1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

New gen coming in

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jamie123, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Jamie123

Jamie123 Pup

Myself being fair new to apbt. I searched here for a thread giving advice to new comers to the breed and didn't see anything like it so my question any advice good or bad to new ones coming in?

2. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

To be honest I started learning about these dogs in depth here. This is where I made my first REAL attempt to educate myself, rather than believe what I was told. Do some searching on topics that pop up in your mind, ask questions about what's not understood. The only dumb question is the one not asked.......for the most part. LOL

You'll get some shit here and there, but people respect those who keep their nose to the grind, and sooner or later a hand will be extended, hopefully. If not there are plenty out their blazing their own trails, with experience comes knowledge. Just remember it comes with pain, sweat, tears and a whole lotta cash out the window.

3. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Great points, Mud. I'd also suggest going to your local dog shows and talk to people.

4. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Yessir TREEZ, also some books. Some may laugh, but I started off with the Stratton books. From there read some other literature, posts, and talks. The Historical section is a very good spot to start. Baby steps also, and it always helps to keep your eyeys n ears open, & UR MOUTH SHUT.

5. Jamie123

Jamie123 Pup

Will do. I've been lurking around forums for about 2 years now

6. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Great post Mudville as we all wernt born into these great bulldogs and in alot of areas good mentors are far and few...
    Not only do I learn about differnt aspects of our bulldogs, but I can share my beliefs and broden my understanding thru tangible interaction...
    My first true understanding of the APBT was no other than Strattons books, also... I know of alot of so called dogmen that were taught some backwoods aSs
    s#it as well as some inner city folk that forgot to get the basics and believe they know it all... After I Read Stratttons books I was sure i knew everything,lol..
    Twenty years of q&a later I thought I knew alot more and I found a computer and realised learning is everending espeacialy about our breeds vastness...
    I also like to learn anything about dogs in general and noticed it helps open my mind about our breed...
    My advice is look for holes in post and you will find validity in individuals opinons on other post... Once I catch people in lies or bs, rarely do I trust anything they say and often overlook thier post... After trolling for a couple years, I got to a point where I felt my opinons were differnt than alot of folks and felt people where missing something I was eventually blessed with, A LIKEMINDED MENTOR with a dog whisper sense of bulldogs... Like Mr.Stratton, my other mentor amd myself all value The LIL RASCALS PETEY and the HANK type of old nanny bulldogs... Mr.Ralph Greenwoods sense of husbandry towards both his family and his dogs was second to none... He taught his children about discapline thru the apbt and was known too take home a winner and put hem to sleep in his childrens bed... This must of have been imbedded in his son Harveys head when he died in a house fire saving the dogs... This storey and other great ones were told in Starttons books and I must say if I didnt read his books that I wouldnt love these dogs the way I do and I would probably HATE YOU ALL... Knowledge is a mf, especially when it pretains to your innerbeing...
    I can say I briefly shook the mans hand at a show and said I was a fan of his books...BUT ALL IN ALL MR.STRATTON WAS MY FIRST REAL MENTOR via his books...
    1)read all Strattons books and the complete gamedog is a must also...
    2)any questions use the search button...
    3)when all is weeded thru and your answer isnt there, dont be scared to ASK...Either start a thread or ask it on another thread, but be careful how you phrase your question as there are alot of a%$#oles waiting to jump down someones throat...
    4) find some ones opinon you value and PM them any questions you may have...
    5)dog shows are good way to physically meet people...
    6) figure out exactly what you want in a dog and seek out a breeder who holds the same values as I found my mentor when I found what type a dog I wanted...
    As we had the same morals and values... Never look for a certain look, color or bloodline as it will hender the values you are looking for...
    Good looking Jamie123 and continue your studies... If you only absorb one thing, remember what gamedogs have taught us...
    WHEN YOU BELIEVE IN SOMETHING GIVE IT YOUR ALL!!!

Mudville_Monsta likes this.
  7. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

"I knew evan as a child what type of dog I wanted was out there...If my father had owned them, I would be ahead right now"...Danny Burton

8. Jamie123

Jamie123 Pup

Thanks for all the help and advice Elias Mudville and Treez. Ive found the sporting bull terrier by Eugene Glass. I'll start there thanks again for the advice