1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Red Meat EVO, what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by DirtyD, May 16, 2011.

1. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I was thinking about switching from the turkey and chicken EVO to the red meat formula. I was going to try out the food before but I didnt want to switch up anything in Diesel's diet since I was conditioning him. No particular reason for switching other then I like mixing it up a bit that way no allergys get developed and it just lets me know what he does good with and what he doesnt. Well cutting to the chase I was wondering what you all thought about the red meat formula. I know every dog is different but nothing wrong with seeing what others think. Any thoughts of the herring formula is also welcome.

*Side note: My dog will continue to condition, I plan on taking him to a fun show in the fall so I plan on keeping him on the EVO while he is working. (I know how you all feel about high protein food in non working dogs...)

Here is the site for the red meat EVO,
    http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1490

2. I use the chicken formula and have always been happy. Like you I've considered switching to the red meat formula but if it ain't broke don't fix it. As good as the progress as been with his conditioning I wouldn't fuck around with it. JMO

3. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

Good point Boogie, maybe I will hold off till after the show.

4. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

any body have good result with the red meat or herring? I going to wait as stated but would still love any input that anybody has to offer.

5. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

i had great results with the herring formula. dogs had lots of energy to work and their coats looked fantastic. probably the best results i've gotten from any food i've tried

6. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

I have a pup, six months old. I know the whole speel on not conditioning till 18 months but im just researching. I also have a whippet mix who is in decent shape but when the time comes i was lookin at the evo weight management. Has anyone used it or what do they think about it compared to the evo red meat formula. Also i heard fats are better for energy than carbs and protien. Any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

7. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

im new so i dont know how to start a new thread so maybe ill get lucky and get an answer here haha, between evo red meat, herring, and weight management. which would be the best for conditioning? or maybe use one food in the off season and if you wana condition switch to another? anyone have any input?

8. It's rude to hijack others threads. Here's an idea....if you don't know how to start a thread ask somebody.

You click on the sub forum you want it in. Toward the top left of the page click on "Forums" Then pick your sub forum you want your new thread in. Say you want it in "Health and Nutrution" then you click on that. Toward top left again it will say "New Thread" click and fill in the boxes. That simple.

Since you are asking about the same type of food I will leave your posts here. Please don't hijack threads of others simply out of not knowing how to navigate though.

9. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

now that i know how to navigate thanks to the forum god, no more hijacking from me haha

10. Be a smartass and you can be removed dickhead

11. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

im the smartass? im a new member that thought this forum had some nice people. maybe u should check the way u explain to me how to do shit ya kno? my bad didnt mean to start a bunch of shit ... fuk

12. Yas

Yas Big Dog

The ideal thing would be to buy small bags of a few different EVO`s and rotate them but this would cost more.

13. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

yes it would cost more but it would be worth it. No need buying a big bag if he dont do good on it.

14. I actually think that's a really bad idea. It takes a few weeks to truly see how a dog is going to do on a new kibble. Switching that quick isn't going to give you any accurate assessment of any of them IMO.

15. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

thats a very good idea, good thinking haha. go with just kibble, or just the canned? or maybe mix? whatya think?

16. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

thats true, good point boogie

17. Yas

Yas Big Dog

I would definitely agree if we`re talking different brands, but if it`s all EVO then the quality would be the same just different ingredients especially protein sources so IMO would be the closest to rotating protein sources if feeding raw which should only course problems if the dog has a digestive problem. JMO

18. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I was thinking about using the small bad to switch him over then running two or three medium sized bags (one medium size bag lasts a month) then switching again to the next protein source.

19. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

i think if you want to use more than one formula, instead of switching them back and forth, just mix all the bags together at once and feed from that.

20. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

verrrry creative eljay, well done haha