1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

muddy setup

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by dadecounty, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dadecounty

dadecounty Big Dog

Does anyone know A good way of keeping the mud down around A chain setup?Its realy starting to drive me nuts seeing the dogs in the mud.PLEASE HELP

2. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

Ive seen some nice setups that use sand or pea gravel...just a thought.

3. HighCoastHiker

HighCoastHiker Top Dog

I also have a problem with mud due to the fact that the best kennel space is in the lowest point of the yard. When it rains all fall or the snow melts all spring, mud, mud and more mud. The only real solution is to raise the dogs and houses up over the dirt on a bed of fast draining pea gravel or rock dust. If you use dust, be careful with the type you get. Too fine, and the stuff will clump like cement and just give you water puddles to deal with instead of mud ones. Sand is generally too fine, washes away with a good rain, and appears to be especially conducive to parasite and bacterial growth. I find good round gravel best for handling mud, keeping bedding dry and feet healthy. But, that's just my experience.

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I've got the same problem, but my landlord won't let us put down any pea gravel or any type of rock. Any other suggestions? I was going to build platforms out of plywood to put my kennels on, but I am worried the dogs will chew it up or that wasps will build nests under it since it would be slightly elevated (I am allergic to wasps).

But sand is OK? I figured if you used sand all you'd have is a wet, sandy dog. lol.

5. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

carpet is a good way of keeping the mudd out youll need enough to cover the chain spot pluse three feet so good luck :D

6. NorthernOutlaw

NorthernOutlaw Big Dog

Crushed Limestone does the trick. Soaks up moisture like a sponge. Also keeps chain spot clean & fresh. I rake everyday after clean up to turn over the crushed limestone. Same stuff used on a baseball field.

7. CaesarIsis

CaesarIsis Top Dog

One of the problems with sand though is that it can stick to and corrode your hardware (swivels, rings, lap links) pretty quick.

8. budboy88

budboy88 CH Dog

rock dust or a shit load of saw dust

9. farm curs

farm curs Big Dog

10. NMWAPBT

NMWAPBT Top Dog

yea id say sand gravel bt the soft kind thts rounded saw dust bt the horse bedding soundds lyk a good idea

11. peppapig

peppapig Banned

put some thick rubber or plastic covering down and then add gravel....maybe some edging around it to stop it getting every were too......

12. peppapig

peppapig Banned

saw dust will just go too mush in wet.....all clumpy.....gravel on tough plastic roll out sheeting with gravel on top better imo....