1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

is this situation curable

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Jacob, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ll ask ed's new wife....

2. olddog

olddog Big Dog

I decided when my dogs started to play and when they stopped. I decided when their training began and when it stopped. I decided when they had enough in any given situation at any given time. If they acted aggressive towards any person they dealt w/ me, and the outcome was as severe as it needed to be. AND I ALWAYS WON! OR THEY LOST! When your dog bites someone because they think they can get away with it YOU are to blame and should be punished - not them! If they are born a man bitter or human aggressive please be aware that you are responsible for their actions - I always put them down!

Olddog

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

One of the people I had train one of my dogs years ago only owned APBT's and preferred to work with that breed over any other. While I agree to an extent the pack mentality with other dogs has been mostly bred out it is still there in the way your dog views you. I agree about what you said in your last 3 comments of your post, however, by letting a dog like that win over you is only reinforcing the behavior of the dogs dominance over it's owner and I don't give a fuck what breed of dog it is. That is Pack mentality. The dog does not view him as Alpha which is why it reacts the way it does when they play TOW. People can think whatever but I speak on what I have seen with my own 2 eyes over the years and this is how I look at it.

I personally witness pack mentality every day with these two and both are from a yard I assure you, you would not want to be across from. These are not backyard bred dogs, not cur bred, they come from a long line of proven, well respected hounds and yet I watch how they interact with each other every day for the last 4 years. They display pack mentality daily. These are not the only 2 I have been able to do this with either but I will say, It's not very common and I have never been able to do it for longer than a year and a half with any other dogs I have ever owned and those 2 will only act that way with each other, no others.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2014
  4. AGK

My bad for it looking like I have edited your posts LWG & Sai. I didn't edit anything you posted, instead of quoting your post I was typing my comment to you in your post by accident. Neither of your posts were edited in any way.

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i believe dogs can be together too in a controlled situation...hell my 2 yr old runs the yard with my pup while supervised.....but i feel thats more or less toleration of each others company instead of a pack mentality.....

6. AGK

I don't have them together periodically they spend 24/7 together, They have free run of the house even when I am not here unless they are in heat, while I don't recommend doing it, I know my dogs and don't worry about them getting into it (just with those 2 though). Been like that for 4 years. Maybe because they are Mother/daughter I really don't know.

Geach is dominate over Mia and mia is submissive to Geach that is the hierarchy of their pack IMO. I get what your saying but these 2 do more than just tolerate each other.

7. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

It doesnt matter if they are mother or daughter, once the submissive dog decides not to be submissive any longer towards the dominant dog then you WILL have a accident on your hands.

8. olddog

olddog Big Dog

I met Pete Sparks many years ago and he said you only need to remember two things about bulldogs :
    1. Never trust a pit bull not to fight !
    2. Never trust a pit bull not to fight !
    He told me that if I remembered that and always carried a breaking stick I'd probably do OK ! Well, I always remembered #'s 1 & 2, but I did mess up on that breaking stick a couple of times !!!

Olddog

9. AGK

You confident enough to put money on that statement? I'm sure we will both still be members here in a couple years after Mia has passed ( she is getting up there in age). I never gamble, don't like taking risks very much but that is a bet I would take and put a hell of a lot of money towards. lol
    I don't recommend ever leaving 2 together like that but I know those 2 dogs very well and have no problem taking your money lol

Im not going to deny the fact that typically your statement is 100% true with most, have had a few accidents over the years raising dogs this way, never between them 2, their too busy grooming each other all day. The last time I had an incident was when the daughter in that picture fired up on my Charlie dog and Charlie turned on, got his ass handed to him, I got bit real good in all that too and it was the last time I will even bother with trying to keep 2 together co-existing but those 2 in the picture I posted I would have to say with 100% confidence, Aint gonna happen. I will be the first to come back on here and admit you were right and I was wrong if i am ever wrong about those 2 but I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for that post lol ;)

I'm not new to doing this, I have tried my luck attempting to get 2 dogs to co-exist since 97... I aint pulling this shit of the internet, it's over 15 years OF DOING IT... lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  10. ShakaZ

ShakaZ CH Dog

Put a bullet in that man biting SOB and get a lab.

