1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Pimple like bumps...

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Envy's Mom, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Lately I've noticed pimple like bumps under Pistol's chin. They are under her chin and even like on the sides of her mouth around her lips. If I pull her skin tight it looks like there is a bump under each of the hairs around her mouth. I am wondering what this could be and if its normal.

I remember Raven's chin bleeding and a few bumps from her playing and stuff. Now she just has scarring under her chin. Pistols marks kinda look like Ravens did when she was younger. I dont know if its hormonal, natural, or something is wrong.

2. my male champ has that same sort of thing. The vet told us that we should not use plastic bowls because they harbor bacteria that irritates the skin, so we are doing away with the plastic and going to see what happens.

3. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

My parent's Great Dane has them. They use metal/steel bowls and not plastic. They, I think from what the vet said, are actually like pimples. My mom puts some sort of medicine on them when they're irritated and are flaming up. They do bleed on occasion, especially when they're playing hard. None of my 4 apbt's have any though. I bet there are more people on here that could help better than me:)

Good luck,
    Andrew

4. fitzpit

fitzpit Big Dog

is your dog blue?

I hear many have skin problems - like small red bumps.

5. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

No she is not blue.

I use metal bowls and clean them regularly. Should I switch to a different type of bowl?

Andrew can you ask your mom what meds she uses?

Anyone else have this problem?

6. fitzpit

fitzpit Big Dog

No- stay with the metal bowls.

They are the best as long as you keep them clean.The plastic ones get scratched up easy and bacteria breed in the scratches and such...hard to keep clean.
    Anyways i had a dog with similiar symptoms,as long as its not genetically related (thats why i asked about the blue dog) you can try these....

-oatmeal bath to help "calm" the skin
    -vitimin supplements. some are made just for the skin and coat.
    -fish oil,great for skin and coat.
    - use a sort of bactine or antibiotic cream on the ones that are bleeding or look open so they dont get worse.
    - try pure aloe or a calimine lotion.
    -make sure its not a flea allergie

good luck

7. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

1 person likes this.
  8. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

My girl had that too, ended up that she had a staff infxn and also I had to change her food because what she was on was irritating her skin/ears. She's better now though with antibiotics and a different food.

9. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

This is bumming me out. Pistol has had food allergies since I got her and we have managed pretty well. At first she was on Solid Gold (lamb) but, Her gas was so bad we could not take her in the car. Then I put her on the Barking at the Moon, she did well while we were doing light work, but I have been to busy to really work her right now so she was gaining alot of weight (saggy boobies). I switched her to DVP (duck and potato). She did fine through the first bag and now we are working on the second. I guess it could be the darn food, but these pimple things are way different than the way she reacted to the other food I found out she is allergic too. (Sorry TW) I know she is allergic to Chicken b/c we did a food trial and this food does not have any chicken.

The only other thing that has changed is that I brough home the new puppy, but I have not noticed and bumps or wierd stuff on her.
    What could this stuff be? It also does not look like Staff. That is what Envy had. These bump have never bled, she never scratched, and its not even that noticible unless I pull the skin tight.

Looks like another trip to the vet.

10. RightHandImp

RightHandImp Big Dog

Dolce's never bled either, just a matter of redness (lol other than her already pinkish skin since she's a rednose) on her skin and the bumps, never thought anything of it other than food allergies. But, I wish I could help ya out better. Maybe try a fish diet? Wellness makes a whitefish and potato diet.

11. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

It could be from a few things, I am gonna agree with them being just pimples.
    My dogs have had them before but mostly came from wet dog food.
    I have long since stopped giving any wet food. We just recently switched over to TimberWolf dog food, super results right away on my female who is prone to yeast infections.

We went with the Elk formula the first bag and are now on the Bissen. We are gonna try the Ocean blue next, thats suppose to be even better for thier skin.
    Its worth a try especially if your dog has food allergies.

12. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

have a pic?seems like a common trait..just like the bump on the cheek with the two to three black wiskers...dog drool and water..if its what im thinking its pretty common and normal..see on lower lip corner of mouth.[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2007
  13. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

Thanks for the pic. Pretty dog it looks like Fanny. It is a little worse than that. This is what I thought it was at first b/c the rest of my dogs have had something similar to that at one point or another. It looks like that with a few bigger bumps that look like boils. I do think it is a reaction from her food. yesterday on our walk I could see her hair is thinning on her back b/t her shoulder blades. That is what I noticed first on the Timberwolf. The problem with that is my dumb ass ordered the samples along with a bag and I fed those samples first as treats untill we ran out of her last food. So ultimately I do not know which formula/s she is allergic to.

