1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Question about old matches

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by lovemybull, Feb 23, 2010.

1. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

I know this must sound ingnorant, but please don't be too harsh :o I really am trying to learn as much as possible. You know all these pics that the HSUS and everyone puts out of the dogs with the ripped off faces and whatnot (I know they are more than likely from a fight put together by people who think they are dogmen and not following any rules and prob don't give a sh** about the dogs), but did the dogs come out of matches back in day (ones that were put together by respected dogmen) looking like that most of the time or was there usually not that much damage done on average? I was just wondering thats all. I have been trying to get as clear of an understanding as to how it was back in the day as possible and until I am able to pick up some good reads, I am left with the internet and I trust the info coming from here more than a lot of other sources. Thanks

2. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

There was always damage to the animal and it was to be expected, Dogs would fang themselves on occasion or there would be broken bones and tears in the skin. The difference is a dogman knew when to call the match and the thing that made the most difference was the care the animal received during the match and the after care the animal received.

3. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought. I've been trying to find out as much as possible..thanks again.

4. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Well said.Look what Wallace said about Curly I tested him hard and nearly killed him.I never matched him because he was my baby and I was afraid I might send him to far.Which would kill me. Men like this is what made the Bulldog.A real dogman knew when to call the match.

5. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Well a true dogman lived for the dogs, If you didn't do right by the dogs you were nothing.

Folks now a days have gotten away from that and have gotten lazy, I can't tell you how many times I have heard "It was never about the dogs, It was only about winning" Statements like that rile me and they just couldn't be further from the truth.

6. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

Most of the pics put out by the HSUS were caused by THEM mishandling other people's dogs enabling gruesome "accidents" that none of them know how to seperate. They just grab and pull till something gives. They have a lot of "accidents" in their "shelters" and kennels that provide plenty of photo ops also.

7. c-murda

c-murda Big Dog

Sorry for posting off topic. I just had to rant when I see the initials HSUS. In answer to the OP. I second what Old Timer said.

8. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

Somehow I find this hard to believe, The dog must have sustained no damage at all during the event? While I have seen dogs leave a match and not be limping or things of that nature you would be hard pressed to find a dog that didn't have puncture wounds and things of that nature.

And just to clarify we are talking about before the animal welfare act here?

9. Bahamian

Bahamian Pup

Unless you meant that he won in 19 seconds, I HIGHLY doubt this occured!

Shoot, I have had yard accidents that last lest than a minute but with some significant damage.

I had two females that got into it for less than 30 seconds and one of the female's lower jaw was shattered.

So again, I HIGHLY doubt that you had a dog kill a dog in 19 one nite and then enter and win a UKC show the next day.

Maybe you left out the other part that he won in 19 against a 10 lb Poodle or something........now this I can believe!

10. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

If you can find the article by barney fife "after the match" i believe its called, awesome read.

11. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

I am assuming this happened before the animal welfare act, But like another poster already stated it is very hard to believe the dog sustained no damage at all. If the event lasted for 19 minutes I would be willing to bet the farm the dog sustained some form of damage, And if the event lasted for 19 seconds then you must have went into one of two things either the most stupid person to ever grace a pit or the worst dog to ever grace a pit.

And I am having a very hard time believing that the very next day you showed the dog at a UKC event and he won.

I am a old man and sometimes don't grasp things as fast as other folks so please feel free to clarify things for me if you feel so inclined....:)

12. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

Im sorry but even if was the most ignorant piece of shit person and the opposing dog that died "in 19" was pushing 20 pounds and straight garbage it couldnt have gone down like that..Unless the dog was cold as ice and didnt defend himself he wouldve had some sort of collateral damage...i mean think if the dog finished that fast then he must be a destroyer with some crunch and what happens when a dog feels that kinda bite? he chews the shit outta the head right? so at the very least the "Show Champion" wouldve been chewed up in the head..no fresh dog is just gonna accept his fate without trying to survive,without trying to win.

13. popper

popper CH Dog

i could def see it happening... sure he must of been a bit tired

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2010
  14. Mavity

Mavity Pup

I am as far from an expert in any of this, but was 60 seconds late to getting to my mixed boy brutus getting into it with my old roommates 30# mutt and both had blood spilled, Brutus is 75# and has some chew marks from his past life.

I smell bs. :blink:

15. popper

popper CH Dog

16. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Thanks for the help...I'll be sure to check out that link. And I'll try to look for that article. If there are any other good reads on the subject that you guys know of off the top of you're head I would appreciate it, thanks.

17. lovemybull

lovemybull Big Dog

Ok, so I'm reading the Barney Fifer article and they talk about a 10 second scratch count. Does that mean that the dog has 10 second to grab ahold of the other?

18. Robber

Robber Big Dog

Yes.

As far as the next day thing, if the dog was in match condition, he probably wouldn't have won at a UKC show b/c the judges there tend to favor dogs with a little weight on them...:cool:

19. Bobby Rooster

Bobby Rooster CH Dog

Not saying that it did happen, BUT I believe it could have happened, if it was a hard bitting head dog that got the first grab and stayed out of trouble then saw an opening, then its possible. Also, there's a pic of MachoBuck after his 4th I believe he was virtually unmarked and his went for almost 30 I think... Just saying...

20. Searcy Jeff

Searcy Jeff Top Dog

I find this very hard to believe...