1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

O ring question - gimme a reply stillwater

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by mseebran, Aug 24, 2008.

1. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

I recntly went shopping for an o ring for an axle setup. Lowe's had nothing worth getting so I went down to the trusty Tractor Supply store. That place is like a man's Wal-Mart, everything from boots to dune buggys. I had a choice of two o rings, brass or steel. Common sense and my knowledge of some metal work and welding told me that steel would be stronger. But the products said differently. The brass ring had more than twice the working load limit as the steel one:confused:.

I bought the brass, and have been second guessing myself ever since. I have been checking all of the hardware daily and everything seems to be fin right now. What do you guys think??

2. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Whats the diameter of the material, not the diameter of the ring itself?

3. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

it looks to about 3/16th to 1/4" max.

I know I said that I thought steel was stronger than brass, but now that I think about it, the brass could be stronger just softer and easier to bend right?? Correct me if I'm wrong stillwater, you seem to be the authority when it comes to equipment. As soon as I'm done with my permant yard and enclosure setup I'm gonna have to give you a call and get some of those mack daddy supplies I just saw on your site. I love those old pics you have as your background on your pages. Who are the dogs and folks on there??

4. Stillwater

Stillwater Top Dog

Comercial grades of brass are very corrosive resistant, and have a high level of hardness due to zinc content, but have relativly low tensile strength as compared to a low carbon steel such as A36 grade, and brass is notorious for breaking because of brittleness which is a result of low ductility/elasticity. Its most commonly seen when brass becomes cold.

There really is no need for corrosive resistance, and same level of hardness, can be achieved using a zinc plated, low carbon steel alloy, without compramising tensile strength and ductility/elasticity.

Hope this helps

5. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

You really know your stuff stillwater. Thanks alot for the reply. I'm gonna move the axle to a different location sometime soon.She got into my wife's shrubs and had a party in the red cypress mulch:eek:.Needless to say, my wife is pissed:D. So I'm gonna get a better o-ring.