She did well on the Solid Golf Hundenflocken but her gas was soooo bad she could not go anywhere with us and having her inside was awful b/c the terrible smell lingered forever. (The rest of my dogs have gas too, but this was BAD!)

I am fustrated b/c I consider nutrition one of the the most important things fo my dog and it seems I cant get it right. Please help. The vets arent much help with this kind of stuff.

14. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

I am at a loss today. I want to swith her food even though she is already on an allergy formula. It seems she is allergic to somemthing in there too. I was wondering, if she is allergic to chicken could she also be allergic to duck? Is it a bird thing. I'm confused.

I am considering going back to Solid gold since she did pretty good on the one formula. Do you think I should go with the Beef and Barley or they have a green bag for less active dogs I was thinking maybe that since we have been pretty lazy and she has gained quite a bit of fat. (boobies)

Do you think I should try one of these or something else. (not TW)

15. lockjaw

lockjaw CH Dog

you know what..my opinion is if you are doing good on a formula why switch in the first place,,weight gain..feed less exercise more..i do the same thing..i will look at dog food and think ummm that sounds good...advise..find what she likes and works with her allergies and stick to it...the rest is easy..exercise..the gas diferent story..it has to do with the grains and fermentation.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2007
  16. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

One of my dogs came to work with me today and I noticed the same thing. He has canine acne. I also use stainless steel bowls. I got some topical treatment and some antibiotics. I have to keep his chin dry and clean.

I see it alot at work from dogs to cats. Yes plastic bowls can contribute like may have said. Genetics can also play a part.

Here are some links

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acne-in-dogs/page1.aspx

http://ezinearticles.com/?Canine-Acne---What-is-It-and-How-Do-We-Treat-It?&id=260049

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/deacne.html

How long has she been on your current food? It takes about 90 days to show any signs that a diet is working. Also all that switching back and forth is not going to help. The whole idea of an exclusion diet to to indroduce the dog to something they have never ate before.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2007
  17. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

lol, neosporin. i can appreciate ppl's concern, but small pimples on your dogs chin are normal. i'm glad to see you care that much about your animals, but it's pretty common. i don't go telling everyone each time i have an ingrown hair. your concern is tantamount to you being noblely? cautious though.

18. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

There is a difference between some bumps and irratation or even pustules to even blackheads. But I understand what you are saying some ppl can over react. But there is a condition called canime acne and feline acne. There was a cat at the hospital I worked at that had it so bad that we had to sedate and shave and scrub her chin. So you really should not down play it. Because you really do not know. Just a thought.

19. frenchie1936

frenchie1936 Guest

you'll have to excuse me for my lack of interpersonal skills if i came across as downplaying it. :)

20. Envy's Mom

Envy's Mom Top Dog

simple solution...Wish it were that easy. I work part time and usually have ample time to do whatever with the dogs. Due to issues at work I have been at work everyday and also have many other responsibilities. I havent had time to do our regular routine and shes getting fat.

She was on the DVP Potato and Duck for about 8 weeks before I noticed any signs of a reaction. Before when she was a pup I fed her Timberwolf and she got hives all over her body with in the first 3 or 4 weeks. I took her to the vet and was told she had food allergies. It doesnt always take 90 days for a reaction to surface.

I originally switched her puppy food b/c of her gas, but I needed to change her over to an adult feed anyway. So therfore the only food she did well on has too much fat IMO.

Each time I switch her food it is to a different protein source. I know she is allergic to chicken. I put her on Solid Gold Beef and Barley since I could not find the Natures Variety Venison formula near by.

Its not the pimples on her chin I am concerned with it it the big bumps that look like hives on her top lips. I bleached all the bowls, cleaned their kennels and washed her real good. The puppy nipped her face and made two of the bumps bleed. I cleaned them up and they do not seem to be getting worse. I am just waiting now to see if she does well on this food. If all else fails I will go back on the fatty food but I would a perfer finding a food that suits both our needs. LOL.

Thanks for the replies. Its nice to hear so many opinions.