1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Puppy question?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Currdog, Dec 13, 2012.

1. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Yeah I have some annoying ass dogs that love to bark lol.. Covering them almost always does the trick. I have never had a blanket fail me yet! lol Glad it's working for you. Wait until they learn to start pulling the blanket off the crate and into the crate with them LMAO. Usually by the time they figure out they are smarter than the blanket they are at least used to being crated so they are just being assholes wanting to see what's going on LOL.

2. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Catahoulas r good cattle dogs...I have seen them work a herd pleanty. I also like the heelers. Lil red ones hang on and really turn them heifers and steers around!

I was thinking of baydogs site. I'll check them sites out when I get a chance. Love new reading no matter what.
    There is one county close to me that has hogs. Them are some nasty sob's and yes - the pits to good, as long as they aint too hot. Might go for the bay dogs.. its a cool sport though - I'd like to go see them chicks from the south catch.
    I'd be watching something besides the work though...he he.

3. Currdog

Currdog Pup

Theys several good good breeds of bay dogs now I'm running these cats cuz they r out of a friends old blood line an just what I have. I've hunted with all different breeds an crosses. They all hunt a lit different style but catch dogs r bout the same. Some do ok some some wana just bite an some just jam up. I've got some hogs here in a pen we work dogs on to see what we r dealing with. Usually a pretty fun time haha not as good as in the woods but in my opinion a must I hate folks that think u shud just send in on a hog in the woods to get schooled up without having a clue an takin a chance to get burnt an ruined. Wish u were closer where we cud hook up an try urs out to see what he's got! Always love it when u give a pit the opportunity to do what hes breed for an seeing him realize hey this is my deal an stepping up an do his thing!!! It's an awesome feeling. I haven't done any weight pull r anything else but this is what we do ain't nuthin better than watching a pit hit a hog lock on an hold it! Just the type of thing they were bred for!

4. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Sound like a seasoned hunter to me. Nothing wrong with a working pen to check em out. Thats how I'd start off too.
    For sure - I'd try any of mine out in the working pen, and see if they were interested. Than maybe if they had it, I'd put them on on the ones out in the wild. Where you located? Obviously someplace with some hogs . .the south somewhere?
    I got a couple that would probably do pretty good. If I ever get any free time, I'd love to try em out.

5. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

nicely bred dog

6. Currdog

Currdog Pup

Mccoy I live south of little rock Arkansas an yea we got a few pigs around here. Won't be too much longer an deer season will b out and it will be time to go turn out and catch a few! If you ever get down this way we can sure try em out!

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Some bulldogs will catch even if they are hot..it just depends on the dog and the person who has worked him.When you live in a big area thier is way too much ground to cover without sight hounds..I know some places u wont need sighthounds.

8. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Now some you cant train to work with sighthounds..I got a friend was working with a little rednose bitch.He called me asked of i wanted to go hunting so off we went..To make a long story short she caught in a creek and we was knee deep in water ,she decides she wants to turn loose of the hog and fight the hounds..Well it aint easy to get out of a hogs way in knee deep water...So yea it depends on the dog ,,man some u cant do nothin with..

9. Currdog

Currdog Pup

Yea I generally try to steer clear of them hot ones. U just end up spending more time breaking em up and always have to worry bout a fight. We ride ours on the wheelers w the baydogs an just dnt need one like that. That being said they always a dog that will cross a bulldog some time r another an they dnt forget usually but all in all easier to hunt a pit that ain't dog crazy and lot more enjoyable!! I've had a couple that wud hit a pig no prblm when u turned them loose if they cud see it r hear the bay but if u just have them on the ground an nuther dog came by an just give em a look it's was on an too much to deal w when they's some good bred bulldogs out there that all they care bout is a pig. Just my 2 pennies

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

we will not release to we have the pig in sight..then move in quick after the catch,kill the pig ,bulldog goes back on leash ,then break him off.

11. Currdog

Currdog Pup

Thats bout the same as we do but still dnt like huntin w a cd that we gotta worry bout fighting I kno it will happen sometimes tho. I really dnt care for one that let's go when caught for any reason. I kno they get slung off, tear loose, things happen but one that let's go for sumin else will get u hurt and ur other dogs especially on a bad pig that knos how to work a dog.

12. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I have had good bulldogs that would rip chunks of flesh out of hogs..These are the type i dont use ,thier too dangerous because it gives a hog a chance to escape and its also dangerous for the dog ..because he is not trying to catch the hog but fight and kill it..They were great bulldogs though loved people but couldnt stand any other animal..But that type of dog doesnt mean he is any more bulldog than one that will catch and hold...And it also dont mean his offspring wont be good catch and hold dogs.But you never know what will pop up sometimes out of a litter.

13. e92htx

e92htx Banned

You shouldn't be keeping a dog of any age in a kennel for longer than 2 hours. They can develope anxiety disorders that can lead to other problems in the future. Puppies also hate seperation, have the kennel close to you and I find that warming up a towel or blanket in the dryer for a few minutes and giving it to them help. I also throw in some stuffed animals.

14. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Your kidding - right?

15. e92htx

e92htx Banned

Which part do you believe that I am kidding about?

16. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

Well I know for a fact that you are full of it. One, a chain or a kennel is only way to train a puppy and keep it from chewing up things in a house.. or shitting or pissing on the carpet. Two, if you put things in there for the dog to chew(stuffed animals) that when you return in less then 2 hours, the animal will be shreded. Keeping a dog inside is something that every dog does not get the pleasure of.
    I could see the blanket, but a dryer - that will make a difference - not. Maybe a blanket with the smell of its master.
    would work better.

Please tell us more dog wisperer!

17. crunK

crunK Pup

http://agoutloud.com/animal-cruelty/kennelingcrating-your-dog-how-long-is-too-long/

I'm not Cesar Millan or anything but I do have experience with raising a few dogs myself.

The longest I would crate a dog would be 4-5 hours if there was no choice. All my dogs were high energy dogs and even after 2-3 hours in a kennel they were driven mad. Being on a chain is different, it's outside and usually the chain length would be 10-12ft in length for them to walk around. I find the warm blanket to work because the puppies like the warmth and it helps them relax.

If you can keep these dogs in a kennel for more than 4-5 hours please tell me how you did it. It seems like you're the dog whisperer.

Maybe your dogs are use to just laying around all day? Who knows...

I am E92HTX, didn't realize this account still existed.

18. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

3 of mine stay in a Kennel besides when they are walked or worked. A kennel = 6'x9' chain link type.
    Are you meaning crate? I think stuffed animals are a bad idea. Taking a dog to the vet to have them or their filling removed when they block their digection is something I have heard is a costy procedure.

No dog wisperer here, just a fella that knows what a dog does if given the chance. Yes the ones in the kennels lay around all day. I work and do not have time to play with them all day. Mine dont play nice together either. Do yours?

I am not trying to start an arguement, but it seemed like your post may give bad information, which most here know better.

So how many stuffed animals you go through a week. Mine like bones, which are a bit more long lasting!

2 different log ins. Nice. May want to pick one so people do not get confused. May even be against the rules and get one of them banned. Could be wrong though.

19. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

well a kennel and a crate is different...which one we talking about?..a kennel doesnt have to be small it can be a larger one.

20. crunK

crunK Pup

I meant crates, in my posts.

My dogs play nice together ;)