1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Is my dog a American Pit Bull terrier OR Amstaff??

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by broctonbully, May 9, 2009.

1. I was walking my dog today and somebody told me he was a staffshire terrier i know he probably meant amstaff i always thought my dog was apbt,but i was never sure. He's shows dog aggression depending on the sex he doesnt try to kill little dogs poodles and such he pays them no mind even tho i keep him on the lead but when i compare him to other pitbulls he is usally smaller even tho where i live bigger is better and blue nose pits are the (best) so im not sure if he is pitbull or not there are so many shapes and sizes Maybe some of the experts on this site can help me out,my dog has no papers and was brought from a rough area in NYC he was already rolling when i got him but i doubt they new what they were doing. Cause if it looks like a pitbull people will fight it hell they even fight rottweilers,I would like some knowledgeable opinions from people on this site if my dog meets the APBT standard thank you[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009
  2. KuyaJames33

KuyaJames33 Big Dog

u'll never really know if he is pure APBT or amstaff without a ped, he is a good looking dog tho, he could be either or a mixture of both.

3. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

you spelled brockton wrong lol ?

4. lol im from ny brocton's the name of my of housing apartment

5. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

That’s a Pit bull terrier ok - APBT Am staff visual might as well be the same
    In looks any way, small size for me leans towards APBT and that dog looks like a classic dog from the 1920s 1930s lets give the dog some credit
    Consider the fact dog has been through something and he’s still alive how bad could he be lets for once not say about not really knowing with out peds lets give this dog a good word he’s a APBT don’t put this dog down in any way

6. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

IMO he leans more on the AMSTAFF side ... He's a good looking brindle good job on rescuing him. :) You obviously know already without a pedigree you cannot determine how he was bred. But Looking at these photo's I would say he appears to have more Amstaff blood in him.

7. Thanks for the input i always thought he looks classic ol scool apbt from pics i seen
    but his size compared to some other dogs considered apbt is small he weighs 44 pounds when conditioned and is about 21 inches give or take a inch he is shredded the brindle just hides it i have seen his father when i brought him he was lets say a working dog with definte battle scars and one tough lookin son of a gun but he was a bit bigger then my dog so idk i never seen the mother. there's already dual opions would he fit the adba standard of the APBT tho ??cause i would like to bring him to shows he always get compliments i just dont want to look dumb lol

8. short1

short1 Big Dog

PIT#5 "lets for once not say about not really knowing with out peds lets give this dog a good word he’s a APBT don’t put this dog down in any way" :eek:
    IM not gonna say anything bad about the dog but IM NOT GONNA SAY THATS AN A.P.B.T how could I when you dont know the ped on the dog or even know anything about the dogs ancestry

9. im not asking if hes a APBT in the sense of a gamedog which i know is kind a enigmatic contradiction in the true sense of what a real apbt is but we all know peds dont make the dog even tho they tell you what he is and theres only one way to find out but im trying to stray from that convo all together cause it just causes more confusion .

i just want to know if hes correct to standard of adba or one of the better bulldog associations since variations and opions vary so much it kinda sucks he has no ped

10. RosewoodAPBT

RosewoodAPBT Big Dog

It's kinda hard to tell if a dog fits a standard just by looking at photos. Pics can be deceiving. Maybe you could go to a show and have an experienced dog person look at him and tell you their opinion...

11. thats what imma do i guess so damm hard to tell with these dogs nowadays i see so many and rarely do any have a distinct look that sets it apart as a APBT thanks for everyones input

12. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

LOL IDT the adba even had standards any more.

13. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

44 lbs is a very average size for a APBT, and kinda on the smaller side for an amstaff, without the pedigree you'll never know. Does it really matter to you though it's just your pet isn't it?

14. masta of game

masta of game Banned

well , is he a PIT bull, only u can tell us. lol

15. pit#5

pit#5 Banned

I was looking at some peds and it occurs to me that when you come down to it most APBTs if you go back far enough seem to stem from the same give or take dogs, Great Great Great and so on parents , with that in mind Broctonbullys dog is no different really than any APBT cause they are all from the same stock, now this dog may be from generations of non game tested dogs or not or may be a little other dog was mixed in and blended in. When I see this dog I see Pit Bull terrier and to me a Pit Bull Terrier is what we all have come to love and respect, the APBT, it’s a sad commentary that a dog based on fighting genetics and other game quality’s has to have people hold a light to them and say “IM NOT GONNA SAY THATS AN A.P.B.T how could I when you don’t know the ped on the dog or even know anything about the dogs ancestry “ Our dogs are here due to performance not looks and if a dog could back up the peds fine . The Bedlington Terrier Kerry Blue White English type terriers may have found there way into the butcher dogs to ultimately create a dog that was Dead Game <O:p</O:p
    Dog fighting is illegal but if Broctonbullys dog was hypothetically Dead Game then peds or the worry of a mix would be no issue he’d be the s**t<O:p</O:p

16. short1

short1 Big Dog

if he was dead game then nothing would matter because he would be of no worth he would be dead lol

17. alpay

alpay Big Dog

i think your dog is amstff:cool:

18. ColbyDogs

ColbyDogs Top Dog

As for what the dog truely is as mentioned without a ped it is hard to ever know. With that said the chances of the dog having APBT blood is very high, AST and SBT are not commonly owned dogs and there would be less likelyhood of thier blood just randomly popping up in the average owned dog. If we play the numbers game the dog in the photo's would more than likely be that of an APBT breeding, as to how much APBT is in the dog we will never know but odds are stacked in favor of the dog being that of an APBT breeding seeing how they are more commonly owned and bred than AST & SBT's.

19. KeystoneState

KeystoneState Big Dog

They gave him ecstasy?!:eek::D

20. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

Without a ped it's impossible to know how your dogs bred.But like ColbyDogs said chances are pretty good that it's got APBT blood in it,what % you'll never know.There's a fair chance it's got staff in it as well.Just can't tell with out a ped.Sometimes you can't tell with one LOL but it would at least give you a better idea.