and he is moderating my postings.... i dont know why, all i did was ask why would a rescue do that... some other member joey something asked stuff too, and the members jumped on him and me saying it was normal to do stuff like that and they all approved of it..

4. Patch O' Pits

Patch O' Pits CH Dog

FYI I posted a bunch of links for you on your intro thread to help you find the perfect dog/pup for you... take a peek

5. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Ummm I think I might know what rescue. and yes it is wrong to do that. <sigh>

6. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

Quite sure we know who THIS rescue is.

This person is perhaps the most irresponsible dog owner/ rescue I have ever come across.

Looks real pretty on the surface, but behind the scenes, it's rotten to the core.

7. Attila

Attila Guest

Sounds like them pop stars and hollywood folk pretty on the outside and a mess inside. Rotten as bloated road kill.

8. idgie

idgie Big Dog

I used to be involved in a couple of pet rescue groups, and was usually disappointed when I heard how they went about making their decisions of what dogs to take in, what dogs to adopt out, and what dogs to cull. It wasn't necessarily because they were in it for the money. It was just that they have to make decisions based on dollars and cents or else the group would go broke and they couldn't help any dogs at all. One group I worked with decided that it was just cheaper to focus on small dogs because they were less expensive to feed, house, and vet, and they adopted out more easily, so they were better cash flow for the group. One woman told me they could save four toy-sized dogs for every lab-sized dog they took in, so they didn't waste their time with the big dogs. This also usually meant putting down any dog with even minor physical or behavioral issues - it was just too expensive to mess with. It seems cold and hypocritical to me, but it's a huge mistake to assume that people in rescue are somehow all benevolent and above real-world concerns. That's not to bag on them even, just to be realistic.

9. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

I know for a fact that this person is doing rescue for profit. What rescue places over 70 pitbull puppies in a years time? Then has 4 Toyota Landcruisers, just purchased another Honda Civic, has a Honda Trike, $5,000+ of camera equipment, countless "toys" and is the process of building a $400,000+ home?

He treats people and animals badly. I could show you some pictures that would make you sick. Pictures of animals in his care.

10. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

IMO those groups who *only* take small dogs are in it for the money. I have seen some of these groups on petfinder charge as much as $500 for a small dog. and for the most part small dogs dont need rescued. They usually are only inthe shelters for 1 or 2 days and have people fighting over them to adopt them. Even the mean ones. IMO rescue means to take the dogs who are on thier last day, that are healthy, and finding them homes. Not having the shelter put your name on every small dog that comes in so no one has a chance to adopt it. ( yes they do that at my shelter, you will NEVER get a small dog from there because all the rescues have them put thier names on them as soon as they come in the door so no one else can get them)

11. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Yeah I have alot of pics of animals in his care that *I* took myself so he hasnt had a chance to photoshop them. I also have ones he sent to me that would make you puke.

12. CB

CB CH Dog

This is why the site has went down. To many pet bull people.

13. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

What do petbulls have to do with "rescues" that dump mother dogs in shelters when the pups have been "adopted" and "rescues" that charge $500 for a dog they got free

14. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Hmmmm, I belong to a rescue group. I also know some people in BadRap.org and have taken a pit bull to their obedience class. Something like 15,000-20,000 "pit bulls" get put down in "shelters" in the Bay area of California. Bad Rap can save (foster, train , give vet care to and find homes for) about 40 a year....
    The people that work with Bad-Rap have to go to work and earn a living. Most have their own dogs to care for also. And then, in addition, they foster pit bulls and train them. They also freely donate their time to classes and for legal(anti-bsl) work. And all sorts of other things that you are not considering.
    My rescue group is poorly organized, it was thousands of dollars in debt to vets until this year and it is now barely in the black mostly due to the efforts of one woman who decided to work her fingers to the bone organizing bake sales for us. Most of the members know very little about dogs, especially pit bulls...They are not equipped, physically or mentally to foster them. They cannot temperament test them. They mainly focus on cats...but they have saved hundreds of dogs over the course of the 18 years of their existence and none of them are getting rich on helping animals. They also learned from their mistakes, unfortunate mistakes...for which dogs suffered. At least they are trying to solve the problem of unwanted homeless abused pets. And they don't discriminate against pit bulls although some of the group would love to and have tried to.
    There are crooks everywhere. If you want to adopt from a rescue you should investigate the rescue. If the group is crooked, turn them in to your local district attorney. If they are a tax deductible group and are making personal profit from their work, they should be legally investigated and prosecuted and go to jail...

My group gets shots for every dog and cat it accepts. Do you think we get it for free? We have gone into debt for hundreds of dollars to get operations for animals that were in immediate need and then accepted an $80 fee when we found a good home for the dog.Some of our members are working 7 day weeks saving animals. Sometimes their judgement is poor. We are learning and trying to do right by animals.
    There is a flood tide of unwanted abused animals released on the public by irresponsible owners and for every honest, hard-working rescue person there are 50 BYBs and A-holes who don't know or care about animals pushing them out into the streets of your home town. To say nothing of the inhumane, ignorant animal control officers. And, I would like to point out, not all of them are ignorant, inhumane and lazy.
    So do not blame this problem on animal rescue groups and don't blacken the name of every rescue group because some are crooked...
    The problem is that people are ignorant and irresponsible and want to make a mess and let someone else clean it up...
    Let me tell you what pit bulls have to do with rescue. The streets and shelters are overwhelmed with poor examples of the breed.
    If you want to save your breed...APBT... you better join up and be part of the solution instead of just bitching and whining about things not being right and expecting some one else to fix it all up and make it nice. It is YOU. You are either the solution or the problem. You better start getting your house in order. If something ain't right, then fix it.

