1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

R.I.P. Maxine(Daisy Mae)

Discussion in 'R.I.P.' started by Mott's APBT's, Jan 11, 2007.

1. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

I'm not sure what constitutes me as a "yahoo", but I'm most certain you have no idea who I am.

I rarely post on any of the Pit Bull Forums, and I am normally one who does not rant on and on. I suppose I just snapped a bit last night.

Atilla~
    I am not a farmer, therefor I have no reason to have livestock...Furthermore, goats, chickens and such were not domesticated by man to be pets. Granted some dogs are working dogs, I understand that, but to compare dogs to goats is a bit of a stretch.

I guess I just don't understand the point of continuing to breed game dogs. Okay, hog hunting, I will admit that I know nothing about it, so I won't speak of that in an ill manner. But what is the point of keeping them "original" when what's they were bred for is now illegal?

It just seems that in this day and age, chaining numerous dogs outside (where accidents can happen) doesn't seem worth the risk. If an accident happens and one of you dogs kills someone else's dog and or livestock we have yet another headline to deal with.

Also, I can't see how having 10 or so dogs chained outside could ever get the human interaction they crave. My dogs LOVE to be around people, I think they would suffer enourmously if left outside all the time.

To the comment about dogs having fur, and they should live outside. Things change, times change, attitudes change. We have created what these dogs are, and we have a responsibility to keep them safe, and loved, and well socialized. Seems to risky to leave them outside, too many stories of dogs missing from a yard....or worse.

Maybe I just don't get it, and I'm truly not trying to talk down to anyone, this subject just makes my blood boil.

Sorry if I've offended anyone, I just see on a daily basis what can happen to these poor dogs, whether an accident or in the wrong hands.

2. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

U know what u obviously don't get it, i don't have a yard full of dogs, i only have one dog at the present time and guess what he's outside on his chain for most of the day until i get home and he sleeps outside for the entire night. A DOG IS A DOG, stop trying to treat ur dogs as humans, they don't have human emotions, feelings or anything like that. This breed of dog is one of the most sought after breeds because of the pure nature these dogs have in their blood, they were bred for a specific reason, but that doesn't mean that they can't accomplish other things too with their great abilities. U need to take a step back and look at ur dogs for what they really are and realize that as much as u might want them to be indoors with u and how much u love to spoil them like human's, its only doing harm to ur dogs. A dog that is outdoors is a happier dog because he can experience new things everyday while outside, but a dog that is indoors all the damn time and only goes out to take a wizz will be only as happy as u let him be because of the confinement. Let me ask u something, do u work, if so that means u get to leave the house for long periods of time each day, now since u think dogs are humans don't u think ur being cruel to ur dogs for not allowing them the same curtesy. LOL ok rant over. peace

