1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Please help me with rescue~

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by iamerikah, Feb 5, 2006.

1. iamerikah

iamerikah Pup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rescued this girl earlier today. She was across the street trying to get into the convienient store, and the clerck said that she'd been there for a few hours. She was ready to call the police, and i just agreed to take her. I knew she looked like a pit, and i hear that pits are the first to go down at the pound. I couldn't have that.
    I'm assuming that she'd been stray for at least a few days because of how dirty she was, and how badly she smelled. She was really hungry, and a little scared of us.
    She came home with me, we warmed her up, and fed her. She took a nice warm bath with no fight, and is now following me everywhere I go.
    She seems to be in good health, and very energetic. I'm not going to take her to the vet anytime soon, because we're going to try to find the owner. She had no collar, and I couldn't find a chip, by feeling in the common locations.
    If we can't find her home, I'm thinking on keeping her.
    I know that pictures don't give a lot of info, but I'd appreciate any guesses or knowledge on her breed. Does she look pure breed even?
    I have very little knowledge of Pit Bulls, and I would also appreciate any advice.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Erica

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2006
  2. thedude04

thedude04 Top Dog

i think she has great ears, from what i can tell she looks like a pit but i mean every dog looks like a pit lol but seriolsy she looks like a pit o me but its hard to tell

3. El Mexicano

El Mexicano CH Dog

I couldn't find a chip, by feeling in the common locations.

u cant find a chip by just feeling around.

4. iamerikah

iamerikah Pup

I understand that I won't always find a chip by feeling around, but sometimes it can be felt...I've had 4 rescues that I have found a chip in by feeling around.
    This isn't my first rescue...it's only the first possible pitt.;)

I'm not spending the money on taking her to the vet, unless we don't find the owner...other than that, I'd have to take her to the pound to locate a possible chip. If I do that, I have to register her which means paying insurance, which means more money..If I keep her, I'll put the money into her, but until then it's all guessing.

thedude04... Is there something with the ears that makes them "great"?
    Thanks for the replies!

5. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

She sure is beautiful, and its hard to believe someone would just dump her. However, with the overpopulation crisis we are having, it isnt unheard of do dump perfectly good dogs. She really is pretty young judging by pictures alone...(4-6 months maybe). She does have cute ears, normally the ears that make a nice fold like that turn out really nice looking when mature. Is she spayed? She looks to be in good health and not abused or neglected...the right thing to do would be to post signs. I would not even mention the breed found or any mention of what she looks like. Just say you found a young female pup and if any owners had lost one to give her a call and describe it. If you put "Lost brindle female Pitbull puppy" you will for sure get all sorts of calls from people just wanting a free dog ;) . Best of luck with her, and you will soon come to realize APBT's arent like any other breed of dog-at all. Once you've had a pitbulls love, no other breed compares! Just read all you can for now in case she is your forever, and never stop asking questions ;) Have a good one.

6. missybee16

missybee16 CH Dog

What a cuttie. Looks like an APBT, to me. It's always good to try & find the owner first, but if you don't, do give this pup a good home. They make good dogs with lots of care. Good luck to ya & your new friend.

7. iamerikah

iamerikah Pup

Nah, she's not spayed, but she is partially housebroken, and she lays, sits, and stops barking (most of the time) on command. I'm actually already hoping nobody claims her. She has such a wonderful personality.
    Thanks for the tip on not mentioning the breed. I've only dealt with one lost pure breed dog. An Italian Greyhound, who's owners were located by word of mouth in just 2 days.

Another question..Right now, the dog is getting along very well with my cat. Can I expect this to continue? My neighbor said the pit will kill my cat! UGH!

8. Chopper4me

Chopper4me Big Dog

Not all pits will kill cats but I have had it happen first hand. I adopted a female (which is now back with her rightful owner) She killed my neibors cat. She has killed 2 more since then. But my male does'nt mind cats. Alot of people say to beware of small dogs.(I have had no dog aggresion with my male he gets along with all dogs so far) If she's doing well with the cat to start then you should be fine. I would'nt worry but I also would'nt leave them unattended together. Always keep her on a leach when outside, and you will be fine.

9. Chopper4me

Chopper4me Big Dog

Oh and do some searching on this site you will learn alot! ENJOY! and I hope you are able to keep the dog, you will be suprised how much different a pit is from any other!

10. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Depends on the dog. Some dogs will do o'k supervised and some wont. And even more of the ones who do o'k supervised would kill it when you leave.

11. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

don't take her to the pound for them to see if there is a chip there, go to a vet clinic and explain the situation and see if they will scan her, I think will we see more pit drop offs like this,,now its true that they stand a better chance of survival being dropped off somewhere as opposed to taking them to the pound,,and this is what the public will see now

12. iamerikah

iamerikah Pup

I thank you all for your replies!

This forum is helping me bunches:)

I think that i'll put the cat in the basement when I leave, which isn't a whole lot.
    I work from home, and the errands I do run, I could take the dog with me. She does really well with people coming over to visit and all. She's loving the attention of everyone lovin on her. lol

I'm gonna call a vet Monday and explain everything. A friend of mine gave me the number to a vet that is in the fight to save Pits. I guess he's known to do all kinds of charity for rescuers. How nice!
    If I decide to keep her, I'm told that he'll spay her for only $55.00.

When I take her outside, she doesn't go anywhere...just stays right close to me. I hadn't realized that the gate in the back yard was open, but suprisingly she stayed right in the yard.
    I don't know about this, but I'm thinking that if she was from around here, wouldn't she try to run off to go home? I had a dog that had gotten adopted out, and by that same evening the pooch was back sitting on my front porch. LOL...we ended up keeping her until cancer took her...(RIP Minnie)

The more I am getting to know this beautiful girl... the more I hope she doesn't get claimed :cool:

Thank you all for the wonderful information all over this site! You're all so helpful.

13. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

wonderful! 55 is an awesome price,,the best of luck to you she sounds like a wonderful new addition to your life.

14. HI, She is beautiful. Most pet clinics and humane societies will scan her
    for a microchip for free.
    I have had pits for most of my life and none have ever killed any of my cats. I currently have a pit and a pit mix with 5 cats and all are fine.
    Good luck,
    Melinda

15. OOOpppss, I forgot to say the only dog that has ever killed
    one of my cats was my neighbors Cocker Spaniel.

16. Judy

Judy CH Dog

She is a beauty - that's great that you rescued her!

17. iamerikah

iamerikah Pup

We still have no owner, and there isn't a chip. My daughter has been walking her everywhere to see if someone might recognize her.
    We did give her the name of Bella, and she already responds to it...SMART GIRL!

Now a few more situations I'd appreciate help with....

She has EXTREME ENERGY! She wants to play ALL THE TIME!, when it starts to get too rough, it's hard to get her to stop and calm down...any advice?

She makes a point to keep my house a mess.. I'll clean up after her, and before I know it, she's drug dirty clothes to the living room, pillows from my daughter's room to the living room.....shreds up paper in the living room....LOL this morning she had my daughters cosmotology maniquin head, in the living room, lickin it's face like a lollipop.
    I don't believe in hitting, so I'd like some advice on this please. You all are so good at that;)

Also.. if anyone knows where I can find out the laws on pits that are laymen......please post!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2006
  18. catcher T

catcher T CH Dog

she is a baby,,all that she is doing is quit reasonable,,she sounds smart,,knows how to keep herself busy,,at the risk of sounding rude,,where are u when she is in your daughters room and tearing up the house? If you can not watch her all the time,,which none of us can..we have to use the bathroom sometime,,put her in a crate,,this will not hurt her or change her,,this will keep her safe and your sanity,,when you can watch her,,then you let her out and teach her the laws of the land,,

19. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Yup, puppy behavior. Pups do this to keep themselves entertained so your job as its owner is to get the pup so darn that when you do let her go in the house, she just sleeps like a baby. LOL The best thing to do for any puppy or dog in a new situation (especially if they are destructive) is to crate her. If she is like the normal APBT puppy and has more energy than you can burn off....you need to get toys to direct her attention to instead of your things. APBT's are working dogs and thus, 95 % of them have boundless energy, to ensure you have a healthy, happy dog....keep her stimulated through excersise and training. Its not uncommon for me to walk 10-12-15 miles a day when the weather is nice and I've got time on my hands to work the dogs. In the summer, swimming works wonders to tire them out. Play fetch with her, tug-of-war (you always need to "win"), and although she is a little young to walk too much, you can walk probably a mile or so comfortable each day. If she looks to be fine doing that, increase the distance and watch the pads for signs of wear.

20. scooter

scooter Big Dog

Great looking little dog! Looks pit at that! Love her and supervise her. I know people that if raised with smaller animals inside that they do great. My pit senses that I love these other housemates and he is soooo gentle. Just god forbid if he sees a large dog outside!!