1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

is this situation curable

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Jacob, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

if my dog is in a tug of war competion with my buddies the whole time hes growling loud and refuses to let me come near him with the breaking stick then when he wins (most of the time ) he wont let anyone have the rope for awhile he does ahave a food aggression problem too im working on (i am hand feeding) other than that he is super smart and a good dog.

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

It's because you let him win. Never let the dog win over you. You start it, you end it.

3. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...was this dog full grown when you got him..??????...if it was a pup when you got it,you should never have let this start in the first place...when the dog growl's with the rope,are you afraid to take it from..??????if he knows your afraid,,he will work that+walk all over ya,,so have confidence when takeing any-thing off him...as above you all-ways stay on top.....be it with any dog from a jack russel to st,bernard.......

4. ursaminor

ursaminor Top Dog

my dog growls when i play thug, just being vocal but she'll let go the instant I say "drop it"

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LMAO are you serious??? So if you DONT let the dog win , is it going to change him? LMAO

6. devonte151

devonte151 Fast Lane Bulldogs

Most dogs on spring poles and flirt poleswill growl tell him
    drop if not put breakstick in mouth pull the collar .Food should have started him when he was young i can get all in my dogs food with out him trying bite my face off.Maybe make him sit and wait for it.

7. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

...growling during play is normal,,,but growling at you to let ya know stay away from the ball/rope/etc/etc/what ever ya were playing with is a dominant game that the dog will use to see who is in charge...and if people can't tell the difference,,then they have a problem....???????????

8. bootsbjj

bootsbjj Banned

What do you mean "he refuses" and "he won't let"? Have you ever grabbed the rope anyway? Is he just running away, or standing there growling? Showing teeth? Has he ever snapped at you or bit you?

Like others said, he might just be playing the whole time. Only you can tell, but figure it out quick before he bites one of your friends....

9. dog666

dog666 Pup

well said, it's a mental game and you should never let the dog get the best of you.
    I don't care how my dog would react to other dogs around while doing so but hell i'm the boss and he wil act normal with me, if they don't it's a quick smack to the ass to remind them who is in charge.

The same with the food agresion, the dog gets it's food from me so act right and you wil get your feed.
    Think most problems like that occur when they are pups and a person should nipp it in the butt right away.

10. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

thanks all i will do evrything to fix it but if i get bit i think it might be nap time damn shame he is well bred but dont mean much if he is a biter. can i have lots of examples of manbiters. never had to deal with somthing like this

11. BLUE8BULL

BLUE8BULL CH Dog

..so your going to.... P.t.s.....this dog..why..???how long have you had him..??..if you can't handle him, why not?? Give him to some-body that can..??.if he is aggresive at everybody,, then do it before a disaster happens...if you had this dog since a pup and let this develop,,then don't get another dog un-less your going to put the time in.....???????????????????????....don't want to pick on ya...but these problems can happen to any-body that don't have the time to put in cause of work/family/etc/etc....in saying this it may-be something that can be sorted out very quickly....??????????????????

12. Jacob

Jacob Top Dog

i am talking shit about the dirt nap. i have yet to turn on any stiuation in my life that i just turn and walk away. the kerry bule terrier cannot be taken awawy from the mother at mimum 12 weeks or it turns out mentally damaged. Maybe this pup was taken away to early maybe this maybe that i will try to get to the bottom of it but lines of gamedogs the are natural manbiters should not br bred regardless of any other good traits they might possess i want to make sure this is not the case here as human saftey is always before anything. how do you the sound of that.

13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Im gonna have to agree with saiy....that sounds like some pets mart training pitch! Lol I let my pups win and praise to build confidence....

14. Staub

Staub Big Dog

I agree my dog and I go back and forth, but the more effort she puts in the more I praise her.

15. AGK

It's training 101. Whether it's a Petsmart employee telling you it or a professional dog trainer. Tug of war is a power struggle game and I would never let my dog or dogs win over me at anything. While I agree that the majority of these dogs when bred right will not live in a pack per say with other dogs they still view you as a pack member and are you the Alpha or are you your dogs subordinate?

Whether either of you 2 believe that or not is irrelevant as it is proven fact that has been researched for decades by people much smarter than either of the 3 of us lol.

16. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

Proven facts researched for decades by experts in the APBT field?.,,WHO ARE THESE EXPERTS?????? LMAOROTF

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  17. AGK

I have read some literature though that says letting a dog that lacks confidence win to help build their confidence. I'm not talking about them kinds I am talking about dogs who have more confidence then they know what to do with, which is how most of my dogs over the years have been. Never owned one that lacked confidence just like eric cartman says though, " They will respect my authority! :lol:

I don't play a whole lot of tug of war with them anyways since they have a spring pole which simulates the same thing much better than I can since I tire before they do but that big ass spring don't get tired.

I have had 2 man biters that if you let them win anything they would challenge you when you try to get it back. I'll put a fucking bullet in a dog that will test my being alpha. When I say test me I am talking about a dog that when you go to try to get whatever they got from you back, will stand their ground with you and if you get to close will protect what it has ( because they do not view you as an alpha to them). Them types don't last too long here. They are to big of a liability in my opinion to deal with that and it don't matter what they have shown me....

18. AGK

Yea those guys, No smart guy, the people who research and study dog behavior for a living.... You added the APBT field I never said that lol but I am talking about dog training and dog behavior. A dog is a dog is a dog regardless of breed we just manipulate what they specialize at with breeding practices. With the exception of the Gameness trait, your APBT aint no different than any other breed of domesticated dog when it comes to training and behavior.

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

them folks that wrote that literature dont have bulldogs. these dogs "pack mentality" as you say has (or should have) been bred out of these dogs a long time ago....
    with sheperds,hounds,huskies..ect, ok...ill buy it..... but with bulldogs i believe its different. no pack mentality.. instead theres just dog & human...hes one, im the other.....if the dog sees him as an equal well....then he needs to put the fucker down.....or keep it....his call really...lol

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
  20. AGK

The more I look into this the more I seem to find mixed results on the subject. I come across one report stating my view and then I come across one stating Sai and LWG's point of view. I am only looking through studies done by behaviorists and It seems to be 50/50 on the subject. I have had 2 dogs professionally trained ( i'm not talking petsmart either I'm talking about people who train dogs for various sports) One of those 2 dogs, I had trained by 2 separate trainers who specialized in different principles and All 3 told me never to let my dog win over me. I'm going to actually look more into it a litter deeper just to see what I can find. I don't train my dogs anymore other than basic OB since the only 2 things I want them to do is come when I call them and get em..... Things do change and I haven't had a dog trained professionally in over 10 years so I won't admit I am wrong just yet until I look deeper into it to see what I can come up with. I'll even post what I find because I'm cool like that...