Hoyden likes this.
  3. Attila

Attila Guest

Well you see people do make pets of Goats, horses, sheep, cows and yes even chickens. Yes they are also domesticated. Once raised on a farm they can't make it in the wild any longer. Sheep being one of the oldest in the domesticated group along with dogs. Hard to say which was domesticated first. They can be trained to do many things and will sit there and let you pet them the same. I suppose you would have to be raised on a farm to know such though. Even a common pig can be house trained and are probably one of the more intelligent of domesticated animals next to dogs. However I don't want them in my house. I do have some dogs that are house trained and stay inside with me when I am not out side with them and the others. The ones in the house are not always in my lap or even near me at all times. Dogs do need time alone. And for the most part of the day they are content either way. Sure they love attention. So does a Sheep, or goat. Even a cow will lick you and like your company. Does not mean you bring them in the house. The times have not changed people have. Animals remain the same. These dogs had other jobs in the past than fighting. They were and have remained a fine catch dog to help bring home the bacon. Litterally. Baby is trained to herd sheep. Better than any cattle dog ever dreamed of being or sheep dog for that matter. If you have the need the APBT can fill that need and perform it better than any other dog if trained properly. Usually all it takes is to expect it done they are eager to please. Yard accedents don't happen because of chains. They happen because something failed with the set up of containment. And one thing to note accedents can and will happen in the house even before your eyes. Probably will be worse of a mess then. You could be doing laundry and it may happen. They don't bark or make much noice once into a fight. You will not likely hear anything over the washer and dryer. I have read of accedents happening right in the house just as often if not more so than not. People make the mistake of thinking their little baby wont fight biffy and next thing they know both biffy and little baby are done deal and past the point of repair. Being in the house doesn't stop that or prevent it from happening. And even a beagle will fight. No matter how much people change a dog remains a dog. An out side dog isn't any less loved or comfortable than the inside dog. And often the outside dog is in better condition both physically and in its ammune system. Any thing from ardvark to zebra if kept indoors is more apt to become sick when exposed to other elements or animals than the one out side in the real elements. I see more sick folks that work in office buildings and spend most of their time indoors than the outdoorsman. Plus having animals in the house all the time exposes you to a far greater amount of allergins and the same for the animal. Out side those are rained into the soil. Inside in the dry they just float around. And dusting, and the air filter doesn't get them all. Being indoors all the time isn't good for you or your pets. It just makes you pale, sickly and cityfied. Go out side and take your dogs with you. You know it is time to come in when the sheep, cows, horses and so forth are comming into the barn. You know a storm is comming. They know well before you do on that stuff. Really animals tend to be smarter than humans in some respects. Ok a bunch of respects.

4. Chef-Kergin

Chef-Kergin Guest

Any amount of dogs left alone, unattended is not a safe environment for them, imo.

My folks have multiple JRTs (5). I got my 5 yr old male from them. They are all working dogs, they'll go down holes for hours on end; I've had to help dig one out before. They are prey driven animals.

They are chained outside, weather permitting (Like right now, when it's -4 at night WITHOUT ind here in OH :) ), or inside behind closed doors when left alone. But they are angels and my folks trust them with all of their grand children, ages 1 to 5 doing anything, whether it's tug of war or sleeping with them during nap time.

But they work as a pack, and if there's 3 or more of them alone, one of them is going to piss the other two off, and then my dad's down a hunting companion. They work great when they're all out at once, working as a pack, but when left alone, you just can't chance it.

I don't think it's safe to leave any number of dogs alone or free to roam with each other when unattended. It might be different with pets, but dogs who are working dogs just have a higher drive in general, and you can't risk it.

My old man hates the whole Parson Russell Terrier bit, because they aren't working JRTs....they're high-wired jumpy, tempermental little assholes that were workig dogs that are now kept in apartments and in crates as pets. Maybe it's something like with the American Bully (but not such an extreme difference) where some people wanted to take a working breed they liked and breed it for a pet. Some folks want to keep the dogs what they were.

My $0.02.

To each his own, but you kinda hijacked the thread and went about it in the wrong way. If you felt so strongly about it, start your own thread and see what others thoughts on the subject are. No offense.

Hoyden likes this.
  5. Michele

Michele Guest

Ok, I know a "doglady" who keeps her pits outside and inside. She has quite a few pits outside and alll of them get love and attention.

To your comment about times changing with regard to keeping a dog inside. Some dogs love being outside and don't want to be inside. Take huskies, for example....they love it outside (the colder, the better). You can still keep a dog safe and loved, inside or outside. For me, and this is JUST for me, i would rather my dog stay inside, but that's what I want.

6. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

Who's jumping to conclusions now? I do not treat my dogs as humans, they are not my "fur-kids". I understand that they are dogs. You cannot deny the fact that they crave human attention.... that's one of the wonderful things about these dogs, right? IT'S MY PERSONAL OPINION that chaining a dog is not caring for them properly because they are most likely not getting the human attention they deserve. I think that if I choose to have a pet, it should live indoors. We can agree to disagree, that's fine with me.

In the same token, you said dogs do not have human emotions, you say a dog is happier outside. Wouldn't happiness be a human emotion?

