1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Need some help.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Redtail74, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Redtail74

Redtail74 Big Dog

I got a male that I breed. I sold him to someone about 2 months ago and a friend of mine went to see him a couple weeks ago and the dog was in really bad shape. He had lost probaly 10 pounds of weight. My buddy took him back and kept him for a week before he told me about it because he didnt think the dog was going to make it. Anyway he starting doing better and put on some weight. I got him back to with in 3 pounds of his normal weight and now he is getting worse again. He still eats but dont drink very much. He is loosing weight again and sometimes will loose his balance. I have been keeping him inside since I got him back and only take him out to do his business. He kinda moops around now and you can tell he is not feeling good. Has anyone ever come across anything like this before? If so what was it? Oh yeah I did notice some worms in his stool the other day so I gave him some ivomec but this was after he started to loose weight again. Thanx for any help.

2. GD2

GD2 Top Dog

You Need To Get Him To The Vet. The Worms And Some Other Thands Probably Made Him Loose Weight. Some One On Here Will Probably Know Some Thing But To Be Sure U Should Take Him To The Vet Good Luck And Sorry To Hear That.

3. B

B CH Dog

If you care about the dog and want to save him, do the right thing and take him to a vet.

B

4. RHI

RHI Big Dog

I agree, I would take him to the vet, I personally, would not worm him yourself , let the vet do it if he's that sick....worms can make a dog that sick, and if he's acting like that, plus throughing them sounds like he has them pretty bad....odviously several things could cause him to act like that so would be best just to take him to the vet.......good luck

5. lilpitgirl

lilpitgirl Guest

What Color Are His Gums

6. SFK

SFK Top Dog

I was thinking the same thing. How old is the dog? What did the worms in his stool look like? What do you mean he loses his balance? Are you saying he's acting very sluggish, Like he has no energy, or do you mean it seems his equilibrium is off? Does his coat look dull & flat or shiny & heathy? Does he appear to be dehydrated? (If you pull up on the skin between his shoulder blades does it bounce back quickly, or does it sit up)? Do you know if the people who had him might of let him get into an "acciden" with another dog? If you don't know what you're looking for I to would get him to a vet. What was the dosage of Ivermect you gave him? At what weight?

7. RHI

RHI Big Dog

There is so many things it could be, if he looked & sounded otherwise healthy, I possibly would of guessed " possibly" an inner ear infection, head trama could also cause or look as the equilibrium was off, possibly something toxic he got into & / or to much Ivom. or, had he been on ivom. prior ?.....dogs can get seriously sick from worms, I know of someone years ago that had to have there dog hospitalized on IV for several days that was acting the "same" way from worms......or, could be something else and he just happens to need worming also....would take him to the vet to make sure what it is.........just to many things , hope all goes well

8. Redtail74

Redtail74 Big Dog

SFK, the dog is 14 months old. The worms were long and white kinda of like a spaghetti noodle and they were about 4 inchs long. He does act sluggish but sometimes he will all most fall over when he walks like his equilibrium is off but that dont happen to much I have only seen him do it twice in the past week. For the most part his coat looks just fine. It has always been kinda dull but then again he has what I call ruff fur anyway meaning it isnt soft like all the other dogs I have. His is just more course and a little thicker. He is a little dehydrated. His skin goes about 3/4 of the way back down. I'm keeping a bowl of water in his cage with him all the time and he does drink from it from time to time but like like I would expect him to being a little dehydrated. No he didnt get into an "accident" with another dog, not while he was there. I gave him 3/10 cc and his weight is 29lbs.

9. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Were the worms visible before the ivermect? If so that sounds like a very serious infestation. In a lot of cases Ivermect will not knock out all the worm like that. It is more for maintenance in keeping a worm free dog worm free. I'd treat the dog with Panacur, Start adding water to his food to rehydrate him, maybe some nutrical. You did'nt say what his gums looked like. However, I think your best bet would be the vet. The reason I asked about an "accident" is because the symptoms sound a lot like Babesia to me.

10. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

They can get babesia from ticks

11. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

Roundworms