1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New Pup

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by crunK, Jan 1, 2005.

1. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Goats milk is what she needs, it has more vitamins/minerals in it than the cow's milk. Stinks but works wonders, you'll see a huge difference.

Vaccinating at 4 weeks can do more harm than good. It can weaking the immune system even more, since it will already be a little week from being weaned too early, so be extra careful..

good luck and its a great looking pup

2. crunK

crunK Pup

Where would you buy the goat milk from?

3. iwallace

iwallace Pup

CRUNK...hi and welcome to a great site..
    can you find out what shot your dog had first..??
    just incase it didnt have the first shot, he mightpick up some disease later on ??
    got to be worth trying to find out. i always thought vets wouldnt give shots to pups until they where 8 and 12 weeks old...not 100 % but it may be around that time .
    how many times aday are you feeding your pup..
    anyway great looking pup..
    i think i would of brought him aswell ( the cute factor thing ?? hahahahaha )

4. crunK

crunK Pup

Feeding her twice a day, and I leave extra dog food and water next to her bed, incase she gets hungry at night. But like I said, I guessed on the age shes about 4-5 weeks old. Thank you for your concern and opinons and tips everyone! Keep them coming, anything to make my puppy as healthy as possible!

BTW: For some reason she doesn't like to drink water, she trys it and walks away. I think she is still on milk.

5. iwallace

iwallace Pup

crunk
    i think it would be better if you fed her more often aswell. ( my opinion )
    i have a seven month old pup and im still feeding 3 times aday,was 4 times aday only a few weeks ago.
    and she is still on the GOATS MILK...

6. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

Now..she looks great but If you are going to spend the money on Iams, you might want to look into some kibble that is better and probably around the same price ..you may end up feeding less in the long run, too

With Iams, while its not a bad kibble, there is alot of corn in it. you might want to look into something like Canidae or Chicken Soup for the puppy lovers Soul .. I used the chicken Soup kibble and the pups really seemed to like it

And pups usually get wormed starting at 2 weeks, first set of shots is given at 6 weeks of age (some might do it at 5) then every 3 to 4 weeks after. Some vets will also give an extra parvo shot epsecially in breeds that are susceptable to it ..(I cant remember if they give an early one or not...)

The first set of vaccinations are usually they Canine Coronavirus and the Canine Distemper, Parainfuluenza, Parvo combo IT also can depend on where you live..

7. crunK

crunK Pup

I tried to look for Kibbles when I bought the IAMS but there was none, or I didn't look hard enough. But I'll try the chicken soup for puppies and Kibbles thanks Rocksteady. And thanks Iwallace, I'm going to start feeding her more. Where you get goats milk from?

8. Irish_Deciple

Irish_Deciple Big Dog

Thats is a good looking pup, I have a male now who is grown but looked the same as a pup. I personaly would be cautious about the breeder letting the pup go so early, there could have been a problem with the mother and the pups had to weaned but not to have papers is always a red flag. However I wouldent rely on just any papers to support the breeders claim on your dog being an APBT. I would look for a good set of U.K.C. papers not some of the others that can be aquired by simply sending in a picture of the dog(s) in question.
    It all depends on what you want in your dog and what you plan for your dogs future.

9. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

I got both my pups shots at around 8 weeks.....they already had their first dewormings and such. And then at 8 weeks he got for parvo, disinteria(spelling?) and wormed once more I believe. On top of this he clipped nails, cleaned ears, checked for fleas, etc. and it only ran me 20-30 bucks per pup. Good luck with the pup shes a looker!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2005
  10. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Missed the question early on where to find goats milk.. We usually get it here from Walmart, its on the baking isle..

Hope your pups is doing good!

11. IMHO, i would not give milk to a pup that is already whelped. as far as not wanting water, if you keep a fresh supply of water, they will get thirsty and they will drink. I feed my dogs excalibur because it not only has the omega 3 & 6, it has 26%/18% protein/fat. it produces a nice solid stool and it doesn't have an odor as does the other feeds. when pups are under 16 weeks old you need to keep the bowl full at all times for them. as far as missing the first shot, not a big deal when you constantly give 7way shots I give shots at 2,4,6,8,10,12 weeks then one final one at 16 weeks with a rabies shot and in the meantime starting at 2 weeks i use ivermectin, never has hurtem and i have never had heartworms or anyother worm on my yard. i use cedar chips and i don't have any flea problems either. when my bitches are bred at the start of the pregnancy i give ivermectin then one month later then two weeks before expected delievery, i give ivermectin while the whelping process is going on as well.

12. wwonka812

wwonka812 Pup

HCK,have to agree with you on the paper thing,im not a big fan of registering or any other type of things to identify him a as a apbt,especially here in fla where if your insurance company for you house knows you have one they up the premium if they even insure you....(i know its stupid......)also if there is ever any type of ban on them here.........well than it is just a mutt...........prove it! well just my two cents worth

13. crunK

crunK Pup

I don't see the point of having papers. Unless you want to breed. I tried to take it to get some shots today and the vet told me she has to be 8 weeks old to take shots. And I should feed it 5-6 times a day in milk.

14. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

I understand that crunk...but if that's your standpoint, why didn't you rescue? What's the point of BUYING a "purebred" dog if you don't care whether or not it's really purebred?

15. registering is important, if you want a accurate journal from a recognized registry such as ADBA, when your dead and gone the legacy lives on and besides, insurance companies only know what you tell them. if you have papers how would they know. they only come around when you first insure the home and take pictures of the home to prove its insurability at time of application.

16. IMO you need to get a second oppinion. puppies can get parvo way before 8 weeks or distemper.

17. when a pup is first born and it is a normal whelping there is collestrum in the first milk, this gives the dog antibodies to fight off diseases temporarily, all a shot will do at 2 weeks is reinforce the immune system. at 4 weeks the pup is wearing down the natural immune system given by the first milk. that is why you need puppy booster shots usually every 2-3 weeks until 12-14 weeks then again at 16 with rabies shot. if you look at any vaccine magazine it will state approximately the same thing. read ED FARON'S BOOK, THIS WILL ENLIGHTEN YOU TO ALOT OF HELPFUL HINTS AND THINGS. IT IS THE BEST MONEY I EVER INVESTED.

18. crunK

crunK Pup

The HSPCA is very far from my house. I don't feel like filling out a paper then having to talk to someone about how steady my life is going and how I think I would be a good pet owner. (Adoption counseling) Basically I would rather pay 150 for a pet then driving to the HSPCA and adopting besides I knew that APBTs have good relationships with families, after all they won better temperment than Golden Retrievers.

Laziness > Me

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2005
  19. wwonka812

wwonka812 Pup

then as i said also if you adopt and there is a ban you are listed as a apbt owner with the rescue leage witch is a county run organization here.