1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pit bulls bite with a force of almost 2,000 pounds per square inch

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MPD, Dec 25, 2005.

1. MPD

MPD Big Dog

"-- that's twice the force of a German shepherd or a Doberman pinscher. Because of the deep musculature of the dog's jaws, pit bulls frequently "hold and shake" instead of biting and releasing, which is why they sometimes are called "sharks on four legs." Pit bulls are genetically insensitive to pain, which makes them difficult to defend against. Some experts even believe that the presence of hormones in children of puberty age can set off pit bulls. FOPBs dispute all of this with the tenacity of the animals they admire."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/30/AR2005093001401.html

Well, the media never ceases to piss me the hell off. I have never heard something like this in my life. Do these idiots know that no domesticated canine bred by any man can bite over 500 per square inch? and the chances of a dog being able to out bite a shark is very rare? Its so rare you have a better chance drowing in a cup of water. :confused: We all know wolfs are wild animals.

Wolfs max bite force ranges 550-800 per sq in. And some have been known to reach pass that in tests.

Wolf skull
    http://www.pointshop.com/id-843/ImgUpload/P_29124_963963.jpg

Hyenas max bite force is 700-1100!!! Hyena are known for their bone breaking jaws alone!! A apbt can out bite a hyena?

hyena skull
    http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/spotted_hyena_skull.jpg

But wait, they said 2000 per sq in when a shark's bite force is maxed out at 1500!!!!
    http://www.stewartruccio.com/images/illus-animals/shark.jpg

A pitbull cant bite no harder than a rottweiler or a sheperd. Depending on the dog its self, it depends how hard they can bite. Which in most cases, most dogs barly get pass 300 per sq in.

Dog skull
    http://www.skullsunlimited.com/graphics/bush-dog-skull-lg.jpg

See? Now whats missing? The wolf skull proves that the wild animal can not only slash, it can crush and crunch. The hyena skulls proves the animals can snap its jaws shut and really show what "locking" is all about. The hyena's jaws evolved to crush and chew bones because they eat everything, and even chew on horns! Sharks are known to bite arms and legs clear off people in a single or 2 chomps. Now you tell me, how in the world is a mere DOG able to do so with the top biters?

Wolf crushed skull of dog
    http://www.natureswolves.com/pets/images/dog.jpg

Hyena killing (beware of content)
    http://www.bio.davidson.edu/people/vecase/Behavior/Spring2004/roles/3kitty4.jpg
    Look how the hyena ripped it in half with little trouble

Shark bite
    http://www.rescuediver.org/gallery2/images/Shark-bite07_jpg.jpg

^^^^Do they really think a mere 300 sq in bite can do such things?

I'm not sure why these people think a apbt can out bite any of these animals.

2. Brothermarree

Brothermarree Top Dog

They're dumb.

3. ha. 2000 psi per square inch?? woah.. i wouldnt want that clamping on my arm...pmsl...i hope noone believes that bs... just another attempt by the media to sensationalize and demonize our dogs...the bastards/..

4. B

B CH Dog

Time and again the experts have proven you can NOT measure an animals bite. There are too many variables and a dog has to WANT to bite to put out the heavy stuff. These are all wives tales and urban myths.

B

5. houstonapbt

houstonapbt Top Dog

Anyone seen that show on Animal Planet or Discovery Channel or somethin...? About bite forces? The Rott's was like ~350psi, the GSD's ~320psi and the "pit bull" that they had on there scored about ~300psi on the little machine they had. My memory is bad, but it was something like that...

6. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Houstonapbt, I saw that show. Matter of fact, I have it saved on the DVR. The pit bull had the lowest bit force of the three dogs (on their machine). The dogs they used were trained in schutzhund to do the bite work. I don't think they could have gotten a more intended bite than they did. The great white shark came in at around 650 (about the same as a lion). A very young hyena came in at 1000, an alligator snapping turtle at 1500 and a very HUGE croc at around 2500. Was a very good show, and I would really love to know how accurate the "bite-meter" actually was.

7. B

B CH Dog

They aren't at all.... that's the problem with all these numbers they throw around. If anyone here knows gamedogs then you know that out of 100 dogs they ALL bite at different strengths. You can't just stick a gauge on a dog and claim that all of them bite this or that. These tests are BS and have been proven BS time and again.

B

8. The Watcher

The Watcher Till The Wheels Fall Off.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to B again.
    :D

9. B

B CH Dog

LOL.... the story of my life ;)

Regards,

B

10. Kay

Kay Big Dog

I have tried telling people this many times, but If it's in an article or on tv it's Gospel LOL

11. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

I don't think you can accurately measure bite either. How do you know if the animal was really biting or just playing around?

12. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

I never said it was the God Almighty Truth. I simply stated what the supposed bite force of that particular pit came out to be.

I believe this would be true for any breed of dog, wouldn't it.

No offense to you B. I have read a lot of what you post and it's all very knowledgable good information. But Watcher, what do you mean by this? Am I possibly jumping the gun when I take offense? How good of a rep do I need before I post something on the same thread as B. As far as 'giving it to B', I was just posting in regards to Houston's question. If you weren't directing this to me, than I appologize for jumping the gun.

13. B

B CH Dog

You're thinking a little too hard ;) I agree that it holds true to any breed of dog but since we're on the gamedog forum I merely changed my posts based on my experiences to reflect that. The post started about the biting power of a pitbull. A pitbull will only bite as hard as it wants to and I can tell you that it isn't going to be when they are biting some meter for some hookey crackpot test. Generally I would imaging that a dog would bite its hardest if it was in the fight for its own life. There is no measurable test that will accurately portray the biting capabilities of all dogs. The Watcher just agreed with what I posted so he was going to give me some reputation points. Since he's given me points a few times lately for other posts the system says that he has to give some other people repuation points before he is able to give me some more. His post had no malicious intent. He was merely stating that he was going to give me reputation points but the system won't allow it.

Kind Regards,

B

14. B

B CH Dog

If you want to see your reputation:

Click "your name" next to the post
    Click "view public profile" from the drop down menu
    Scroll to the bottom and view "latest reputation received"

Reputation system works so people can give you reputation if you post a good post or a bad post. The little green blocks next to your post count reflect your forum reputation. This is a nice little system to help weed out people that simply post for the hell of it. Post count does not reflect much but the reputation system holds a little more value.

You can give reputation by click the little "scale" on the bottom left of a post. Once you click the scale you check a box for positive or negative reputation points. You leave a message and their reputation is reflected accordingly. When you get more reputation you can give more to people. Admins can give a lot of reputation at one time.

Regards,

B

15. LONGHORNS

LONGHORNS Big Dog

not possible

16. Kay

Kay Big Dog

I believe the only time you are going to get the full force of the bite of a pit bull is in hog hunting.
    Or if you got a time machine and went back to when dog fighting was a legal and common sport that is when a pit bull will use all of it's God-given power.
    A lot harder than biting even a spring pole.
    THAT is why I made that comment in the way I did, a pit bull, unless it is schutzhund trained is not going to bite it's hardest when there's no prey drive. JMO

I wasn't trying to tease you, even though I laughed but I do know the facts on that and most people won't listen and if they already know it, then it just shows their experience :D

17. MPD

MPD Big Dog

I do recall my dogs chewing clear through cow ribs, horse knee caps, and even chewing up hides with little trouble. Its not because their jaws are made of steel, they bit hard because they wanted to! I heard about some pit dogs with freak mouths, able to do alot of damage soon as the jaw clamps shut. (Hard mouth) I calls it. Well, those dogs are hard to come by at times and hard to breed. Its always harder to bite your very hardest when something is biting you back!

Even so, there is a limit canines cant bite over and I noticed that. These people are nuts to eve think a dog can bite do hard.

18. Diesel

Diesel Top Dog

Those "tests" are flawed greatly.
    they have a little rubber tube with an air gauge on the end and it measures the displacement of air when the dog or whatever bites down on it. the first major problem with that is where in the animals mouth the tibe gets bitten on.
    there is a lot less force in the front then in the back.. the same holds true for us. If your trying to bite something hard where do you put it in your mouth? do you use your front teeth or do you roll it over to those nice fat molars?
    I watched that show and the first thing I thought to myself was that the bites looked shallow. But based on the physical characteristics of the breeds involved The GSD had the advantage... the longer muzzle then the APBT lets it get a deeper bite on the sleeve. But even beyond the physical limitations comes heart. I have seen dogs that have teeth that are worn flat get out there and work harder then a adult in his prime, there is always the factor of heart and there is no machine to measure that.

19. Keyo77

Keyo77 Pup

Thats crazy man my trash compactor isnt that strong at my job 2000.

20. Kay

Kay Big Dog

I have to disagree with you here. I have seen them bite their very hardest WHEN they are being bitten back. There have been such hard mouthed dogs (WITH HEART) that were known as leg breakers,historically speaking

But I DO agree that those people are crazy LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2005