1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

OHMIDOG! : Mother elaborates on McDonald's incident

Discussion in 'Dog Blogs' started by ohmidog!, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ohmidog!

ohmidog! CH Dog

OHMIDOG! : Mother elaborates on McDonald’s incident

Jennifer Schwenker has spoken publicly for the first time since she, her autistic twin sons and their service dog, Barkley, were bullied out of a Marietta, Ga., McDonald’s last month.

Schwenker said she was just trying to leave the restaurant when she accidentally spilled some of her drink on the off-duty manager who had ordered them out.

“I accidentally dropped the drink just trying to get out the door frantically,” she  told 11Alive News in an exclusive interview Monday.

The drink splashed on several people, including the off duty manager, who followed Schwenker outside and, out of the view of cameras, slapped her, police said.

The manager, Tiffany Denise Allen, 25, was fired and faces misdemeanor assault and battery charges.

Schwenker was having lunch with her twin 8-year-old sons, Ben and Sam, and their autism service dog, Barkley, a Labrador and bloodhound mix who was trained at “4 Paws for Ability”, of Xenia, Ohio, when the off-duty manager insisted the dog had to leave the restaurant.

“Most of the time people don’t understand about autism dogs and what they do,” Schwenker said.

She said Barkley joined their family two years ago, and helps calm her sons, as well as keep track of them.

As a result of her McDonald’s experience, Schwenker has created a web site called “Animals in Service for Children” and is using it to tell her family’s stories and those of others that may have had similar problems.

More...

2. old goat

old goat CH Dog

Re: OHMIDOG! : Mother elaborates on McDonald’s incident

i hope she sues them .

3. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

It seems Wal-Mart and McDonalds doesnt like dogs. Damn good reason for me not to go to either one.

4. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

besides what happened...why do you need do bring your dog into a fast food joint? "its a sevice dog blah blah blah" ..use the drive-thru.

5. old goat

old goat CH Dog

look smart guy mlmaas . service dogs can go anywhere . you have some kids that have problems and need a dog and say that . some will tell you when your fixing to have a seizure . you need to spend some time with a kid that's auistic . you will be very tired .

6. venom

venom Top Dog

yeah, you should not be denied or have to give reason.
    if its a fkn service dog, its a service dog.
    keyword is service, the dog does a service that is required by said person.

7. old goat

old goat CH Dog

they train the dogs to stay with the kids that are auistic .these kids can get lost in seconds . not all but most . and alhemizers patients are the same . the dogs are the only hope in some cases to find them .

8. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

Look old goat get off your high horse. Ive got first hand experience with those issues. The ADA gives these rights, and some choose to abuse them, or exercise bad judgement. Taking your dog into a fast food joint when the drive thru is clearly the more sensible option is just a bad judgement call.

9. venom

venom Top Dog

Thats like saying, If I go to starbucks on the regular and I'm always exercising my right to openly carry a pistol and receive no problems. but one day a manager at some starbucks gets a hair up their ass and causes a scene, i made bad judgement? I'm sure they have been to places like this before with their service dog with no problem so why would they expect one on this particular day? Doesnt sound like abusing a right.

10. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

lets see, drag my big slobbering bloodhound x lab mix into a McDonalds at lunchtime (probably pretty crowded) so i can "exercise my right", or go to the damn drive-thru......tough call.

11. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

BTW i have a service dog in my house.(seizure alert, doctor approved)

12. venom

venom Top Dog

I wouldnt do it, for the simple fact I wouldnt want someones slobberin ass dog near where im eating.
    But if they wanted to go in and sit down, what can you do... they have the right to do so.
    they shouldnt just not go in anywhere cuz of what someone may think of their dog.

13. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

just stating my opinion bro...sure they have the right, but i have the right to call them an idiot when i see them lol

14. old goat

old goat CH Dog

you ever see a kid with real bad autism ? some are really hard to handle . they try to get out of the car and do all kinds of things . you need to have more compassion for the mom and the 24/7 stresses she goes through to get through everyday . if she wanted to eat inside then she can do it . hell alittle dog breath or what your worried about is not going to hurt anyone . then well why do you have a dog ? go to other countries and see where you can take you regular dog .

15. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

yes i know how hard it is to handle medical conditions and children. So lets take all that and add a dog into the mix in the middle of fuckin McDonalds.

16. old goat

old goat CH Dog

i guess you don't know how good service dogs are trained . do you worry about your dog being around you when eating ?

17. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

When I'm in public it isn't always about ME.

18. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

To bad most others dont feel that way. Around town most people here think the world revolves around them. lol

19. old goat

old goat CH Dog

the world revolves around the childern . they are the only hope we have . raise them well and love them all you can .

20. mlmaas

mlmaas Top Dog

We can speculate all we want, more to the story i believe. I understand what you mean OG. There is never a "one size fits all" solution".