1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Interview with Carmen Corvino by D.M. Norrod.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by C2K, May 18, 2012.

1. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

ok, can't wait to check that interview...my sources ARE realiable but maybe you're right ;)

2. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

I know they tried to get some dogs in the 80's from the Norrod's...

3. Archangel

Archangel Pup

No they didn't. From what I understand they always could since the day they met in the 70's.
    BTW as for Joe's kids and not being into the dogs. Who owned Aldair's (sp) Timmie? :)

4. Archangel

Archangel Pup

Also when Howard Heinzl left Chicago to move to AZ., Howard stole Corvino's Blackie from Joe JR. who was out conditioning the dog. Howard dropped the dog at Earl Tudors place.

5. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

"Joe had 9 children, 4 boys and 5 girls, but not one of his kids liked the dogs because he forced them to take care of them, like cleaning the kennels and stuff like that" (Sonny Sykes).

As far as conditioning goes, well...Joe's kids where conditioning for WHAT? Joe was a breeder and he never showed ANY dogs...but maybe you're more informed than me soooo....

6. Archangel

Archangel Pup

In fact he had 10 kids 1 died young who was a twin. Your information is wrong. Everyone in the Chicago area knew the "old Jim Wilson" clean the stables and the kennels. Joe didn't show any dogs? You need to read Pit Dogs the way we like them, aka Your Friend and Mine. Joe matched dogs as well as showed them in AKC shows. How many of those kids did you personally know or the person in the know, suppose to know. BTW I still haven't seen an answer to the question of who owned Timmy and their connection to Joe Corvino? BTW who sold Rudy to Woodtic Kennels? Who owned Corvino's Beauty? Who matched Braddock? Who matched Teddy? The questions I understand will be answered in the interview. Not every thing is or should been in SDJ which stated in 1972 and ended in 2005. Joe died in 1963. Longest advertiser in SDJ history was Bert Sorrells and then D.M. Norrod!

7. I actually find the current conversation a good one. If articles are going to be published sources should be checked and reliable. Carry on with the conversation but keep responses respectful.

Thanks

8. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

Well, I have all the old Pit Dogs and YF&M's and never read about Corvino handling a dog...

9. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

Look forward to reading this when it is released.

10. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

I personally find this a bit ridicules to make a claim Joe Corvino never matched a dog and then some one says they have all the copies and issues or they would know about the famous Smiling Jack and Corvino's Thunder match.

If this is truly the other SDJ, simply contact Jack because he has saw Joe match a dog.
    Handling or matching?
    Remember, he was a blacksmith, he surly could handle a dog when he was well.
    Don't get confuse, he handled many dogs, don't get sold on the BS he didn't. At the end when he traveled he would take along a gofer to do his handling because Joe was dieing from a long term illness which finally took his life.
    If you have all the issues, you seen the issue with him on the cover right after he died in 1963.

This is the purpose of this interview, to dispel all the BS by others who were only around Joe for only a few years.
    Joe Corvino was in dogs since the 1930's.

I know what Mrs. Corvino told me in her home, I know what Joe's oldest son Tony told me, I know what others who personally knew Joe and done dogs and business with him have stated. Now if some one who lived close to 60 years 2 hours outside of Chicago can get more information or has been in these dogs and known the family or had better access please speak up.

The purpose of this interview, the rest of the family is tried of all the misinformation which has been told by others who never really knew what they were talking about.
    If only a few people are talking then people are lead to believe it is the truth.

Don't be fooled by others, these others who have made statements, interviews, ect. all know I have known the Corvino family, Joe's wife, children and grand children. They have known I always knew the truth, I went there found the truth about all the dogmen from Chicago area.
    Oh and yes, I did meet Joe when is was very young kid with my father and my brother Dan.

11. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Well cuz, since no else has the answers or willing to step up and let it be known what they know, I will.
    Why wait for the interview, it has been common knowledge for years.

"Everyone in the Chicago area knew the "old Jim Wilson" clean the stables and the kennels"

To dispute this is ridiculous, everyone in the area knew this, when Joe died old black man Jim Wilson was the only person who was given dogs.
    Don't get confused, there was 2 Jim Wilsons. The younger one just died a few years ago.

"BTW I still haven't seen an answer to the question of who owned Timmy and their connection to Joe Corvino?"

Timmie was owned by Joe Corvino's daughter.
    In fact she owned 2 dogs named Timmy.

"BTW who sold Rudy to Woodtic Kennels?"

Donny- Joe's grandson who still has dogs.
    Oh BTW Donny will be included in this interview.
    Who is Donny? Donny and his sister are in a picture with Dick Stratton, Dan & I with Carmen in the old Gazettes. Dick is holding our dog Bumble Bea.

"Who owned Corvino's Beauty?"

Carmen Corvino owned her, gift from his grand father when she was a pup. Carmen and his grand mother was breeding stock from her until 1975.

"Who matched Braddock?"

Joe Corvino matched Braddock in his last few fights after getting him from George Armitage.

"Who matched Teddy?"

Joe had matched him a couple of times and retired him to stud.
    Sonny bought & took Teddy out at the age of 8 years old and matched him into Al Offer's Tuffy where he won again and died after the fight. Tuffy was a 2xw winner and son of Red Devil, litter mate to Creed's Duke & Creed's Blondy (first one).
    Teddy/Tuffy match is in Jan./Feb. 1964 issue of Your Friend and Mine.

