1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

ivomec for red mange

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mseebran, Apr 30, 2009.

1. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

Friend has dog with mange.I'm 100% sure it's mange, but he beleives it's fleas.

I mentioned ivomectin to him and he is willing to try.

I have proper dosage guidelines for liquid. My question is, can ivomectin paste be used orally for treatment of demo?And if so is the treatment schedule the same?

2. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

Its best to do a skin scraping to find out for sure what it is. But I would use the liquid ivermectin instead of the paste. I think the paste would be too hard to give an accurate amount of the ivermectin that is needed. How would you really know how much you are giving? You dont really want to just guess with medications, it needs to go by the weight of the dog.

3. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

thanx S D.there are several threads about proper use dosage/lb, I was curious about the paste bevause I didn't see it mentioned for demo treatment.
    I advised a drastic diet change.She is 7 and first time the demo has manifested.I think it is the age in relation to the immune sytem.

4. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

I agree use the liquid it's easier to dose. Depends on how much the dog weighs. I use 1 cc for a 40-50lbs dog. 2 x a week. Ivermectin 1% is pretty safe for APBT's, it's collie breeds you can't use it on. I personally would save the vet bill and treat for mange but consulting a vet if your not sure is always a good idea. It's easy to see if it is fleas. If you don't see fleas or flea dirt (looks like black dirt under the hair) it's not fleas. Hair loss with mange will usually be on cheeks, around eyes, chest, or sometimes the side close to the belly.

5. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

It may be something else 7 is not that old and usually you do not see it in an older dog. Unless the dog already has health issues.

6. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

It is unusual for an older dog to get red mange. Maybe it is just a bacterial skin infection or possibly some other underlying health problem is exacerbating the skin problem. But try switching the diet to raw too, it can only help.

7. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

I agree, I would just pay the bill on this one and take it to the vet...sometimes if your not 100% its just better...

8. mseebran

mseebran Big Dog

thanx for the replies, I have passed on all the info.My first suggestion to him was the vet, but he is the type that would rather save the bill and try to cure on his own first.I checked her today, no fleas at all.I put some nustock on her.

9. Rocko

Rocko Big Dog

well I hope the best of luck to your friend and his pup, let us know what happens.

10. =^^=GYPSYKITTIN

=^^=GYPSYKITTIN Big Dog

I have been using Ivomec horse dewormers in my bulldogs and thier pups for almost 20 years now. I use a horse dewormer that contains Ivomec for heartworm, and broad spectrum deworming regularly and have had no side affects at all in any of my dogs. However You CANNOT USE IT FOR ANY COLLIE, ASTRAILIAN SHEPHERD, SHELTIE, BORDER COLLIES, QNSLD HEELERS OR ANY LIKEWISE MIXED BREED DOGS!
    I only put a dot of a smear of the paste on the dogs tongue and have in the past with a squirming bulldog pup give the dose for a 250lb horse accidentaly with no ill side affects I DO NOT SUGGEST YOU DO SO ON YOUR OWN WITHOUT CAUTION THOUGH!
    I also use tapecare plus horse dewormer in the same dosage for pups and as a routine dewormer. Tapecare plus is a PYRANTEL PAMOATE PASTE that has given me excellent results for years on end.
    the Ivomec paste will treat the symptoms of red mange effectively if administered 2x's a week yet all dogs carry the red mange mite . However those who show symptoms of the mites effects should not be bred since that indicates a genetic weaknes and will pass on to offspring if bred.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  11. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

Ok first take the dog to a Vet to verify that it is Demodex. I have seen flea allergies so bad that it resembles Demodex. My uncle's dog including. I took him to work did 4 scrapings and found no mites. 3 months of consistent flea prevention his dog looked perfect. Also it depends on the dog some dogs with severe flea allergy all it takes is one flea to bite and it starts it.

Side note there are 2 types of mange. Sarcoptic and Demodex. Demodex is commonly called Red mange. To treat Demodex it is a daily dose of liquid 1% Ivermectin. Not twice a week. And ou MUST be careful on the amount you are giving. I have seen Ivermectin toxicity. And it is not pretty