1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Mange 101

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by blackbeard, Jul 26, 2004.

1. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

Just thought I might be able to clear up some of the confusion on mange. Here I go.

There are two types of mange: a-Sarcoptic Mange
    b-Demodectic Mange

The PROPER way to diagnose either one is by performing a skin scrape of the affected area or areas and looking at it's contents under a microscope in search of the mites. With time and experience you might be able to recognize it with your own eyes, but until then stick to this article.

Sarcoptic Mange- It is often misdiagnosed as a skin allergy. It sometimes can be hard to find in the skin scrapes, so multiple scrapes may be needed. It is ONLY acquired through DIRECT contact. Either direct dog to dog contact or the direct contact of a dog to an infested area,for example a crate,dog house,kennel,etc. It is contagious at any age.It is very ITCHY, and the lesions are CRUSTY. The EARS and ELBOWS are it's favorite habitat, but it is also found in the adomen,chest and legs. Unless treated it will progress to the entire body. If you suspect your dog has it, a safe way to diagnose it would be by treating it and looking for a quick response to the treatment. What I mean by "quick response" is that it starts going away. One form of treatment consists of weekly dips,for example Paramite is one of those dips. If you are going to use the dip treatment, bathe the dog with antiseborrheic shampoo to remove the crustiness from the skin lesions. The dog MUST be 100% DRY before the dip is applied. Then read instructions on the label on how to apply dip. As with any mixed dip,mix only the exact amount needed for one treatment. Reason being is that mixed dips LOOSE their power or effectiveness after about 36 hours after being mixed.
    A much easier and hassle free method of treating sarcoptic mange is by using Ivomec injections, Ivomec is readily available in most feed stores, or someone you know who has dogs might have some. Treatment with Ivomec consists of TWO shots under the skin SEVEN days APART from each other. Make sure you use a 1cc syringe, you'll see why. The dose of Ivomec you will use is .1cc of Ivomec for every 10lbs. of body weight. Example:
    A 50 lb. dog would need .5cc or half of a cc on a given day, and that same dose again 7 days later, a 100 lb. dog a whole cc, a 40 lb. dog .4 or .40 of a cc(if you didn't know .4 and .40 is the same thing). I'm sure you can figure out the rest. Ivomec is also used in the prevention of heartworm. Ask your vet about the uses of Ivomec. By the way sarcoptic mange can be contagious to humans, but this is very rare, and if you do happen to get it, it is very easy to treat.

Demodectic Mange- It is NOT contagious.PERIOD. This mite is part of the normal fauna of canine skin and is present in very small numbers in healthy dogs.
    The transmission of this mite to a dog ONLY occurs from the direct contact of mother to puppies within the first 3 days of life. Mites have been found in the hair follicles of the muzzle of puppies by the time they are 16 hours old.
    This type of mange manifests itself in two forms,localized and generalized. Localized meaning small areas of hair loss, with most cases occuring at 3-6 months of age, and usually heal spontaneously. Some progress to the generalized form which covers the whole body.
    A hereditary disposition has been observed in breeding kennels. Any disease or condition that causes immunosupression may lead to an outburst of demodectic mange. What this means is that if a certain condition, like for example stress weakens the immune system, the immune system looses the ability to supress the mites therefore allowing them to reproduce and get out of control. So, it is not the mange in itself which is hereditary, what is hereditary is the immune system's inability to control the mites. So, dogs that have had recurrent bouts of demodectic mange, or do not respond to treatment should not be used as breeding stock, because they might pass on the immune systems inability to control the mites.
    Treatment for demodectic mange consists of weekly amitraz dips(ex.Mitaban) for 4-6 weeks, and up to 12 weeks in severe cases. Keep in mind that if a dog is suffering from a severe case of demodecosis, this does not necessarily mean it has a hereditary predisposition to it. Maybe he had never been treated before, or treatment was not done properly. Usually the latter is the case. Many owners don't do what they have to do, or are not consistent at it, and its the dog who pays the ultimate price.
    Avoid using home remedies like for example burnt motor oil. The reason this has worked in some cases is because mites need oxygen to live. Due to the oiliness(DUH!) of the oil when applied the oily surface does not permit the passage of oxygen to reach the mites, and they die. Could have very well used any other oily substance like petroleum jelly. This is not considered proper treatment and usually leads to recurrences.

I hope this has been of some help to some, and remember:"DON'T BE CHEAP, DO IT RIGHT, SO YOU ONLY HAVE TO DO IT ONCE!"

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2004
    AC likes this.
  2. KnOck

KnOck Big Dog

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2004
  3. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

Yeah, I read them. That's why I wrote mine. I think it might be easier to understand,more basic in nature without too much fancy vocabulary. Thanks for the comments.;)QUOTE=B.O.S. 7.4.]Good post and very informative blackbeard! Some of this stuff is covered in the Articles section but you've added a lil more that alot of our newcomers definitely need to know:

http://www.game-dog.com/forums/article.php?c=3[/QUOTE]

4. Thanks for the post---- Great Read!!!! GOOD INFO.