Here is what everyone needs to understand about this interview, no one and I mean NO ONE knew Joe better then his family!

12. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

Mike, I'll sure give old Jack a call. I'll check those old mags too right now...the one thing I don't understand is WHY Sonny Sykes would lie about Joe's kids and grandkids? Can you give me even one reason?

13. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

By the way Mike, check out the December 1953 issue of Pit Dogs! Pete Sparks wrote: "Joe Corvino doesn't fight his dogs. Neither does he show his dogs. Joe raises them, people buy them..." Just tell me the mag's name and issue where can I find an account of a show where Joe is handling or conditioned a dog! I'm not telling it's a lie, I'm just curious!

14. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

Oh, yeah, I have the 1963 March April issue, so what? 1963 January February also features Joe on the cover ;)

15. SDJ2010

SDJ2010 Big Dog

What does this have to do with Joe Corvino?

16. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Why? Sonny felt he should inherited the dogs after Joe died and he didn't get 1 of his dogs. Only old Jim Wilson did, Sonny had to buy any thing he got. Sonny's relationship with the Corvino's family will be address in the interview. Carmen has read it, wasn't to much happy with it.
    As I wrote before, some those so called interviews weren't done my Sonny as i.e. of the one in Sporting Dog Journal where Sonny claimed Cassius Clay was found running the streets. Sonny knew I knew this was BS. I saw the dog and watch him hunt. I knew Lewis Baker. On this forum my old friend Nightmare is a member and who will also tell you his friend Coonie was the owner of Cassius Clay sire and his dog named Duke and was the dog the kid who sold the dog claimed to Coonie he found Duke running the streets.
    When in truth the kid stole the dog from a guy Joe had the dog farmed out too.
    Pat Bodzainowski and Lewis Baker knew who the dog was and bred Creed's Maggie to Duke to get Cassius Clay.

Sonny knew this, he owned the papers of a breeding that never took place of Teddy/Goldie (his daughter). I never seen a dog produced dogs 5 to 6 years later after they were dead. (Cassius Clay, Crazy Mary, Burk's Brenda Mae, ect.) They didn't do frozen semen in the late 60's and early 70's on dogs!

Also that interview wasn't by Sonny but by his kennel boy Joe Muskalino aka Joe King who just wanted to start BS between everyone. Sonny found out the truth of Joe later on when some dogs disappeared.
    Next issue Pat address Sonny's interview and signed it Tattoo Ted but some reason this is never address about the misinformation of the interview.
    Now why has so many others claim this interview isn't accurate?

BTW did you even meet Sonny or had been to his home or had done things with him?
    I knew Sonny. since the late 60's and early 70's. There was bitterness because of not getting any of the dogs. I knew Pat, Sonny, Dick Bell, Lewis Baker, Chuck Skyler, Frank Creed, Norm Geltz, Mike Ferris, and the rest long before they were busted in 1974.
    I was one of the first people Sonny called in the early 80's wanting to get dogs when he wanted back in, at the time I was also dealing with Indian Sonny.

It appears very few truly knew Sonny or they wouldn't take his word as gospel.

17. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

And this from a person, who BTW didn't own Pit Dogs magazine in 1953, H.Q. Kennedy did, gave the Hunky dog some one to be matched in Cuba and never matched a dog in his life. BTW did you know Pete? Pete was not a sporting dogman. Yes, I knew Pete and the last time I saw him was in Starks FL. where I took pictures of Dan and him together. Pete gave Dan a bunch of books with his name on them as I post on my billboard in the library.

I named a few already Joe matched like the well known match of Smiling Jack and Thunder, btw, I have the picture of Thunder which appear above Joe's desk.
    I also address the matching of Braddock. When do you think Pete got started in dogs?
    When do you think all the dogs bred down from Shorty and Gimp got AKC registered? In the late 30's long before Pete came around. Read Tacoma pedigrees and Charlie Doyle pedigrees. Joe did show dogs and matched them.

Here is one for you, since the grand kids didn't own or the Corvino dogs were never showed, in the picture with Tony, Me, Dan and Carmen with the dog Bugsy, He was a pure Corvino AKC registered dog that had been showed. Owned by Carmen.
    Joe didn't report matches because Pit Dogs didn't start until the early 1950's in the south west.
    Did you think Corvino's Bouncer aka Hubbard's Bounce the sire of Dibo and Turhan's Rascal was never matched?
    If you can't find what you are looking for in those magazines, try reading some of the old books about the breed, as I have...
    Pumping this well is about over until the interview.

18. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

Really? duh, lol both are very well known to place in both their adds using the Corvino bloodline!

19. I don't believe for one second that Corvino didn't do his dogs, nor do I believe for one second that Sparks didn't do his. It will be great to read the interview and get a better idea of it all.

If you don't mind,, where did Ed Ritcheson fit in all this?

20. Iron Mike

Iron Mike CH Dog

ahhhhhhh Pete has admitted to it many times in writing he didn't match dogs.
    Ed actually owned Bambi at the time of the breeding.
    Wiz Hubbard had Bounce at the time.
    Bambi to Bounce was Niece to Great Uncle breeding.