1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pit bull shot and killed by Pearl police

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Game Time, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Game Time

Game Time Big Dog

PEARL, MS (WLBT) -
    An emotional debate in pearl Thursday among pet lovers. A Pearl police officer shoots and kills a family's pet pit bull after a gate is accidentally left ajar. Pet owners on both sides of this story are up in arms.
    The dogs got loose Monday. While they were out, other animals were harmed by the pit bulls. The young owners say their dogs are not vicious, that they have owned their pets since they were 6 weeks old. But the pit bulls killed two cats while on the loose.
    Outraged neighbors called police. They arrived before animal control got on the scene and killed the male dog. According to Misty Glenn, they used a shotgun not a pistol.
    "According to the gentleman that cremated him, it had no head left," her husband, John Glenn said. "I feel horrible he killed the cat and everything. He's never been vicious toward any human being or nothing like that. Pearl police stand by the officers actions, saying the male dog named 'John McCain' went into attack mode when he was cornered.
    Lt. Butch Townsend said, "That was cat #2 with his intestines out. Like I said these could be children just as easily as if they were cats. We responded to these dogs before and assisted them in putting theses dogs up."
    Now Misty says, "All we are trying to ask is that for one, it be recognized it could have been handled differently." The distraught pet owners spent $2,000 dollars on a special pen to make sure their animals were in compliance with the vicious dog ordinance and their homeowners insurance. The fence is surrounded by a hot wire.
    While the dog owners acknowledge responsibility and maintain is was a tragic accident, their beloved female pit bull Chloe may never get to come back home. Chloe has been banished from the city of Pearl by animal control. "I just want to keep my little girl. She's like a baby like he was."
    The Glenns hope officials will reconsider the decision. In the meantime, the young couple faces three charges each of violating the vicious pet ordinance and paid a fine of $700.00.