1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

OHMIDOG! : Semper Fido

Discussion in 'Dog Blogs' started by ohmidog!, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ohmidog!

ohmidog! CH Dog

[​IMG]
    Add the Marines to the list of military branches banning “dangerous” dog breeds from some of their bases — most recently Camp Lejuene in North Carolina.
    Nearly a year after a 3-year-old boy was killed by a visiting pit bull at Camp Lejeune, the base has changed its pet policy to ban full or mixed breeds of pit bull or Rottweiler, wolf hybrids, “any dog of any breed with traits of aggression as determined by the base veterinarian,” and any dog with a record of vicious behavior, according to a base spokesman.
    A Pentagon memo*issued earlier this year*bans pit bulls, Rottweilers, Dobermans and chows from living on Army bases. The Air Force also has enacted a breed-selective policy and the Navy is expected to do the same.
    The change at Camp Lejeune follows the death of Julian Slack last May, according to a letter written by Camp Lejeune’s commanding officer Col. Rich Flatau.* At the time of the attack, no specific breeds of dogs were forbidden on base, though animals deemed vicious were not allowed to stay, according to the Jacksonville Daily News.
    In a letter*distributed to family housing residents, Flatau said the breed choices chosen for the ban were based on*”a significant body of empirical evidence indicating they are apt to violent behavior, often unpredictable and have the capability to inflict severe harm or death.”
    (Clearly, the Marines would never tolerate that kind of behavior.)
    Camp Pendleton in California limits the number of dogs or cats residents can have, though no particular breeds of dogs are banned. Marine Corps Base Quantico, in Virginia, bans “potentially dangerous dogs such as full or mixed breeds of pit bulls (Stafford Bull Terrier, America Staffordshire Terrier and other similar breeds).”
    The revised order also will apply to dogs brought aboard the base by visitors, Flatau wrote in his letter.
    (Photo: Petoftheday.com)

More...

2. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Yeah I'm in the Marine Corps and work in the Pentagon. So it's old news to me. What realy pisses me off is arround this time last year a Rottie Attacked a little girl in Camp LeJune NC and on the cover of the MarineTimes (witch by the way is NOT a Marine Corps publication) Had a big ass picture of ABPT showing teeth :mad:. Pissed me off the damn storry wasnt even about a pit bull......

But this is old news. This is why I don't live on base housing.... They won't alow my dogs.

Vic

3. KADO

KADO Pup

I'm stationed in Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany GA and they haven't allowed APBTs since 2002.

4. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

They were starting to crack down be for I left Pendleton in 07.

5. KADO

KADO Pup

Your not the only one, I wrote the editor of the Marine Corps Times on that one.

6. KADO

KADO Pup

Yeah that's when I left there to.

7. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I did too. I work in the "Mans" Office up here. I didn't find out till that issue came out that it was not a Marine Corp publication. I was pissed..... Who were you with in Pendleton? I was with 1st Mar Div

8. KADO

KADO Pup

Echo Battery 2/11

9. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

I use to do numbers/ manpower and staffing for all of division.... you a arty guy?

10. KADO

KADO Pup

Ammo Tech, spent 5 years with Arty

11. TheVictor22

TheVictor22 CH Dog

Thats was up