1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

hunting

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by TERRIBLE TEXAS, Aug 5, 2004.

1. anybody like to do any hog hunting??

2. Not me! I like skeet shooting though. HAHA, actually I would never put my pit in danger to hunt a hog. nor do I find this type or any type of hunting a "sport" . My question to you is why do people hunt hogs with pits or any other animal, what is the purpose? I am not trying to be sardonic here, I truly would like to know why hogs are hunted in this fashion.

here is the story I read - among others - regarding a hog hunting story
    http://www.tx-outdoors.com/wild_boar/active_content/display_content.asp?id=8

and honestly I still don't get it. I think it is cruel all around IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2004
  3. some people just like to hunt, ive taken my male a few times, i make sure he ALWAYS has on his cut collar and cut vest, and most people take knives on these hunts, I take a 45. Some people use this way as a game test since hog hunting is legal. my dog loved it and I always hunt with a few other dogs too. when my female gets about 1.5 years old im taking her

4. I see. thanks for the reply I like fishing (catch and release) and I plan on taking Oakley (my pit) with me. My previous dog Gatling loved fishing with me.

5. ur dog likes fishing huh...lol thats cool, in a boat or in the water or how????

6. LOL, I will be taking her on a boat with me. She loves the water. Gatling use to jump out of the boat and swim towards the fish on my line. That was a little hard to bring the fish in and my dog. Oakley has quite the prey drive she has caught a bird, mole, and bumble bee so far. It will be fun to see what she does when she sees a fish. ---- The bird and mole survived her attacks though - the bumble bee did not. hee hee.

7. lol that crazy

8. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Hmmm... I dont hunt hogs with the dogs... no wild hogs were I'm at.. LOL... We hunt stray cats... LOL thats alot of fun... LOL

9. GrChPitBitch

GrChPitBitch Big Dog

Im guessing there are wild hogs were you are Tex??

10. well im in houston now, but my hometown of longview has em, i went when my dog was about 1.5 years old, with my step dads american bulldog and the bay dogs were 2 chows, but i havent been able to go since my male's dog aggression came out hard

11. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

Not to sound rude, but don't you think its a little dumb for your dog to jump out the boat and swim towards a fish on your line. I mean think about it. What if he gets himself hooked and he freaks out and gets tangled up in the line and drowns? How would you feel then? You should teach your dog not to do that. I mean it may look cute, but it really isn't. Just a safety precaution.

12. gator

gator Big Dog

I will usually go 3-4 times a year and we use buldog crosses for trail dogs and catch dogs.

13. XXKonnectionsXX - thanks for your concern.. no she will not be jumping out of the boat to get the fish I will not let her, Gatling was an avid swimmer not a fast one though. I never let him come close to my line or put him in harms way .. Oakley will not have as much freedom as Gat did. Gat and I were fishing buds for 14yrs. It will be interesting with Oakley. Gatling was a very dominant dog, did not care much for anything except for where I was, he did not have a prey drive thus, he was a great fishing bud.
    I plan on slowly introducing Oakley to my fishing routine, she (hopefully) will become my fishing partner. I would never put her in harms way.

14. where do you do ur hunting at, gator??

15. B-I-Z

B-I-Z Big Dog

im guessing the woods :D

16. hahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahah....................................................................lol, good one

17. gator

gator Big Dog

I live in North Florida and we have alot of river swamps around here and that is where we have our best luck. We bring them out alive so we can train young dogs on them so when we catch in the swamp it is a job bringing them out.

18. I guess you do not like cats? That is not funny to me anyway. Any one of those cats you "hunt" could be someones pet. or an abandoned pet. I do not think that is funny.

I hope you are joking

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  19. XxKonnectionsxX

XxKonnectionsxX Top Dog

My dog loves to try to hunt cats too. LOL, but she loves my dad's cat at his house. Its wierd. Well she won't mess with them too much. She just likes to give chase. When she was younger she got pawed by a cat really good. A bit ol tom cat she ran upon hit her good and she wined and looked at him crazy. lol. I would love to try to go hog hunting. I've never been though. Is it really that much fun?

20. Crash97

Crash97 Top Dog

From what I've been told, hog hunting with dogs sounds like a good deal of fun. It ain't a sport for the weak of heart though. I'm movin a lil more south and hopin to possibly get into a lil hunting of that type.