1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Raw diet question

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by dadecounty, Feb 1, 2010.

1. dadecounty

dadecounty Big Dog

I started feeding raw A couple days ago.Started with chicken hearts,guizzards,beef chunks ground beef everything went well.Today I fed chicken quarters.Dog 1 worked it slow but ate it all.Dog 2 didnt even touch it.Dog 3 snapped it in half & ate it in two pieces(mind you it was a large quarter)my concern is how it will affect his digestion.Im a little worried does anyones dog do this also?Should I be worried?

2. popper

popper CH Dog

yea my dog has snapped it in half and ate big chunks .... so now i hand feed the quarteer chickens till she gets it down .... i dont wanna take any chances...the times she did swallow large peices i didnt have any problems

3. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

You shouldnt be worried. Its completely normal for the dogs to eat the chicken that way. I have only had one dog choke, but his circumstances are uncommon. Just watch them eat the chicken quarter, and make sure they dont choke, other than that there is nothing else to worry about. JMO

4. madboy

madboy Big Dog

When l started feeding chicken wings and drum sticks to my 3month pup he would always swallow them and most would be coughed right out again.So l would snap into 3 pieces or hand feed him,but he isn't slowing down after 2 months.l even got him raised bowls,but still hasn't slowed him down much. l guess he will grow out of this fast eating swallowing habit as he gets older.

5. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I started to feed raw about a month now, and the same situation of the sudden disappearing of the chicken!:p at first she took her time with just one chicken leg, then I started giving her chicken wings and by then she somewhat would chew much faster. After about 3-4 days she started showing signs of a completely starving dog who needs to swallow the entire pieces. She now just chews maybe 3 4 crunches and down it goes. I also was concerned about this so I had asked someone from here who has been feeding raw for a good amount of time and told me it will easily digest and not to worry unless of course she is obviously choking. So there you are and good job for the transition to raw:)

6. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

wat about the bones?....will that hurt the dog?

7. madboy

madboy Big Dog

Apart from choking,the bone is majore problem,they can easily rip or pin intestines,stomachs if they are sharp and right size like chicken bones.They tend to splinter that's why you should always supervise when feeding RMB's wether young or old.JMHO

8. viegas703

viegas703 Top Dog

i understand this is going to sound stupid, but is it purely raw food you guys feed or do you ever cook food for your dogs?

9. DrGonnzoe

DrGonnzoe Pup

Thats only what manufacturers of commercial dog foods want you to think, Im not saying it doesnt happen but it usually only happens when the bone is cooked because its dry and brittle and more likely to splinter. When its uncooked then the bones tend to be more flexible and are easily chewed down so that way they digest properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  10. madboy

madboy Big Dog

We all know that cooked bones are more dangerous especially raw feeders,but to say to someone who has no experience on feeding bones altogether,to not to supervise.......... is god dam stupid,"don't you say":rolleyes:

11. pit101

pit101 Big Dog

I always feed my digs a raw diet, The most important part of this diet is the bones. When bones are cooked, thats when they tend to splinter. When fed raw the bones remain softer to when they are cooked, so they have a very slim chance to splinter and damage your dog.

I fed my 2 8 week old pups drumsticks last night. One of them did the savage and swallowed a large part at the end of the leg. A few hours later he threw this back up and tried to eat it again. Always feed your dogs apart because if fed together with chicken, they will try to eat too fast and that is what happened last night.

In my opinion a raw diet is the best diet as none of the nutrients and the good stuff is cooked out of the meat. Dogs will not get salmenela (if that i how it' spelt) or E coli, so it is safe.

12. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

I don't see anywhere that he says DON'T SUPERVISE THE DOG. He is right that uncooked bones will not splinter.

13. madboy

madboy Big Dog

Just double checking m8!to see your reflexes:D.......and thanks.:p

14. wardogkennels

wardogkennels Top Dog

:fighting0050:

15. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

My Jane, wouldn't eat raw(chicken half's or quarters) at all at first, but then i froze it! Then she gobbled it up! might work for you. or feed in ground next to another dog eating for the first bit, but as long as they are both contained so they can't fight. but she might eat it right away cause of the other pooch never know?

But if its ground for the "side by side"
    crate eating then they don't swallow pieces they should of chewed cause there eating to fast. ( space the crate 12'' apart, feed and supervise)

thats what seemed to work here anyway.:rolleyes:

16. DrGonnzoe

DrGonnzoe Pup

I agree sorry I forgot to take "They tend to splinter that's why you should always supervise when feeding RMB's wether young or old.JMHO" out of my post. :o

17. I feed deer scraps, 1 rib cage will last a couple days and they realy have to work to get all the meat so they dont EAT more than they should in a days time.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  18. websterz28

websterz28 Big Dog

i chop the quarters in to chunks with a cleaver so my bitch doesnt swollow huge bits of meat..

19. crushbones

crushbones CH Dog

thats wat i was thinking of doing!!...lol

20. jeeperino

jeeperino CH Dog

freeze the chx pieces so they have to really chew it up. It will make them chew it like a treat instead of gobbling it up. Uncooked bones are fine.

Beef liver,soup marrow bones (fat and a good bone for cheap), green tripe, enzymes, veggies, and or vitamins to supplement missing vitamins and minerals are a must for a complete diet........DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE U FEED COMPLETLY RAW!!!!!