1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New to APBT

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by MyDogBuck, Jul 25, 2004.

1. MyDogBuck

MyDogBuck Pup

Hey guys, I'm 17 and I live in Georgia. I've been wanting an APBT for some time now. Me and my dad boar hunt and my dad had 4 Dogo Arentinos that he used and had to get rid of them (uncle has them in Florida) when we moved. I have since had a Presa Canario that I used for boar hunting and I have used him (Buck) for boar baiting to train him for hunting. He has since died from an accident during boar hunting, boars tusk punctured the chest vest and hit a lung thus having him being put down about a month ago. I have since stopped boar hunting and now want a good loyal working dog. I may end up hunting again but I'd like to also explore dog pulling too. so the question is, should I have an APBT or go to another Presa? thnx for help in advance

2. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

I'm not very familiar with the Presa, but do know there ain't another dog pound for pound that can hang with a gamebred APBT in a hunt of any kind. Hope this helps ya out a lil. ;)

3. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

If your looking for a loyal working dog then the APBT is the one I would suggest. But before you make a decision on you must first realize that owning an APBT is a great responsibility. I mean you have an idea of the responsibility in owning a working dog; but you must also see that an APBT is not for everyone. What I must stress to you is do alot of research; so that you have no doubt in your mind that this is exactly the breed you want. Once, if and when you do decide on a APBT; you will see that you found yourself not only a 1st CLASS WORKING DOG, but also a LOYAL FRIEND!!! :D

4. gator

gator Big Dog

I also live in Florida and do alot of hog hunting or used to with bulldogs and they were great but we lost some good dogs due to them not really knowing back up and regroup because of the gameness bred into them and as you know a big pissed off boar hog can do some damage with his tusks. Anyway we started crossing our hog dogs with bird dogs and that worked out real fine for hog hunting some of them actually turned out to be fairly good trail dogs and when they caught it wasn`t so hard to break them off and if the boar was too much for them they would back off and bay and that would give us the chance to bring in more dogs. I think that you need to do alot of research on this great breed and needless to say you will find them to be loyal,courageous,and just simply the best dog on earth and maybe find you some of them black mouth curs for your hog hunting.

5. MyDogBuck

MyDogBuck Pup

Yeah, my uncle uses Southern Curs for hunting. My whole family basically has working dogs. My Grandpa always had a Chessy around him when he hunted ducks. thats what our whole family likes to do is hunt. I'm slowly learning more and more about these dogs. I dont know what it is about the bull dog bred family. I guess I just like that "I'm in charge here" look they have and their working ability. I am slowly leaning towards the APBT, but we'll see what happens.

6. LA_Headhunters

LA_Headhunters Big Dog

Good Luck in your search. Before you get an APBT make sure you read and Reasearch everything you can get your hands on.

7. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Personally I love pitbulls and I own one. They are some really good dogs and they will work like hell for you. They are right when they say you should do a lot of research. But honestly, you are used to having a big dog. Presas or not small at all and they can handle a heavy load. I'm real familiar with them. My uncle owns a couple of them that roam his property and they aren't the same size as a pitbull (not that size has to do anything with strength). I'm not sure if this is really making sense, but I think you should research the APBT breed really well and decide from there. If you do not get one, I would defenitely stick with getting another Presa. I love those dogs as well. They are excellent dogs. Here is a link and a pic if anyone doesn't know what an Presa Canario looks like. Very impressive dog.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/canarydog.htm

8. Well i dont know anything about Boar hunting but i did see a bob stevens video were he had some of his APBT's going at it and they seemed to be doing the job for him.. But like everyone said here Research the breed and see if thats what you want.. Good luck to you..PEAcE

9. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

If you go for the APBT just make sure he is not a gamebred one. It won't work for hog hunting.