1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Lazy ear

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by dwd58, Dec 31, 2008.

1. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

I just got the ears cropped on my 12 week old dog, we just took out the stiches . I had them cut pretty short, but he still has one ear that wont stand and it kind of lays on its side toward the other ear very badly. So much so that it looks almost like one ear is cropped alot shorter. But when you make it stand, they are exactly the same and looks like a good crop job. i know on a doberman, we used to put popsicle sticks taped along the inside of the ear for a month or so to help them stand, just wondering if this trick could be used on this one ear? Any other ideas?

2. MOOT44

MOOT44 Top Dog

I know nothing about crop jobs, but I KNOW people will want to see what the pup's ears are doing from a picture.......Can you take a quick photo (1 with the ear looking good and one w/ the ear not looking good)

I think that will help some of the people on here, help you out.

Andrew

3. ChDynomite

ChDynomite Top Dog

Go get yourself some DrScholls molefoam padding.Cut the foam to the shape of the ear but round the bottom so it cups it self in the ear canal then peel the sticker off the back and apply crazy glue to the back of the foam then stick it to the inside of the ear and after a week or two the ear should be standing. The foam will fall out every couple of days so you need to re apply glue , you can use the same foam if you like or change it out. Hope this helps you out ,it works for me . If i was good with the computer i would post some pics but ive tried before and cant figure it out.

4. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

Hey there dwd58,
    How's it going:) I had the ear crop blues not to long ago myself. I was told to massage the ear gently but firmly in an upward direction as if rubbing it to make it stand up in the position it should be. I waited till the ear started healing and wouldn't bleed.If you removed the stitches already then it will be fine. I'm not saying that this is the only or best way, just saying that it worked for me. I have heard and seen mixed results with taping. Some pups are just fine with it and other mess with it constantly. If you tape them, it may not be a bad idea to put an "elizabeth collar" on your pup. When I massage the ears on my dog I did it only for a minute or so at first frequently throughout the day and increase the duration of doing the massaging as the pup got used to me doing it. Remember even the the stitches are out he/she may be sore and pulling the ear even lightly may stretch that new skin growing over the incisions. So if the pup seems to hurt, back off a little and give lots of praise to reassure him that all is well.Last thing you want is a head shy dog. Hope it goes well and let us know how it turns out.:D

5. dwd58

dwd58 Big Dog

Thanks Dynomite, I am trying that method right now.

6. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Massaging is very helpful. It worked for me on Chinas ears.

7. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I know everyone has a different opinion but I like to make my own "sticks" for the ears. I take like 3 Q-tips and tape them together, depending on how long the ear is I may need to tape 2 sets together to make them longer. I also tape gauze on the end so they do not rub the ear raw. Then I put them all the way in the ear canal then tape them to the ear. They work great and the dogs cannot pull them out. I have used these on my last 12 dogs and it worked great! Here is a picture of that they look like. You can also use light tampons. The cardboard is already pre-made and ready to stick in the ear. If you don't start taping the ear it could always flop on the head like that. I guess it depends on how long the crop is too. Mole skin works OK unless the ear needs more stability. I do not use a e collar because it pushes on the ears. If you use good tape like elasticon it your pup cannot get it off. Make sure the ears are healed before you tape other wise you will infect them. good luck. Everyone has their way of doing it but this has worked great on my last 12 crops.

A long crop with 2 sets of Q tips tapped together or a tampon
    [​IMG]
    Here are her ears after. I had a hard time getting one to stand. It took about 3 weeks.
    [​IMG]