1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Red Cell?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by tolive, Dec 28, 2009.

1. tolive

tolive Pup

Hi everybody my first post. My uncle used to buy red cell a couple of years ago from the local feed store wich is closed now .I heard from a number of people it makes the dog overheat is this true? In is this stuff still even on the market?

2. AGame

AGame CH Dog

Yes it is still on the market we use it with our horses never tried it on my dogs though but i can tell u after a while of using it on the horses they seem to be alot more energetic and easier to get in shape

3. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

the stuff is a good supplement but it should not be used last 10 days of conditioning otherwise the dog will overheat, that is what i found with it.

4. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

when using any supplement be sure to cut it at least a week before the show i dont know if its the same thing but i know a guy who you uses rooster booster poultry cell in keeps with chickens and dogs and it works well for him

5. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

I know it was used long pretty heavy but not sure what opinions are on it now. I know it works great on horses and Im sure in moderation it will help dogs too....

6. tolive

tolive Pup

yeah he had some nice looking dogs.Tons of energy and in very good shape. for what they were (not papered)

7. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

used it long ago as a good iron source. the horses love it but i have had dogs that would eat around it in the pan. and if i thouroughly mixed it in i would have to cover it with a 'tastier' gravy to hide it...getting the dosage right can be tough as it is formulated for horses so it only takes a very small amount for a dog...i like it best after the pull...but everyone has a different perspective...s

8. sunbeam

sunbeam CH Dog

you can buy canine red cell, formulated for dogs.

9. to much can cause liver problems later be careful. and every time i started to use it on my females they came in heat a couple of weeks later so make sure your not using it to take her out

10. Corley

Corley Big Dog

I used to use it some years back. It will make your dog run hot. I never noticed that it brought my females in heat.

11. QUICKFIRE

QUICKFIRE Pup

What if it is a 2 day event? What if you take them off it for one week and then use it when you feed right after the event and get them ready for day 2 will it make them run hot or will it be absorbed and used to repair and get them ready for day 2?

12. widerange

widerange Big Dog

i know nothing about this but i would think if the dog needs to be off it a week or 2 before the show on day 1 then it wouldnt be good to give it to the dog the day before the show on day 2. jmo

13. Bullnuts

Bullnuts Banned

It's a blood builder, heavy in iron, The vitamin k in it can make the dogs run hot if you don't back off it a week or so out!
    I use The horse version two maybe three times a week year round. More economical and concentrated than the canine version, I just give a little squirt from a condiment (ketchup/mustard) squeeze bottle on their food.
    I've never been without it, It was the way I was taught. I have used it for Roosters also, makes their heads all nice and bright red along with a noticeable line down there shanks

14. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

for dogs what is the exact ratio to give? my dog is 33lbs? how many times should i give him? tnx

15. ROCCITY

ROCCITY Big Dog

I won't touch that stuff. Studies have shown it causes cancer in animals. There are plenty of other ways to build the blood up than giving redcell. Be careful and do lots of research before giving your dog any supplements. Most of them are just a waste of money but some can do more harm than good! Good luck

16. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

tnx sir. I'm planning to add it on my feed but I'll do some research. I'm familiar with the stuff cuz lots of cockers in here use that but i never tried it on dogs. nway is that ur dog on ur avatar? if it is urs "I envy u" hehehe. nice dog. love black dogs.

17. pittfallin

pittfallin Top Dog

I give it a little, depending on how im working them....ive done pretty good just givin 2tbsp twice a week with there food....no overheating problems unless I give them more

18. joelkckit

joelkckit Big Dog

okay some use it, and some don't, so whats the alternatives that u can give to ur dogs, the same effect as red cell but more safe to use? tnx ;)

19. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

I've noticed more gain with apple cidar vinegar than i have with the red cell. i just use red cell now 2-3 times a week. the canine formula. I give the canine formula cause its formulated for dogs. If i used red cell too often throughout the week, if it barely got warm out my dogs would get hot, quick.

20. If you use it be wary of the selenium content on a weekly ration basis. I use it very sparingly and only to reduce the amount of IM injections with other supplements.
    If you don't know what I'm talking about it's best not to use it and opt for a safer alternative such as a vitamin complement rich in iron and B12.
    Some natural alternatives that can be used are spinach, beets and mustard greens.