1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Lazy Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by blueboy08, Dec 15, 2008.

1. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

my 16month old blue pit is lazy wont play tug o war likes to lay around alot... i wanted to get him a springpole and a weighted harness for some weight training basically to help him fill out... he is about 80lbs right now and i would like some more muscle def. and advice would be appreciated

2. bohawg00

bohawg00 Big Dog

What are you feeding it?

3. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

First off you will probably get flamed for owning a blue or refering to it as a blue. Not by me but by some people on here. Is it game bred? What is the food you are feeding? We can not see it but just guessing I would think it is very overweight.

4. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

It is a Blue and his name is Blue...

5. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

IDK what "Flamed" is nor do i care... lol but anyway im not sure if he was game bred i adopted him about a 2 weeks ago from a woman whos husband just went to iraq... i feed im 3 cups of food twice a day... im finishing up the food she gave me with him but then switching to BLUE CHICKEN dog food... ive used it with my rotties and its pretty good... i run with him twice a week and and take him to a park to run around every saturday... ill post pics in a few

6. BostonBully

BostonBully Top Dog

post a pic

7. blueboy08

blueboy08 Pup

pics of BLue... I dont think hes overweight just a solid 80lbs he's all muscle...

Attached Files:

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

You've had the dog for two weeks. He's probably still missing his previous owner greatly. Give him some time to warm up to you before you expect a lot of play behavior. Some people even put their dogs through a two-week shutdown -- which from what I've gleaned is a time where the dog is kept fairly isolated -- when they first get them so that they aren't overwhelming the dog with its new environment.

My suggestion, take walks with him. That will build the bond between you two, and be healthy for him. Don't worry about how he looks right now. Build the relationship. Walking is not only great for improving relations, but it's also a good way to get a dog in shape. Some people here use hand-walking extensively in conditioning programs to make a dog fit for the show ring.

9. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

Not sure what kind of food your feeding him but 3 cups twice a day and no exercise = an out of shape dog. If you can only run him 2 times a week I would suggest looking into a treadmill and I would cut back on the food too.

Genetics is going to play a big role in your dogs physical appearance and also can have an effect on his ability to work. Sometimes what you got is all that you get,try cutting back on the food and increase the amount of exercise....only then will you know what your working with.

10. maberi

maberi Pup

I like my guys a bit on the leaner side but honestly your guy doesn't really look overweight. Dogs have varying degrees of energy levels and drive. Some dogs will go all day while others tend to enjoy the quieter things in life.

My previous dog Yoda (a rescue and my best guess is that he was a bandog - see pic below) wouldn't go near a spring pole, would play tug very little and wasn't all that interested in weight pull but would pic a fight with another dog in a blink of an eye (not something I liked). I built up his prey drive a little but honestly that just wasn't his style so we found other outlets for him (lots of hiking, some agility and lots of running). On the other hand, you can take Kayden (my new rescue) outside and shake a tree branch and he will latch on it like he is in heaven and if you hook him up to a weight pull cart he will pull all day. You can teach any dog to enjoy pulling and it is an awesome activity for building up muscle. Just keep things very positive.

[​IMG]

11. smokey024

smokey024 Big Dog

3 cups twice a day seems like alot of food, but if its crap food the dog probably needs that much. I would fallow what someone else said about building the bond with the dog and getting him on a good feed before you start trying to work him. He is still young so if you give him some time he will fill out naturally.

12. B

B CH Dog

That sounds like way too much food. He definately doesn't have definition in his photos and appears overweight. Search for "Ripped" and you should find a thread with some dogs that are at their proper weight. I consider my dog fat right now (I let him carry a few extra lbs for the winter) and he's still waaaaaaay leaner than your dog. You should be walking him a few times a day and just letting him adjust to his new home. Dogs have emotional responses as well and being in a new home might not really be easy for him right now. Walk and bond with the dog. Cut his feed a cup per feeding and see how he responds. Lastly, just give him some time to adjust before you expect a lot out of him.

Regards,

B