1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy Shots

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mac 11, Jul 5, 2012.

1. CBRSALT

CBRSALT Big Dog

Vet I took mine to wont give it if their less than 6mo.

2. Hachiman

Hachiman Big Dog

Actually it doesn't matter when the bitch was vaccinated. The immunities imparted by the bitch's colostrum wear off at around 5-7 wks of age. This is just a fact of nature.

3. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yep here too.. It used to be they had to be done by the time the dog hit 1 then they changed it to six months now they can get them done at 12 weeks. Eljaybee is correct I am in georgia it's the same way. The only thing that sucks here is in my county they don't do the 3 year rabies vaccines not yet only the 1 year.

4. venom

venom Top Dog

Not really. There is no exact number for when your dogs Passive immunity wears off. This is the reason you give a series of shots. If it wore off 5-7 weeks, why are you giving your pup a vaccination after 9 and 12 weeks? It's because you do not know if the immunity countered your vaccs. The only way to know is to get all your pups tested every week and then give them the shot when it wears off. If these are the facts then everybody in this thread is over vaccinating X'5. And you better get the bitch tested then too cuz there is no other way to tell how long her vacc is active either which is why you stick her before her heat. If this was true, no pup under 5 weeks would get parvo and you would only need to hit them with a shot at 7 weeks.

5. venom

venom Top Dog

Pups have been found to have enough passive immunity to fight parvo at a late age of 22 weeks. That's over 5 months old. Meaning you haven't given that dog a shot since 12 weeks and it is now susceptible to parvo. Question: you think that pups prolonged immunity came from a bitch who needs a vacc herself? Or a dog that was freshly vaccinated before coming into heat?

6. Hachiman

Hachiman Big Dog

Following that line of reasoning, then vaccinating a bitch after she has conceived would give the pups even more immunity, but I have been told by vets NEVER to vaccinate a pregnant bitch.

All I can tell you is that the only time I have had parvo on my yard since using the schedule I lined out was when the local humane society brought it in when they came to inspect my yard. The pups were just a little over 8 wks old and had had 1 shot. They were about due for their 2nd shot, but they all died within 3 days. If their immunity could have held them through for as much as 5 months, why is it that they ALL got it and not just some of them?

I'll stick with the shot schedule.that has worked for me for years, over suggestions of changing things up.

You have to remember I have been doing this more than half my life, so I DO know a thing or 2.

7. Jim R

Jim R Banned

most people are usually unaware or don't bother to think of these kinds of variables that happen day in and day out with more than just puppies/dogs.

there could be a reason most vets will tell you not to vaccinate a bitch during a term. no cash for puppy vaccines. protect the profits.(i am by no means saying to vaccinate a bitch in her term or not vaccinate puppies)

a bitch will pass on all the immunity her pups require as per her environment. that's just how nature works. if you expose that puppy with no shots to a different environment or bring something outside in, you start risking it's immunity.