1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Patterdales?

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by TopBox, Aug 12, 2011.

1. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Ok ive been reading about this for awhile now but have yet to decide to get one. I have an ole Jack Russell thats about on her last leg now and was looking to find another little terrior to fill her spot. Ive ran across a guy that has some nice little ones and was wondering if I am making a good choice about the little booger. My Jack is smart enough to stay out of harms way when im working in the yard but smart enough to alert me when things are bad. (yard accident what have you) Are the Patterdales as smart as i have read and able to use there better judgement or just straight drive dogs? We are outdoorsy and often go camping and hunting and the Patterdale would be another member of the family and spend lake days and nights along side us. (wife and kids)

2. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

they are as smart.. my patterdale is the smartest dog i have had and easiest to train.. they are very intelligent dogs..

only thing is, patterdale differs from type to type.. there are those with border influence and ones with bulldog influence or should i say staff and some even jrt and also of course Lakeland and bedlington which i read some old timers introduced ad hence some of them have coat like bedlington terrier.

3. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

So i take it its about like anything else meaning you will not know what you have until its here. Im getting one from a breeder thats been with the patterdales for over 20 years and I talked to him about the dogs for awhile and felt pretty good about the choice but the breed is new to me and ide like to get one that will not try to take on a 40 pound bulldog either. This little guy is Texas bound already but whos a good breeder on what im looking for?

4. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

mine will come face to face with a big working type German shepherd and will try to root the dog, doesnt matter male or female lol but if the dog tried to bite him and run at my dog my dog will run, when the dog stops and goes back my dog will go right back at him and try to root again.. but if my dog got bit by that dog than he will fight and not cry and run.. like a chihuahua, he will jump at it and fight it back guaranteed lol

so he wont start a fight and also wont back down from a fight.. if chased by big dog he will run but will get back at it again.. very hard headed dog and persistent.. wont stop till he gets what he wants.. they will really challenge you. if u soft they will have their way

5. They are terriers .. So you have to take them around other dogs and you need to show them how you want them to act. If you correct the dog fighting from a young age you will be fine .. I have a few and the last thing I want my hunting dogs to do is fight another dog ..