1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

I think they are too much...

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by GAowner, Dec 26, 2006.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Well looks like we are not responsible enough to own these dogs. sorry. We had an incident a couple months ago and I told my family we can not leave the dogs out unsupervised. well i spend most of time away from home and they just let them out unsupervised. so there was a second incident

The first dog is a male APBT. hes about 4 years old, red, and about 75 pounds. i was told he was pure bred and had papers but never got them cause it didnt matter to me

The second is a bulldog, Shes white with black spots, about a year old and has papers, she weighs about 50 pounds.

They are both very friendly dogs and are great with my kids. They love human attention. They are also both fixed. they get along with each other great, like best buds.

Its just the nature of the breed and it doesnt seem like we can take care of them. For the mean time, i will look into some type of fencing for a small part of the yard

The dogs are in west georgia, and I travel back and forth to South Florida alot so we can probably work something out. I will also travel to sorrounding states to give them a good home.

2. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

I sure hate to hear that GAowner. But it happens. Some ppl just don't grasp the fact that these dogs do not play well w/ other dogs. My mom is like that. I could never leave my dogs w/ her b/c she'd want to let them "play" together.

You could keep your dogs if you had a family that was pit bull savvy & had proper containment for each of the dogs. Have you looked into this option?

Either way, I hope you everything turns out for the best for you & your bullies. :(

3. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

What exactly are these "incidents" that keep happening?

4. GAowner

GAowner Pup

well i posted a few months ago that my pit attacked a neighbor dog. My female was in silent heat and this male from a few houses over tried to get on her and my male didnt tolerate that. It was a small collie and I spent almost a grand in vet bills on that. everyone replied that my dog did what was in his breed, he defended his territory since it happened in our yard.

Today, i heard the neighbor's teenager screaming and saw my dog on top of his dog. i ran out and pulled my male off him and brought him back in the garage. Then i had to shower since i slipped when running in the mud, plus i was in my jammies. So i didnt get a chance to talk to them and see what happened or how the dog was. I have no idea if my dog started it (highly doubt it) or if the other dog started it. i know the neighbors dog is dog aggressive and has been in several fights with neighborhood dogs. Since the neighbors are here sparingly (its a vacation house for them) its not too much of an issue and we keep the dogs inside when they are around.

I told my family very strongly that the dogs were not to be left out alone. BUt i spend alot of time in Florida and they just dont understand. I have been home for a few days and told them they cant keep doing it but they did. Its my fault for not putting my foot down

I know these dogs should not be left unsupervised in an unfenced yard. But my family cant seem to get it through their head. And recent circumstances have led me to be away from home most of the time. SO i think the most responsible thing to do is to find them someone who can take care of them properly. I really really care for Diablo, the male and hate to see him go but i think its not fair to him or the neighbors.

5. Aceman

Aceman Big Dog

Contain the dogs properly , fence/axle setup, or both and your problem should be solved. I would deffinetly work on the fence thing as an animal can still wonder into your yard and be attacked by a chained dog. make sure it,s a high fence an APBT can jump and climb like a monkey,,lol. Good luck.

6. very irresponsible! reminds me of the thread with the shock collars. why didn't you do something other than talk after the first time? fool me once shame on you. fool me twice shame on me.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2006
  7. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

Just curious, what is the situation? In otherwords, are you a young person living with your parents, or the head of a family, and your kids let the dogs out? Who "owns" the dogs? It sounds like the problem is, the dogs are "yours" but you aren't home enough to really care for/watch them and your family members just are not "on board".

And if that is the case, its too bad. You should never put another person in the position of having to care for YOUR dog unless you pay them for it and they have proven themselves compatent at doing so. Unless you can travel with your dogs or get your family to really "own" caring for them then rehoming would be the best option, IMO. based on what it sounds like is going on. Good luck.

8. Attila

Attila Guest

Sounds like you have made the right choice to let them go. Now for some one on site to take them and stop trying to correct error's. Shit happens folks. Dogs wander in my yard too. I shoot them. Not all have that option. As far as I am concerned other owners should keep their damn pets in their own yards. If they get into mine it isn't a yard accedent it is some one elses dumb error. I don't see the problem with the dogs nailing an outsider. so I don't see an error from those dogs getting nailed. I would have shot them for entering my yard. Done deal. Some one just take the dogs off her hands before they end up in the paper.

9. Dirty3rd

Dirty3rd Big Dog

Atiilla, I agree. I too shoot on site, but understand not all have that option. I hope someone will take these dogs before they become a victim of the press.

1 person likes this.
  10. GAowner

GAowner Pup

as far as our situation, I am married with 2 kids 5 and 10. In our old house, we had a 6 foot wooden fence. now we live on 3 acres so fencing it is not practical nor is it allowed, at least not the whole yard.

When we lived in the old house, it was easy to let the dog out for an hour since he was confined. Here it is hard since there is no fencing.

I was here full time but recent circumstances have led me to spend most of my time in another state managing a business we own until a solution can be found

So i dont rely on my mommy and daddy nor did I pawn them off on anyone else.

Tomorrow we are going to home depot and lowes to look at chain link fencing. I also need to read the HOA rules since we do live in a sub-division. Its very relaxed with only 16 homes but there is a HOA none the less

but i have a good feeling my family will slack and wont walk the 40 feet to the fenced area at 9:00 at night when its 30 degrees outside. Even tonight after telling my wife, they never should have been unsupervised, shes like " i cant believe they did that" I have explained the nature of the breed several times and it hasnt sunk in that just cause they are so good with us in the house, that they wont get into serious trouble with other dogs.

Its like leaving a loaded gun in the yard. Yeah, you came into my yard and shot yourself, but im still the asshole who left a loaded gun in the yard unsupervised.

I just think the right thing to do for everyone is to find them more responsible homes. They wont be going to the pound or anything

11. Suki

Suki Guest

I agree, in that, I think you should probably rehome them. The ABPT does involve diligent care and constant, careful supervision, and, as an owner, if that can't be done, never mind, with ANY breed, but especially with this breed, then it's time to properly place them, learn from your mistakes and chalk it all up to a learning experience. I agree with using a chain/axle setup, but if even that isn't an option for you, then hopefully you'll find a more suitable owner, and those dogs will have a great life.

Best of luck.:)

12. blackbeard

blackbeard Big Dog

Well, at least you have enough sense in you to realize what your best course of action should be. Good luck.

13. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

Man, what a drag to have a family who is not on board. :(

14. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

Yep. I already had my first APBT when I met my now husband, & I told he he could either stay on board on jump ship. That was & still is his only two options. ;)