1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

pups in wintertime

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 6sN7s, Nov 13, 2011.

1. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

Recently got me 2 new pups and i keep them together in a shed in the backyard. I don't think the temperature differs much from outside but at least it keeps the wind and rain out. Got them a well isolated doghouse with a good bunch of straw inside.
    Right now it gets close to freezing at night, and at day time it's around 8 degrees, but it will be a bit colder in the winter. Average -6 at night and close to freezing at day.

The pups are now almost 10 weeks old. God them in it for 2 weeks now and they are doing fine but spend most of the day in the doghouse. Of course i try to keep some good fat on them. Could hang 1 or 2 heating lamps if necessary?

Its the first time i put a pup outside just before winter time so i wonder what people think about it. Maybe some who will put them out with -10 are gonna laugh maybe some think its not good. Let me know. Please try not to judge if you don't have any experience keeping dogs outside.

2. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

Actually their kennel outside is ready.... closed on 3 sides with a roof.

Who would put them in there already

3. outrightmike

outrightmike CH Dog

I keep them in for 4-6 months for better bond,but id diff would have waited till they were 4 months atlest before putting them in the cold.I hate having them in winter!

4. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

if your shed is not insulated it is just as cold inside as outside,i'd definely go with the heat lamps and keep them as fat as u can.

5. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

When the worst temperatures kicks in theyll be around 4 months

You are right kera, but in the wind its always feels allot colder.

I'll go for 2 lamps then

6. fajahmaria

fajahmaria Banned

bas gewoon laten veel stro komt helemaal goed.. elke dag ff chekke.. je kan er ook nog een kruik bij leggen:)

7. kera5

kera5 Big Dog

not to be rude if you got something to say,please type it in english!

8. fajahmaria

fajahmaria Banned

im sorry..

:)

9. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

I do what your doing Just THe exact the same thing just try to keep them warm that's all you have to do

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Be carefull with the wattage of bulb. I remember i tried ti incubate a hamster with wet tail n accidently cooked hid ass lol

11. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Make sure they can't get to the cord of the lamp also.

12. NGK

NGK Top Dog

We raised several litters of gamedogs in the Yukon (just below Alaska) in the early 80's and kept the pups outdoors 99% of the time during winter but did so in a DRY environment. I wont go on about our setup as it isn't comparable to what you have but I will tell you this, you must provide the pups with DRY heat. You have to create an environment that is not only dry but must have moving air (ventilation) or you risk creating a frost filled environment. To do so you must create an area with a double insulated house, ie, an insulated house within an insulated house with moving warm dry air in the outer shell. Once you have created this environment you must keep it clean and dry, trust me it is more trouble than it is worth.

NGK

13. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

14. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

They'll be ok. Just keep an eye on them. Good Luck.

15. redwar

redwar Big Dog

Try one of these newer ceramic blower heaters, looks like a fan but has an inner heat element and a fan to blow the air around, sort of like a heat lamp with a fan. Nice looking pups.

16. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

with that setup they'll be fine. very nice space for the pups.

17. northdogger

northdogger Big Dog

Yep that setup looks good.. A very nice puppy place

18. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

wow -6!! thats cold!! its hard enough havin pups down south in the winter time. those are some serious elements

19. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Try -40, lol.

NGK

20. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

too cold for my blood man