My dogs live indoors, they are excercized on a daily basis. They are fed good quality food, they are vetted, microchipped, and obedience trained. I have the luxury of being able to take dogs with me to work, so no, they usually are not crated for long periods of time.

Again, NOWHERE did I say my dogs are human, and to say that I am harming my dogs by having them live indoors is ridiculous. They have plenty to do when inside, and if they want to take a look at the outside world when I'm not home, they can look out the window.

To me, it's too risky to leave a Pit Bull outside.....for many reasons.

7. 440rider

440rider Guest

you are 10x more likely to have an accident with loose dogs in the house or yard that have full contact with each other than dogs kept securely apart. In order for a chained dog to have an accident and kill anothers dog/livestock and make headlines there needs to be faulty hardware ...breaking chains, snapping swivels, slipped collars etc.etc...(owners need to know what works best and how to keep a set-up secure and double up on possibly weak areas). On the other hand someone with loose dogs only needs to open a door and have them run out (kids come in and out of homes all day)or have them jump or dig out of a fenced yard (we have a 40lb dog that can jump a six foot fence)or just be left alone home together is an accident waiting to happen. How many headlines do you read about a dog that mauled someone dragging a chain around or having hardware still attached to it's collar from where something went faulty? You read about house dogs that got away from the owner or ones that are left to roam. Keeping them secure is responsible!

8. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

You're right, I should have started my own thread. My apologies to the original poster, that was very rude of me.

Hoyden likes this.
  9. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Hey im jumping to conclusions because thats exactly what u did, u seem to have no experience with chaining a dog outside but u are so quick to say how cruel it is, how do u know its cruel if u've never done it. I'm glad that u can take ur dogs to work with u, but unfortunately many of us can't do that so the dogs need to be properly contained while we are away. Now to me and many others a chain setup is the best way to secure these dogs, i understand that a crate indoors works too but now ur confining ur dog to a 3' by 3' box for 8-10 hours a day, now who's the cruel one (not referring to u) I've heard of some dogs actually tearing through crates to get to each other, so that right there tells me that a crate is not the safest form of containment for these dogs. dogs that are on a chain get to breath fresh air every day, have a pretty large radius of chain space so they can run around and get some energy burned off, and at the same time have proper housing for a dog, so i don't see how chaining a dog is cruel in any way, shape or form. Oh and about the dogs not getting any human attention, well lets say u leave one of ur dogs home one day, well now tell me how much human attention does that dog get while ur away. Just because a dog is on a chain does not mean we don't love that dog just as much as u love ur inside dog, we give our dogs personal attention on a daily basis, and yes even people with large yards give each dog some time together with their master so don't say that we're cruel owners because u don't have a clue about what ur trying to preach

10. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

My dogs are never left alone together. NEVER. I understand the capabiliteis of my dogs, and I try my best to not set them up for failure.

We did have one GIANT fight in my house about a year ago. I was a bit naive about what could happen. It was a foster who went after my female. It lasted for quite a while, and I was totally helpless. It was an awakening moment for me, and I will never think of these dogs in the same way again. But, because of this experience I think it has made me a better dog owner.
    As far as my dogs somehow getting away from me, it hasn't happened in the 4 years I've been dealing with these dogs.

I dunno, maybe it's ME feeling sorry for a dog on a chain. Maybe he's perfectly content, but I just don't like to see it. ???

Who knows...

You know, I foster Pit Bulls. We have 7 right now. We do introductions SUPER slow, and sometimes it's a no go. Most times though, the dogs get along. I just can't imagine being inside my house cleaning, or watching TV or whatever and looking out my window and seeing my dog on a chain. I mean, my dogs follow me around the house, as soon as I get up, they get up....I haven't peed in privacy in years, haha.

Okay now I'm just babbling...sorry about that.

