1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

igloo dog house

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by csotelo9388, Mar 5, 2010.

1. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

i am looking to buy an igloo dog house,but dnt no what size wuld b best for a 40-50lb dog.the mediums looks a bit small but the large look too big.what do u all suggest

2. ohpitbulls

ohpitbulls CH Dog

the medium ones work great with my old male he is 54lbs tall & linky lol

3. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

really?then a med. shuld workout great for a 40-50lb bulldog.thnx

4. Flipside

Flipside CH Dog

We use to get the mediums but them igloo doghouses are worthless up here in the north....only plywood up here with insulation can cut it!

YIS

5. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I don't know if they still make them the same, but the one we had years ago had vents on the BOTTOM, I'm assuming as ''drainage'' but all it really did was work as a spot for the blankets, hay or whatever we were using in the dog house to soak up all the moisture from outside and turn their bedding into a wet mess. :mad:

6. wisconsingame

wisconsingame Big Dog

u r better off making ur own dog house those igloo houses r garbag

7. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

we always made our own too, but i got one of the super expensive ones for my GSD and i havent had any problems with it.. then again i would never have paid the price it was being sold for.. i got mine cheap cheap cheap.

8. Super Sport

Super Sport Big Dog

I made two of these for the cost of one igloo, with all new materials but of course doesn't include time. They are all metal, I am down south so no need for insulation and the tops remove for cleaning. My dogs would have a igloo destroyed in a week.

Attached Files:

9. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

I guess it depends on your location. I'm in Cali and my buddy uses it and it works fine, sturdy too. Stuff the thing up with straw and your good to go. The only problems with it is the entrance, it's kinda huge, but you can add a flap or whatever to help with the wind. I would also have it above ground a little, maybe on a pallet, cause there are vents at the bottom like stated earlier. Again, IDK how it would hold up in harsh weather conditions, but I do know it holds up through some rainy weather here in the west.

Csotelo, i'd go with the medium one. Good luck!

10. csotelo9388

csotelo9388 Big Dog

thanx marshall619.i was thnkn of a pallet too.the weather here in el paso is a bit crazy but not as hot as arizona,n not as cold as up east.it does get pretty windy though...super sport thatis nice ass dog house gud work i like that

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

do ur dogs not chew up the igloos?
    just curious, never had one but i assumed they would

12. 805tony

805tony Big Dog

Try and find a used one before you buy a new one. You can find them really cheap, if you don't like it your not out the full price. The one's with the tunnell entry dont need to be modified the design cuts the wind ok and it has a lip that holds the straw pretty good the standard model big door type are garbage.. good luck

13. Rebs

Rebs Banned

why not just make a plywood A frame dog house it would cost pennies compared to a plastc igloo.

14. cutt

cutt CH Dog

very nice ..

15. CTG

CTG Big Dog

my suggestion would be to make 1 yourself. those igloos are garbage. the entrance is entirely too big and if you add a flap you put your dogs health at risk if your dog eats it up. there are lots of good plans so you can do it yourself. you can even have lowes cut the wood for you.

Dog House Plans - Pit Bull Forums

16. GI Joe

GI Joe Big Dog

i make dog houses out of plastic barrels and sell them if you are in a warmer climate and all you need is shelter from the sun and rain they work great because they don't rott away with moisture and don't have to worry about insects and is easy to clean and alot cheaper. i sell them for $35 and make a decent profit and if you need more than one you do the math.your time and you save some money.

17. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I'd love a couple barrel ones here. It pisses rain eight months out of the year so they'd be perfect. No seams and weird vents like the store bought plastic ones. ;)

18. Belcher256

Belcher256 Big Dog

Ive used igloos never had a problem with them getting torn up, but if you build your own I suggest you use a metal frame.

19. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

http://source-www.petco.com/assets/product_images/0/029695259425B.jpg

Yes, I would also look for a used one, cause they can be a bit pricey. This is the igloo type i'm talking about. I still think the opening is too large. So depending on how cold or windy it gets you can improvise and add something to the entrance to help with the draft. Yes it does hold in the straw pretty well.

20. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

They hold up hold up pretty well. The entrace part usually gets the most damage. I've seen someone here add some chain around the entrance to prevent it, creative if u ask me. I'll see if I can find the pics.