1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

protein in orijen and totw

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 6sN7s, Apr 19, 2011.

1. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

I personally don't believe in the tales about to much protein can be bad for a dog, as protein can not be over supplied.

Brings me to another thing. As protein is the main energy source in these kibbles and an overload of them will be exported from the body. Can you manage to get enugh extra weight on the dog when its needed with this kibbles. Anyone who has experience with this?

Im feeding orijen regional red to my dogs now. But i wonder if this will be a problem in the winter or after conditioning.

Bonus question: What does everyone think is the most important energy supply for a dog in training, fat, carbohydrate or protein. And why.

Hope this can be an interesting discussion and sorry for my english.

2. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

fat and protein are the most important for our canine friends. while for us carbs supply most of our energy, canines have the ability to utilize protein and fat for their energy needs and are not dependent on carbs. i used to have some links to this info, but i've lost it. i'll look and see if i can find them and post them here. basically, dogs don't need carbs. not like we do.

and yes, you can still get your dog to gain weight with the high-protein diets. i have. just feed more in the winter. i've gotten mine pretty fat with nothing but just upping the feed. and if you have a troublesome dog who wont eat enough to gain enough weight, then just add lard fat to their food and viola!

and btw, Orijen is one of the best, if not THE best kibbles out there....

3. bauer

bauer Top Dog

Dont they say that to much protein is bad for the kidneys, i feed my dogs 22% protein is that to low, i read that a dogs body produces 20% protein on its own...

4. 6sN7s

6sN7s Top Dog

Nah imo thats just a story, like i said protein cannot be oversuplied.
    Also there is no scientific proof that it's bad for the kidneys.
    I dont think good kibble brands like orijen or towt would never get away with it then.

Anyway, i find it strange that w'r accualy all feeding our dogs differently

When you feed raw, your main supply will be fat, and most of the time carbohydrate free
    When you feed kibbles like orijen, your main supply will be protein.
    And when you feed regular kibbles theres an overload of carbohyrdates.

Does no 1 asks himself why?

5. JohanM

JohanM Pup

My dog gets 3-4grams/kg bodyweight per day and thats not on conditioning.