11. _braddy_

_braddy_ Pup

Lol.....cold..

12. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Basically there is nothing to bet, I am not saying 2 dogs cant never ever live together peacefully , what I am saying is WHY RISK IT? Even in Russian Roulette with 4 bullets in the chamber one can still get lucky BUT why even risk it in the first place its NOT worth it but to each his own AGK in this type of situation I would hate to say "I TOLD YOU SO".

13. Jhofer929

Jhofer929 Pup

He has to respect you as the alpha. He see's himself as superior and you have to break that

14. Jhofer929

Jhofer929 Pup

It happened to me. I have a sharpei mix and brought a male pit intomy home. My male pit was submissive until he hit about two. They stared out just getting into it when I worked them out or other dogs provoked them outside the fence, then they'd fight. Now since I moved into my new house my male pitbull will not tolerate him at all. if he sees him, he wants to kill him. Im out of answers with these two. I just keep one in the bed room while the other runs the house, then switch em. On that note, any advice I could use it

15. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...i have some advice for ya......just wait untill one off them learns how to open the door by jumping up on the handle......and it will.........so make sure ya lock em.....

16. bukskin.banks

bukskin.banks Big Dog

I've had a few situations this is what i've done. I have a breaking stick in the house, truck etc. If he dont drop it i'll break him off it and he immediatly wants to go after it again, he is crazy. I'll let him get it, and try the drop command again, then break him until he drops it himself then praise him etc. But seems like i have to break him off a lot cause his drive is insane. He knows what drop it means but he just doesnt want to (on going process, maybe he'll calm down more with age). A couple times he has nipped at me or my hand/wrist when i wont let him for instance try to go hump my girl. And I had taken his legs and put him on his back till he calmed down. He tried that when he was younger, never happened again. Gotta nip that in the bud right then and there. Another thing i've done, when he was a puppy 4weeks to 4 months id pet him as he eats and tell him good boy and even give him kisses and have never had a problem with food with him. There was some good advice someone gave on here, and it had something to do with feeding out of your hand then building up to the bowl or somethin, keep looking lots of good advice, just thought id share my stuff and how it worked. best of luck to ya...let us know the progress

17. bugatti

bugatti Pup

thank you for posting this thread

18. Forever-So REAL

Forever-So REAL Quintuple Grand Champion

Didn't read all the post with that being said the answer to is this situation curable Yes! Tell the dog get a new owner and let me know what he says lol.....I just don't understand why everyone wants this breed and don't know how to care for them

19. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Big Dog

This is a learned behavior that will be hard to fix for an inexperienced handler/trainer. You are the boss and it really needs to be taught at a young age. Very difficult to change that behavior in these hard headed dogs

20. Dannyb

Dannyb Big Dog

In this particular situation I completely agree with AGK. Of course you want your dog to be dominant and confident of itself but you NEVER want your dog to show dominance or aggression toward YOU. You have to shut that down as hard and fast as possible or else that will likely escalate. Bulldogs need to know who is boss or else they are the boss. They have a pack mentality bred into them but another dog (or "dog pack") is not part of that equation. You're either top or bottom in the relationship. And some dogs are extremely dominant and tough willed and they'll test you.

To the OP. Letting friends play around with something like tug of war and them obviously being losers was a bad choice on your part. The dog didn't bite anyone yet but pretty much is getting the impression that the human race is weak and might need to back off when it's done playing with you. If it was a real man biter, it would have done it already IMO. It took a girlfriend of mine 2 years to even get close to one of my males without him trying to aggressively have intercourse with her leg. Only when I was there would he mind his manners but she eventually got the hang of not letting him dominate her. When he was younger I had to hose off a basketball everyday cause it was covered in semen. He "loved" that ball. The point is, if I let THAT dog come up the wrong way or didn't show him I was all business he would have been a real problem.