1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

opinion on flirt pole work

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Scrappy!, May 12, 2011.

1. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

im going with...... 12

2. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

dang calm down everyone, im just sayin in my opinion the flirt pole is for someone lazy that wants to stand in one place and work their dog lol and doesnt wana do it themself. now a springpole, i can see a benefit from usin.

3. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

and..... a springpole involves ZERO use by the person, so they're for even LAZIER people than the flirt! way to go.... wanna prove some more points for us?

4. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

maybe the flirtpole is for someone that works a 15 hr shift and needs to work their dog.

5. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

dang whos watchin ur dog for those 15 hours lol

6. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yeah i know. and it's a great workout tool anyway. involves sprints, tug, coordination improvement, etc. but don't worry mlmaas, it's just for us lazy people, lol :-P

7. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

he's a big boy that doesnt need constant supervision.

8. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

im just sayin doin it with ur hands seems better, cuz then u can throw the tow and they can spring longer, with a flirtpole it seems like they have no distance to really sprint. Jumping and tugowar with it, well that u can do that urself or with the flirtpole but it just seems like you'd have to have a loonnnng spring pole for them to have any distance to really move

9. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

God, of course!

10. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

so basically you're saying you have zero experience with using a flirt pole? NOW you're making sense! hahaha

11. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

no, i'm answering the topic on the thread here. My opinion haha which is why spend the time and money to make one when you can do it yourself, where u can actually throw the toy where they can sprint longer than if they were just runin circles and figure eights. And u can still get them jumping and hangin on the tow and tug o war. Thats my opinion. Thats y i said i dont like em, then people jump all over me haha. I dont think this dude wants us arguin on his thread ya kno ... he just wants our opinion so thats mine ...

12. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

same as i use LBJ, that new bitch i showed you missed the hide and bite thru the pole and proceeded to try to eat the hide smh. Still it works very well for me too

13. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

i made one with a broomstick and parachute cord, drilled a hole on the end to run the cord through, use it like a fishin pole. gotta have quick hands though.

14. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

and sprinting isnt really the objective of using the flirt pole, if i want him to sprint, then we'll go sprint

15. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

o, well lbj says tugs, sprints ... etc. And she seems to know wats up with them.

16. DirtyD

DirtyD Top Dog

I go out in the field and dont stand still, I am walking up and down that field the whole time trying to keep the flirt pole away from the dog. I made mine out of small PVC tubing and a rope,thread the rope through the pipe and tie a knot at both ends, boom there you go. Dog goes bonkers and works harder at the flirt pole then any other activity thus why I use it. If you got a dog that dont like any thing other then running with the bike, hand walking, and flirt pole then how does it make you lazy adding flirt pole into the workout routine? To each their own but I think its a great workout for the dog and tires em out really good.

17. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

I have used the flirt pole with all my dogs.I have always been careful ,keep it low.I did hear of the stuff about hurting the kidneys,I don't know if it is true.Bob Lemm used to say that, but Bob used some kind of tug work.But Ozzie used to use a flirt pole and his dogs was in great shape. Far as people being lazy that use a flirt pole,thats not true at all. You still need to do road work.But it will put that edge on your dog.You always have to use common sense.

18. reddirt redneck

reddirt redneck Big Dog

its to give a more over all work out not just running straight lines its a reaction workout ,i use the horse lunge line as well works for my horses and dogs

19. mrstranger

mrstranger Big Dog

I use a flirt pole. Made mines out of bamboo, rope and an empty water bottle. Cost me zero cents. Haha. The bambo is from my gf back yard, the rope from the garage and the water bottle from the fridge. haha. I have a pretty big back yard and it's fenced so I let the guy out of the kennel and he goes nuts for the bottle. Haha.

I always keep the bottle low to keep him from jumping as much as possible.

20. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

ya reaction workout, prob not the most superior conditioning workout? seems like something someone designed back in the day for trainin for the box.