1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Merle

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kingof2Titans, Sep 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Yea, this subject ALWAYS opens a can of worms. Big ole fat juicy night crawlers at that. You always have got some loud mouth (or 2 ... or 3 ... or more) who think they know it all about merles (but funny, have never met one) & their opinion is the end-all & be-all. :rolleyes:

So be ready for some good reading I have no doubt the roof will blow off in a minute or two.

(This comment wasn't directed at anyone, just a general comment.)

2. KBK

KBK Big Dog

Wow, way to make an entrance :rolleyes:

Some serious BS, obviously not the avid fancier

The last comment is also pretty condecending coming from BLUE dog breeders

3. I was incorrect, as I got carried away in the nerve for some people to call someone's dog a mutt, I meant to add they were used for it here in the states until animal rights fought against it, and research back then disproved that the meat of bull tasted any differently whether a bull was baited or not.

I brought up the Act of 1976 because of those who were discrediting merles
    (http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fspid=47) < that's what I was relating to, sorry if it was vague.

I read someone's post on bloodlines and couldn't believe that while I thought I had joined a forum to socialize and involve my dogs in events, people were bashing dogs and calling them mutts.
    If the public wants nothing to do with them, and a lot of people on here stick their noses up at some of them, I must not be in the right place!

4. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

KBK: Yeah, but if someone went hatin' on my dog I'd probably be ill too. Heck, most of us here would have reacted the same way if we posted some pics of our pride & joy pets & some rude person went to dumping all over them. Those dogs are probably just family pets that Queen & King love very much. And you're right, they're probably not "avid" fanciers, so let's not go to bashing, let's educate please. If we run everyone who needs to grown in the breed with our rudeness, how will they learn?

Queen: You're going to have to have a thick skin if you're going to own merles. A lot of people hate them. Trust me you & your dogs will get pooped on a lot, esp. on message boards. Ignorant people are everywhere. Heck, I had one of my merles DQ'ed out of a weight pull some weeks ago. It was fine when he was pulling light weights, there was no problem. But when the weight started to get heavier & he started to pose a risk to other some people's "traditionally" colored dogs, the judge DQ'ed him out. I guess he didn't want anyone there to get beat by a *merle!* (Horrors!) Luckily, I found another club to pull through that doesn't look at color & we had a fun time pulling him at another pull.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  5. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

If you like your dogs and take of them than whatever you want to feed is fine with me,but don't think people quit breeding true APBTs after '76.People still bred bulldogs.

6. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

I personaly would never own and do not advocate the breeding of Merle apbt's. thay are more than likely crossbred. We jump all over this subject because we suport the preservation of the apbt in its true form. Not the latest color fad breeding apbt. Or the once rare genetic rareity,now a dime a dozen, purposly bred for, previously rare, Blue or Merle apbt. Jmo.....Welcome to the site. Please quit color breeding:rolleyes:

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

gh: You're right. I never said people stopped breeding true bulldogs post '76. People still breed true bulldogs now. What I said was if a fancier appears less then educated on a subject educate, don't hate! You cannot hate on a person for being in ignorance if you don't attempt to teach them!

Big Game: I respect your right to your opinion. I don't sweat it myself b/c

1: I am confident in my line since I know almost all the merle ancestors in my dog's pedigree.

2: 99.99% of APBTs regardless of color are likely crossbred somewhere down the line.

But as long as you mentioned - you're keeping the breed true - you're going to be alright. But if you're breeding for other things - big heads, thick bones, color; be it blue, merle, rednose (seen TONS of sites that "specialize" in red/rednosed but don't see hardly any one kicking up about that :rolleyes:) or what have you, then you're getting off the tracks & need to find another breed.

JMHO ...

8. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

i only asked since you mentioned breeding "mase". take a phuckin chillpill. i admit i dont know much about them, and neither do any of the older gentlemen i know that have fancied this breed for decades. that seems a little suspicious if you ask me:rolleyes:

9. Mase's litter was actually an accident thanks to our roomate at the time, we haven't mentioned breeding him

10. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I think it depends on who you ask. Like I mentioned before, Howard Heinzl was of the staunch opinion that black was NOT a bulldog color. I myself have talked to some older men about 10 years ago who have told me merles have been around since they were knee high to a grasshopper. Now these were just rural dog men who were I guess you'd call "slow laners." They weren't "house hold names" by any means, just men who fancied bulldogs. They said the dogs WERE around, albeit in very small numbers. I was told most were culled b/c these "spotted dogs" were as you said, associated with birth defects. So many times they were culled at birth. A small number survived as simply as novel pets. At least this is what I was told. Sometimes you have to look in the little hides & hollers of the backwoods to find things. ;)

11. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

http://www.adbadog.com/p_gallary.asp?aid=5

hay king and queen I know I said I wasnt gonna say anything but that artical you posted was incomplete

so heres the chart of colors recognized by the adba

IS YOURS HERE

12. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Red/rednose is and always has ben a prelivant and common color in the apbt. Most of the original ofrn stock used in the conception of the modern apbt were red/rednose in color. Inbreeding and linebreeding on lines or familys of OFRN or familys based on or carrying a substantial amount of ofrn blood will always throw some dogs red/rednose in color. Red/rednose was never "rare" in our breed nor was it ever a Genetic Rareity. There is a big diference between a red/rednose apbt and a merle/blue apbt. Now the red/red nose dogs have ben exploited and become a victom of colorbreeding due to there beauty and flashyness. Anyone breeding for color and color alone is a color breeder no mater what color that happens to be. Nothing will change the fact that at one time both Blue and Merle dogs were Genetic rareitys that were capitalized on by color breeders now what was a genetic fluke is now in every colorbreeding peddlin kennel trying to make a buck off of people in search of a rare colored dog to show off and in return peddle in the future. Nothing wil change the fact that there is not one solid sporting apbt line that is founded and made up of nether Blue or Merle bulldogs.

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

What does that prove Frank? I don't see a merle there, but nor to I see a blue & tan, chocolate & tan, saddle back in any of the 3 variations in comes in, nor do I see blue tick, red tick ... I could go on, but I think you get the idea (the idea being a LOT of colors are missing from that page!).

And I just read the 2008 conformation rules. NO WHERE does it say merle is a DQ. it just say that unacceptable colors are those linked to any health defects. Yow! That means black, blue, white, blue fawn & red would be out too!

I'm going to e-mail the ADBA & see what they have to say about this ...

14. We posted the article because of the merles and gene pools, our dogs are actually Am Staffs not APBT, staffs are recognized in ALL colours pits are said not to be.

15. FrankDublin

FrankDublin CH Dog

And I just read the 2008 conformation rules. NO WHERE does it say merle is a DQ. it just say that unacceptable colors are those linked to any health defects. Yow! That means black, blue, white, blue fawn & red would be out too!

can you please tell me what health defects are connected with the black color
    and the red color cause thats a first for me

the only one I can think of with blue dogs is hip-dis due to bad breeding
    oh and they are not working dogs

white dogs can be death or blind at a higher % than any other color
    and I seen black n tan

brown n tan

just look carefully

and theres a few with ticing there to

16. ABK thanks for the advice, I must say it wasn't until I came on here that I had ever heard anything bad said about merles.

I knew that many people didn't approve of the colour

17. Big Game

Big Game CH Dog

Show me one example of a Merle Ch. Or Gr.ch. in the whole of apbt history.
    Give one example of a respected and known dogman that ran a line of merle bulldogs.
    Good luck.

18. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

hell breed away, i was under the impression we had the same kinda dog:D

19. my point is the site reffers to pits not staffies

20. mommy2kane

mommy2kane Big Dog

From the ADBA Conformation Standards:

Major faults: [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Merle color pattern or albinism. (White dog, blue or pink eyes, lacks pigment[/FONT][/FONT])

Not a DQ, just wanted to point out that Merle *was* mentioned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.