1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Military Fosters?

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by jadedpitgirl, Oct 13, 2006.

1. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Does anyone know of any organization that fosters dogs for military families? I thought I had heard of one before, but that could have been a misunderstanding...

2. Im Active Duty And I Haven't Heard Of Anything. I Had My Dogs Over In Japan With Me For 3 Years. Fortunately, I Was Able To Leave The Game Dogs Over There With An Awesome Guy Who I Knew Would Do Well By The Dogs And Hopefully Prove Their Worthiness. It Cost An Arm And A Leg Just To Get The 2 Pets, The 1 Rescue, And The Show Dog Back To The States. Best Thing To Do Would Be Invest In Your Dog. Take Them With You If Possible. Its Alot More Hassle...but Worth It.

3. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

They had an organization in New Orleans right after Sept. 11 happened, but I'm pretty sure it has since disbanded. Let me see what I can find out for you.

Once we make our move to our desolate 30 acres, I would be willing to foster/watch a dog for someone who is off protecting my rights (& my ass ;) ).

4. Marinepits

Marinepits Big Dog

5. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

It's not for me, but for someone on another board. Her husband was supposed to be sent from MO to TX, and all of a sudden it has changed to Germany:( APBTs are not allowed in this country and will be destroyed!!! But, thanks for the feedback.

Marinepits~Thank you for the links;)

Mia, they have to leave in 2 weeks (I think).

Also, they had an accidental litter between the two dogs, so now they have 8 pups and the parents who are scheduled to be altered. She said she would love for someone to foster, but they will be in Germany for atleast 3 years....I will try to get her on this board to better explain everything.

6. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

bumping up!!

7. gil230

gil230 Big Dog

I know it's almost impossible, but ask your friend to ask his command if there is a slot open in Belgium for him. I know of a guy who had orders to Landstuhl and just asked to see if there was something else in Europe and he got stationed in the Netherlands. It will depend on his MOS, but if there is a slot open for him in Belgium he would be able to bring his dogs with him since there are no restrictions on the importing of APBTs. Though there are no restrictions on importing them, each commune (city) has it's own laws and some have banned many breeds of dogs including the APBT and Am Staff. Hope it works out for your friend.

8. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

Gil, thank you for your suggestion. The funny thing is, a different member from the other board actually lives in Belgium, she is trying to find housing for rent. If I understood everything correctly, the APBT owner is possibly going to rent in Belgium and visit with the spouse on weekends. I think it's less than a two hour drive from where he will be stationed.

9. gil230

gil230 Big Dog

Jaded,

I too live in Belgium. Actually, thanks to the Army that I'm stationed here. You friend whom you speak of must be Airforce, because the nearest Army base in Germany to me here in Belgium is Landstuhl and that's a 2 hour drive. The nearest military installation to Belgium in Germany is Spangdahelm and that's Airforce, hence my assumption of him being Airforce. If your friend rents a house in Belgium next to the German border, the dirve should be less than 45 minutes. But just remember that they will not be living no where near any Americans. That's something that they should consider. Also, not to me the deliverer of bad news, I doubt that his command will allow him to reside in the barracks while simultaneously receiving OHA (Overseas housing allowance) with his family having concurrent travel allowed orders. I hope that's not the case, but it might me different for the Airfoce. Shit, just to make a point, the gov't housing here in Belgium for the Army is considered sub-standard for the Airforce. You beleive that shit!!!
    Glad your friend is willing to go through that whole ordeal to keep his dogs but I feel for them. I can't imagine me visiting my wife just on weekends. Or could I????;) J/k I love my wife and I can't imagine doing that. Hell, she's 4 months pregnant and she would kill me if I even comtemplate it or mentioned it. You know how you women are when you're pregnant.:D If you need any more info, or if your freinds want to talk to me to get my two cents worth just let me know. PM me. I hope that it works out for your friends. Take care and God bless.

10. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

gil, this is her statement from another board:

Ok we are going to Bamberg we believe, as of right now.

I have no clue where that is in relation to belgium!!
    I dont know what to do!
    He just joined the service and we had received orders to go to Texas! No big deal right! Last week they switched it to Baumholder Germany where we could possibly of gotten them in, we would just need a letter from the Public Service Manager there. Then we get reorders stating 173rd Airborne which is in Bamberg or Shweifurt or some shit like that, dont know for sure which one we will be going to till the hubby gets there.
    We have begged cried pleaded screamed. I have called branch managers and everyone there is nothing anyone can do. All we can pray for is that when we get to Germany he gets accepted into SF training then he will come home for a year and a half for training and then possibly go back or be sent to an SF unit here in the US. That is what we are praying for. Even the Commander at his unit tried to get him in to the mine dog handler team but the CSM said it was too late there was not enough time to change his orders since he graduates next friday.

I am open to researching any option. traveling a couple of hours to see my hubby is not a big deal at all. We have driven 18 hrs to see each other so a 3 hr drive is nothing!!

Please let me know what you find out! Thanks so much!!!

11. gil230

gil230 Big Dog

I sent you a PM