1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

North Carolina!!! HOG HUNTING

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by rockykennels, Jul 20, 2010.

1. trying to learn more about this sport and how to get down and enjoy it!!! post pictures and info about it

2. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

good sport and good way of life!..get you a good pack, with no human or no dog agression, its gonna take its toll, but when you got it down its all worth it. Better learn all you can on first aid, you can get your dogs killed so be ready to replace them, thats just how it is, no one can change that

3. i been wanting to get into it and enjoy the out doors i want to see it done in person do it a couple of times with people that know what they are doing... thanks for the good word

4. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

5. AmericanDogMan

AmericanDogMan Big Dog

Rocky's that dude :lolup::lolup::lolup:
    But that ish is hilarious...Schutzhund anyone...

On the real tho check this site out
    Page 1 (I am almost certain they used to be in the []; good source for idea on gear tho)

I got some vids too; was thinking about getting into it myself...
    AR-15, bulldog, and bacon!
    What could be better???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2010
  6. catchdog

catchdog Top Dog

any dog can be taught to catch, but where the challenge lies is in the strike dogs, it is hard to train a dog to find em, and not trash on anything other than hogs like deer coon,skunks livestock etc., and it takes more than one strike dog to keep a hog bayed long enough for a catch dog to show up, then you really need two catchdogs because alot of hogs are pretty ruff. Now you gotta be real balls to the wall, you cant hesitate and try and think things out when youre caught, you have to get your dogs no matter what or they are dead. you gotta get that hog flipped and tied or stuck. Its not all fine and dandy, it will be in the most fucked up scenario possible, this is where hogs hang out, thorns, water, bluffs. and again no matter how far you gotta swim or how far you have to venture out to get your dogs you will have to be ready, or the next thing you know the farmers and locals will be findin your dogs and sayin these guys keep leavin dogs behind and you lose your rep. also to run dogs, you need alot of land you will find out how tochy people are when it comes to runnin around their land, I dont mean to sound discouraging, but even after you have caught your 100th hog, you will still find yourself in a position knowing you have alot of room for improvements

7. AmericanDogMan

AmericanDogMan Big Dog

Damn, now I'm intrigued; sounds like you need to find a good teacher or your dogs are dead.

I heard about some catch clubs you can join??? I could be wrong on this CatchD (anyone) correct me if I'm wrong on this.

8. Dunlap 1

Dunlap 1 Big Dog

He has a good point. Go to ADM's post and look at the link he posted. I watched the video and hog hunting with dogs is no joke. It's a rush but it's not just something you jump into and try it with your dogs. Take the guided tour and see what it's like. Kinda expensive but it looks worth it.

9. I'm moving to charlotte nc any suggestions on community options?