11. 440rider

440rider Guest

Our dogs are vetted we have very close friends that are vets in which they see our dogs when needed, we feed canidae or waltham feed (when needed), all of our animals are chipped and had one of our dogs obedience trained for kicks (until it broke out of the kennel and ran free for 16 hrs).
    We bring dogs inside one at a time in rotation and they go for rides (one at a time of course). They get plenty of excercise outside on a 50ft cable with 8ft chains set-ups that's 800sqft. Opposed to an inside dog sitting in a 12x10 room all day (120sqft). Our animals are well taked care of and well secured outside and just becuase they are outside doesnt mean they are unloved! We can look at it as your dogs are being locked inside..think about that one..let them lay in the sunlight and breath fresh air and see nature...they are animals and dont need to be locked indoors!

12. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

I wasn't trying to preach, I was trying to understand. You are right, I was jumping to conclusions, that is why is used the word "now" after my statement.

Anyway, yes the dogs that stay home while I work are left alone (not together). I will not tether them outside when noone is home because to me it's just too risky. I don't want someone to hurt or steal my dogs.
    But when I'm home they are all with me, that's my point. I'm assuming you have to work as well.

As far as the livestock thing, thanks for shining some light on it all. I grew up in the suburbs and really have no knowledge of that type of stuff. Thanks for the info and setting me straight.

I really actually feel slightly better about the chains. I'm still against it (hehe sorry), but I kind of understand. Hey, atleast it's progress.

13. Michele

Michele Guest

a member her I think, showed a picture of their outdoor heated house for their dogs......it was pretty cool. I think it was in one of the "snowing" threads. I'm sure those dogs are very very happy.

Hoyden likes this.
  14. 440rider

440rider Guest

Fostering bulldogs i commend you for that! With 7 where do you house them when you are away from home and what happens to the dog that are a no go with the others?

15. Michele

Michele Guest

do you put them in separate rooms while you are at work?

16. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

Im glad i could help a little, and u know what they say don't knock it till u try it, maybe one day u might try a chain setup for a dog and u might like it so don't leave that out as an option, some dogs just do better on chains than they do inside. Oh and because i only have one dog once i get home he comes off the chain and goes in and out of the house with me until its time for bed, i can get away with this because i only have one dog but once i get a couple more that will have to end because i can't have dogs running loose together because thats just an accident waiting to happen, whether it be in 2 years or 10 it will happen one day and i want to avoid that like the plague

17. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

Well, most times 1 or 2 dogs go with me wherever I'm going.

2 are pups, they are crated seperately (pretty large crates) with enough room for a bed, toys, food water, and a pee-pee pads.

Bella, resident female has free roam of the living room, dining room and kitchen, she can be trusted, even if there's a steak on the counter! :)

Tucker, the male adult foster cannot be trusted yet in the house not to have accidents so he is usually crated.

Bastian, resident male has free roam of the family room.

Tucker is the only one that's a no-go at this point and only with my male. He can be out with all the other dogs with no problem (under supervision of course)

If I'm not taking 1 or 2 with me, one, can be in the front room office.

There is also the option of our bedroom. All the doors have locks and crates inside. So if you have to travel from one area to another you can crate a dog temporarily. If all the dogs didn't get along it would be absolute hell, but with just one jerk, it's manageable.

I'm sorry that I pissed some of you off, that was not my intention. Guess I'm just passionate about these dogs.

18. Michele

Michele Guest

Bella and Bastian are ok together?

19. lovebeingme

lovebeingme Big Dog

You know, I just remember a time I left Bella tethered outside to a tree....it was a beautiful day and I thought she's enjoy it.
    Don't you know the whole time she was out there I just stared at her out the window....
    I was so nervous something would happen I just couldn't take my eyes off her, lol.

I do have a question though to 440rider~

You said:
    "Our dogs are vetted we have very close friends that are vets in which they see our dogs when needed"

Why do you need to take your dogs to friends that are vets? What's wrong with regular vets?

20. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Regular vets charge out the wazoo & they don't know the meaning of a yard accident.