1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Lazy greats

Discussion in 'APBT Bloodlines' started by Yardboy, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I didn't want to high Jack another thread but I read where there was a debate about lazy workers being quitters come huntin time. Just wanted to know if there were any stories about some real good dogs who were extra hard to condition that anyone might know of.

2. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

lol that wasn't a debate that was just one dumbass's terribly narrow minded opinion. i have personally dealt with dogs that could careless for many of the tools of the trade. i have a few stories on my other computer i'll try to post later.

3. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I would love to read them. I was doing my best to be polite by using the term debate, but I did find this persons opinion to be far fetched and was hoping to learn of some examples of some superb hunters who could care less about a hide or a mill but would go all day if it had the chance to jump on a hog. I'm sure there are several and was hoping to shoot that theory down and educate myself at the same time.

4. msmn

msmn Pup

If I remember the story correctly, Gr Ch 35 wasn't really keen on doing what his owner wanted him to during conditioning work. I'm sure there's a write-up on him somewhere on this site.

5. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I just read a post about Gr. Ch. 35. Said he was hard to walk when emptying cause he went in every direction but that was all I could find. I know there had to be a few especially in the catch w8

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

One time, in a dream I once had, I watched a son of Emmitt totally pick apart a hog for an hour and thirty two minutes. Twenty Nine of those minutes were in the hogs mouth tring to break his opponents tusks out. He was going for #1w into a 2xw going for his Ch. Totally picked his opponent apart. Anyways, I guess the whole point to all that was, he was the laziest S.O.B. I ever seen in a keep, (in my dream that is) Had to almost force him to run the mill. I guess the point of that is, he sure didn't look like no cur to me and he was a very hard dog to put through a keep due to his total unwilingness to run the mills. But then I woke up:D

7. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Thanks for the post AGK. A dream like that would have me wakin up with wet shorts:D!!!! I knew there had to be some out there. To me it's like a phenomenal athlete who drags his butt on the practice field.

8. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

lol i tried to "debate" this arguement in that other thread...i know ive read about some on "Rios Pitbull Kingdom" bloodlines pages but i couldnt think of there names off the top of my head

9. benthere

benthere CH Dog Staff Member

"I didn't want to high Jack another thread but I read where there was a debate about lazy workers being quitters come huntin time. Just wanted to know if there were any stories about some real good dogs who were extra hard to condition that anyone might know of."

I agree, most lazy dogs aren't worth a pile of coon shit. in my experience the best dogs have been the best workers. if you think there is not a correlation between willingness to work and being a quality working dog you have a WHOLE lot to learn. lazy=cull.

10. benthere

"To me it's like a phenomenal athlete who drags his butt on the practice field."

who would you rather have on your team, jerry rice or terrell owens??

<!-- / message -->

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

thats not a fair. Jerry Rice is a hard worker AND a phonenial ahtlete. Just like stated on the other thread is a dog is better he is just better. Hard work helps you improve, i'll give you that but a dog can be outclassed. Just like football players who work hard and just dont have the athletic ability or natural talent of a TO. The thing that drives teams away from TO isnt his work ethic btw haha

12. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

For most dogs I'm sure there is a correlation between work in/out of the [] but some can just be stubborn and uninterested in chasing a piece of fur on a string or running in the same place but go nuts and all out when they see another mongrel. Cull a dog just because he doesn't want to work???? Come on. Seriously? Please don't cull a dog unless he proves to be a TRUE cur.

13. benthere

T.O.'s main problem is his lack of "work ethic"
    you could argue T.O. had more natural talent than Jerry Rice.
    J.R. will be remembered in the record books and the hall of fame.
    T.O. will be remembered as a man who squandered his talent.

14. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

a better comparison is would you rather have jerry rice or randy moss. talent and work ethic vs talent

of course someone would rather have a talented dog that loved to work over a talented dog that didnt really have the same ethic.

but would you take wayne cherbet over randy moss?
    one is honest, average and works very hard. the other is a phenomenal talent that outclasses the other.

15. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

Good post!!!

16. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

You also cant get a yard full of good ones if you cull everything that shows a bad sign before you give it a chance to show you a good one..YOUR just being Lazy if you dont wanna put forth enough effort to work a dog thats easily bored

17. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

I didn't say you should base a whole yard off lazy dogs I just know there have to be some out there who don't like to work but love to hunt. There's a big difference between culling and breeding.

18. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Touchdown!!!!!:D

19. Sampson1

Sampson1 CH Dog

;) yeah see i got them good genes but i also got the work ethic to make any coach proud...lol

20. benthere

"You also cant get a yard full of good ones if you cull everything that shows a bad sign before you give it a chance to show you a good one..YOUR just being Lazy if you dont wanna put forth enough effort to work a dog thats easily bored"

no, you're wrong. by breeding the right dogs from the right lines I can get a higher percentage of good dogs to begin with. then by observation I cull through my dogs keeping only the best. a lazy, no drive dog is a fault in my opinion, a cull. after years of breeding and culling I have better dogs. nothing lazy about it, its called good management.