1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Other breeds?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TxDogger, Mar 27, 2008.

1. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

I was just wanting to know if anyone had other breeds than the pit bull.... I personally think that the APBT out classes any dog in the world but I do have another breed of dog too.. I have a Min. Bull Terrier that is my house dog along with my pure nigerino pit... I only have one bull terrier with no intentions on breeding him.. I have just always wanted one and my husband got him for me for V-day........ So just wondering if anyone else has another breed that they own or that would come second to the APBT....................

2. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

I don't have any other breeds, but I spend a lot of time with my parents. (I am the only child/not married/no kids/etc) They have a 2 year old Great Dane. (pics are in gallery)

If BSL's come to Lake Odessa and I can't keep my 'pit bull' type dogs, I would go for a Great Dane. I would only own one at a time. Considering my 3 'pit bulls' weigh about as much as the one Great Dane, I could not see owning more than one of those gigantic dogs.

They have great tempermants (sp) and are SO loving. The way he swings his 150 pound ass up on the couch and looks at you with his eyes.

3. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

Good choice I like your last pic with the Dane laying beside your pit dwarfing him lol.. What does that horse eat a sack a day lol... Very pretty dog.

4. i have a boxer/pit. i love boxers and their energy and happy personality. that damn dog never has a bad day, even when he broke his leg. i had to go once a week to get his cast replaced (which hurt my pocketbook more than anything) because he was literally running it down to nothing!

in the past i have owned a dachschund (really snappy, hated him) chow chows (I LOVED them! great cuddle bunnies!) and various strays that came up in the yard... anyone want to guess what this one is? hes the dog i left behind at my moms house, absolutely wonderful dog!
    [​IMG]

5. Other then my bulldogs i got an American bulldog for sch and a Dutch Shepherd for mr.

6. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

I give what is he?

I have also had a American Bulldog but im not real fond of the breed after owning her.. she was very agresive and protective to an extreme.. She loved the kids but would try and kill anyother animal that got close to her.. she was very socialized but it just didn't work out..........

7. kane85

kane85 Top Dog

Besides myt pits I got an english mastiff a real goff ball dose not know his own stragth we call him vadder manner his at 160lbs

8. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

I've had a few other breeds...miniature poodle, cairn terrier, border collie, australian shepherd, cocker spaniel, american eskimo (I would never allow another into my house...HATE that breed), pitbull mixes, and pitbulls. If I couldn't have pitbulls anymore I'd definitely switch to Dogo Argentinos...I plan on getting one in the future anyway. Love those dogs. And other than that, I'm sure I'll have my fair share of mutts. Danes are awesome too...I just can't take the drool that I've seen come from them!

9. thepitpalace

thepitpalace Big Dog

Papillons, Mini Schnauzer, Beagle/JRT mix, Staffie, and a Great Dane/ADBA mix (droolless, thank goodness) and a baby Boxer.

10. ultimatek9

ultimatek9 Top Dog

Besides my four APBTs, I also have an Akita, a Dogo Argentino, a GSD, a Chihuahua, a Patterdale Terrier, two Miniature Pinschers, and an a-hole mixed breed.

11. TxDogger

TxDogger Big Dog

Damn you have your hands full... I have always wanted a Patterale....

12. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

At this present time, I own a Dogo Argentino, Rottweiler, and Olde English Bulldogge (who's lucky to be alive after what he did all last night).

My favorite dog of all time was Wrigley, my Shar Pei/Cane Corso mix, that passed away last year.

As much as I love and respect APBTs and although they are my favorite, there are other breeds that I also like and respect. :)

13. Bullyson

Bullyson CH Dog

I have owned quite a few different breeds but as of now only APBTs. I had a straight gangster Chiuahua who bit everyone that came over here. He was put down not long ago. Since then it's been all bulldogs and to be honest, I have no desire to own another breed. YIS, DJ.

14. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

MIA:How does a DOGO compare to a APBT? Similiarities/Differences? I absolutely love the Dogos. You got any pics of him/her?

Andrew

15. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

We've got a Dogo at my mom's house. When I moved out, Jedi stayed there. They're pretty neat dogs. Much bigger than your average APBT, and in my experience not as hot towards other dogs. The one we have is also a nice natural guard dog with a big-ass bark, but still a good family dog and willing to meet new people. If you've got the space and inclination to own a big dog, they're worth a look, IMO.

My dad has two fluffball dogs -- Tibetan Spaniel and Sheltie -- that stay here with us. I like the Tibetan well enough, for a little dog with long hair. The poor Sheltie is dumb as a box of rocks.

16. smokey024

smokey024 Big Dog

I have had a golden retriever, cocker spaniels, and a bunch of mutts growing up now we have a west highland that’s annoying as hell. I would like to get a Dogo someday or an English mastiff. My neighbor has one that’s like 220lbs and an awesome dog except for the slobber.

17. short1

short1 Big Dog

besides apbt had 2 patterdales but really didnt have time for them so found them new homes but I do miss the little buggers

18. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Seems like we just recently had this same subject under a similar thread. But anyway, as deja vu would have it. I had the kids/ol lady a Chihuahua once but it got stolen by a nice Hispanic family who fancied it for some reason and figured it was ok to take it out of my yard. I could care less about the thing but it was my KIDS AND THEIR MOMS dog. So needless to say I will one day get it back O.J style most likely. And I use to have GSDs. for a while but 2 breeds of such magnitude was a lot to handle. And various mutts along the way that popped in.

19. swosprey

swosprey Pup

I recently adopted a Dogue De Bordeaux. Cool dog. I had too go with a larger dog because my forty pound bitch is so active and runs rampant with smaller dogs. He is 140#s and tries too keep up with her, which he does for about 10 minutes. They are both adopted. I got my bitch about 3 years ago after my last pup passed away unexpectedly from some sort of genetic condition(I got him from a well known breeder, and he passed his vet exam with flying colors, so I decided to go with adopted adult dogs from now on.). You can find some great dogs out there if you look through adoption. The Dogue is UKC registered and was really well trained.

20. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I agree.

Butch is about 100-110 lbs lean (as he's of the 3-legged variety :D ). He is easily waist high on me (I'm 5 ft. tall). He came to me from a man who hunts boars and bears with them so he's used to being a pack dog. While still a dominant dog and dominant breed, he functions much better within a pack unlike any of my APBTs. He definitely is a guard dog, but like Baha said, he is willing to meet new people. He will defend the yard with a deep, loud bark, but when people come over, he's not shy to approach them even if he is a bit on the wary side at first. However, those same people cannot just walk into my house while I'm not home. Not that he's aggressive, he just won't let them in. And he's very protective of his family. Not the most lovey-dovey snuggle dog, but definitely proud of us and loyal to us.

I don't know if I'll ever own one again as he came in with a badly damaged leg from a hunt and it had to be amputated. The owner wanted him euthanized, but we ended up convincing him to sign him over to me as long as we neutered him during the amputation surgery. So that's how I got my 3-legged lug-head. :)