I came to this forum because I thought I knew something about "pit bulls" and I knew a little...a lot more than some of the folks in my rescue group. I came here to learn how to train them and how to help others in my group foster them and talk to people about them. And how to screen homes for them.

And you know what? I learned a lot about pit bulls and learn more every day and I would really like to thank the people of this site who were willing to share their time and knowledge with me. I am much better equipped now to do what I started doing last year...rescuing "pit bulls" and fighting bsl.
    Thank you for warning people that there are crooked and unsavory rescue groups.
    I applaud your desire to adopt a rescue dog. Get educated so you can really help one and be a responsible owner. Try and put the crook in jail.
    Sorry for the length of this rant. We all make mistakes, we all need to remember to help each other and not just be finger pointing...so I'm sorry I started out like that. We are not living in a Disney movie...We are living in a horror movie...(oh sorry, joking) Well, there are monsters. It is up to each of us to remove the monsters from decent society if we wish to have a decent society.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  15. maryellen1

maryellen1 Guest

this is truly pathetic.. i cant believe he is doing this.... this is what makes rescues so bad..

and CB- there is nothing wrong with petbull people on here, alot of us clean up the messes that irresponsible people leave us, which includes dumping their dogs which come from a breeder at the shelter... some of those dogs could come from a breeder like yourself, and we are taking the dog out of the shelter so they dont get euthed.. some breeders wont take their dogs back.. why? i dont know.. there is a katrina dog who is gorgeous, a blue and white, with the breeders tattoo, the rescue called the breeder ,and they refuse to take the dog back..... now we have to clean up the mess...

its good for ALL owners , rescuers, and breeders to come here,, how else are we going to learn to work together with this breed???

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2006
  16. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

CB - this has NOTHING to do with "petbull" people. This has to do with a poor excuse for a human being using this breed to line his pockets and finance his personal expenditures.

This "rescue" with it's irresponsible placements is the part of the problem that this breed is facing. He places dogs with little or no regard to whether the people he is adopting it to have breed experience or if they will take the time to educate themselves so they can appreciate this breed and make responsible decisions regarding their dog.

That being said, I do not think that petbull owners are dragging down this site. If anything they are learning from it and will hopefully put what they have learned to use.

One thing that all pitbull owners need to learn is that irregardless of whether you are a "petbull" owner, breeder, working dog owner, hunting dog owner or whatever - the common denominator is that you all own a pitbull, you are all facing or will face BSL in the near future - as a group of dog owners, the divisions need to be set aside so that as a group, we can fight for the right to own this breed of dog.

As long as pitbull owners are divided, we will continue to loose battle after battle to BSL. The only way to win is to put aside our personal feelings and unite as a group. Then and only then will we be a majority large enough to be heard and to make a difference.

Now I'll step my 5' tall self off my soap box and return you to your regular Game-Dog forum browsing.

Vicki and (deleted member) like this.
  17. NCPatchwork

NCPatchwork CH Dog

Hell...I own a rescue "pet bull" and my friend does also....If we don't, who will. And at least I know they are in good hands.

18. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

I think they figure, it's more easier to adopt out pups than adult dogs. But, that is sure no reason to give back a dog, either way. They should be concerned with helping & finding all dogs taken in, a good home. Not right & sad.

19. CB

CB CH Dog

Nothing wrong with pet bull's but there are alot of pet bull forums around and i dont think this should be one of them. Yeah i know this site is to learn and all that BS but the name of the site is www.Game-dog.com i wish it would stick to strictly working dogs and not people that want to brag how pretty there dog looks on there pink furry blanket.

20. Hoyden

Hoyden Top Dog

Yep, this site is about game-dogs, but realize that there are petbull people out there who are very interested in turning their couch weight into a working dog. Or have their next dog be a working dog.

I was more of a pet-bull person when I joined here. Sure I worked my Petey dog, he helped me do landscaping jobs, he pulled a wagon with supplies, but I was a petbull person.

People learn and people change, and after reading and learning here, I did. My Petey is always going to be a petbull. He'll do some work when I need him to, but for the most part, he's just our pet. I'd love to do weight pull with him, but I don't think it will fly with my husband.

Birdie on the other hand, thanks to this site, is more of a working dog. She lives to work and is a miserable animal unless she is with me working. Her work drive is amazing.

Had I not learned to recognize the work drive and put it to use, she would have driven me nuts!! And I learned that here.

Be patient with the petbull folks, some of them will turn into working dog folks eventually. If not, they've at least learned alot about this breed and how to be a responsible pit bull owner.