1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Raw Feeder (Set Up)

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Bobby Rooster, Feb 4, 2010.

1. cheese

cheese Top Dog

Shit theres one in my city....thanks Naustroms

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I keep hearing about adding a multi vitamin, I have 2 questions on this:

1. If your feeding raw and feeding them right, why would you need the multi vitamin?

2. What kind of multi vitamin do you use? Can you use adult or children centrum or something you by at a pet store?

I'm asking because I am switching my dogs diet to raw (or well tring to anyways) and today is their first day on completely raw. for the last week or 2 I have been adding raw foods to their TOTW and slowly decreasing the kibble and increasing the raw and today was the first day on completly raw and if I really need to be giving the vitamin it would be best to know what kind, although it still don't make sense to me because I would think they are getting everything or at least most of what they need from the meat itself seeing as they are carnivores?????

3. XXLbully

XXLbully Big Dog

I spend nothing for the meat as I get it for free from my butcher. it really costs me a bottle of whiskey every 2 months :D

4. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

The Multi vitamins I''m using are mostly for the minerals they can't get on there own on a chain spot, as per say roaming free, eating Clay, and what not. same as a cattle mineral block is supplied to cattle, they may not need it but there getting it given to them anyway, and the body will expel what isn't needed threw Urine&Feces , but I DO NOT give it every day! (Giving 1 Half an Adult, Multivitamin)1-2 times a week, whether they got a Raw Diet of Kibble fed to them.

If I feel drained, cause what "I" am eating isn't giving me what i need to function properly. It is because I'm not getting what i need, and as a result you'll get a headache or feel shitty.

I feel it couldn't hurt if used in a reasonable amount for there size.
    (Giving Half an Adult, Multivitamin)each time,
    The kind Labeled "For Active People"

5. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I give an adult women's multi vitamin. Same reason as Buck, to cover any vitamins&minerals that can't be gotten through meat or even vegetables. What isn't used is pissed out. I make sure to get the water intake pretty high to help out his kidneys.

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Thanks guys, I want to feed my hounds right and don't want them to be lacking anything, I did have one other question, I have feed tripe from the can already processed for dogs but it's like $2.49 x 3 dogs a can and can get expensive with multiple dogs so if I were to go to the grocery store and just but fresh tripe, can I just give it to them or do I have to do anything to it first?:confused:

7. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I've heard the tripe at the grocery store isn't nearly as nutritional because its been bleached and cleaned for humans and lots a lot of its nutritional value. It still has some but nowhere near the green tripe.

You could try oriental markets.

8. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

I'm 411 -ing all slaughter plants in my area to try and add to the rabbit diet, cause it takes time to build stock (of feeders)! STPFAN suggested to me!;) cause when i got thinking / reading up on the posts , Necks and livers,Hearts some times , Tripe can be gotten fresh if you build a relationship and understanding with your butcher, your feeding a ton of hounds,

You might get it In Trade OR Free! (Some butchers might want you to take all there scraps in stead of picking threw for choice parts)

Buit where i live i can dump the rest of the waste, to bait coyotes in!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2010
  9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

missed post my bad

10. I spend about $1/day to feed a 35lb dog,feeding a lot of kangaroo meat and bones,fresh sardines,free range eggs and some pre-made barf patties.
    About 2 years ago money was pretty tight,at the time I alternated days of lambs necks and some liver with days of chicken frames stuffed with lamb or beef heart,this worked out to cost about 50c/day.

11. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

;);)That's a creative idea if i have ever heard one!!!!:letseat: Frames of chicken for bone & cartilage and heart for muscle and add some organ meat and intestines and your set! That is awesome!

12. popper

popper CH Dog

where did you get the chicken frames from?

13. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

grocery stores when they de-bone the breast and thighs, i imagine anyway not sure? butchers tend to be more beef scraps and Game meat depending on the season.

14. They're available everywhere over here in Australia,every petfood place,deli,butcher and supermarket sell them.
    If you go to a butcher that doesn't sell them just ask,it probably means that they throw them out after removing the meat from them,you'll most likely get them for free.I pay about $1 for 4 chicken frames that weigh about 400-500gr each.Stuff a lambs heart and some liver in the cavity and you're good to go.My dog loves digging the heart and livers out.

15. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

round where i live, you can get a full grown 500lb or so pig, for about 400-500 dollars From an omish family. Thats a lot of food that will last you a WHILE

16. lunadogge

lunadogge Pup

Tripe in the store is already cleaned but also cooked. You will not find green tripe in the grocery store it needs to be picked up from a processing facility or specialty dealer. Some dealers are greentripe.com, Hare-today.com, and omaspride.com